main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    1.) George's reasons for making Greedo shoot first are explained by him in my signature. Your reason is incorrect and uneducated (which explains why I never see you in the actual Star Wars threads in this - a Star Wars forum)
    2.) I would be VERY happy if Jackson went back and tweaked LOTR some more. The LOTR Extended Editions were a massive improvement over the already brilliant theatricals, and I know that there is still LOADS of footage unused for those films. A new 5-hour-per-film release (or completely recutting it into 6 three-hour films) would be bought by me before it even hit the shelves.

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'd rather directors just start work on new films than constantly changing the ones that people already like. Cleaning up the visuals is one thing, changing the actual content of said films many years after their release is another.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This.

4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If you want less Legolas, don't hire Ed Norton to play him.

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    These "improvements" include George Lucas taking a film that he doesn't even have directorial credit on it and inserting an entirely extraneous sequence to the climax of the film which kills the pace. He took a perfect film and botched a critical part of it.

Don't give me this tosh that these changes are for the best. They are not and have never been.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Really? Are people really still butthurt over Greedo?

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Apparently so.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Among other things.

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Greedo didn't shoot first, though. Lucas changed it when he was in his annoyingly stupid bubblegum phase, which also saw him nuke a fridge. He changed it because as a parent his kids couldn't see Han getting the drop on greedo, no sir. THat's not proper!

And I get there are people who are Gen Y and only saw these films after the prequels were a thing and as a part of this visually enhanced but soulless generation they like cosmetic changes but as they are the worst generation ever we are supposed to ignore their opinions. It's an obligation.

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

What The_Four_Dot_Elipsis was talking about was much more significant than Greedo shoots first. I believe he's talking about the shuttle sequence in ESB, no?

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

I am.

What's even more distressing about that sequence is the loss of "Bring my shuttle". Apart from everything else that is great about ESB, the fact that Vader is emotionally shattered by the end is fascinating. We get it with the baleful look back at the viewport after the Falcon escapes and the failure to kill Piett, but the fact that he's been eloquent and scathing all film, and is then reduced to "Bring my shuttle" at that point is all part of the Kersh/Kasdan tapestry. Lucas doesn't get it, plainly.

To tie it back to the topic, and I'm speaking as someone who's far from an avid fan of these films, I dearly hope that Jackson opts to leave the films as is. Ian Holm is Bilbo in the Hobbit flashback from Fellowship: Live with it. We live with Marty McFly's girlfriend being upgraded to SHUE POWER, we live with Khan recognizing Chekov from that time that he never met him, and it's OK that Telly Savalas doesn't recognize George Lazenby from 2 years prior when he was Dr. Loomis and Bond was decidedly more Scottish and famous. We can live with these things - they're movies. Use your imagination to fill in the gaps.

12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    But-but-but... I'm Gen Y and I've only seen the pre-special editions once, and I'm against the precedent.

DON'T LUMP US ALL IN ONE BIG RESPLENDENT BUT CULTURALLY AND INTELLECTUALLY LACKING BASKET!

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Finally saw part 2 in 48 FPS 3d - wow.

Loved it. Loved the 3d, loved 48fps, loved the movie. It's got loads of differences from the book but I really don't mind because the book will always be there. This was a bundle of fun and excitement. They did the Elves absolutely spot-on perfect - Tauriel is a nice addition but feels like a bad fanfic character at times. Legolas is a total jerk and is awesome. Thranduil could be a bishonen anime character and is also a jerk. Fantastic!

Martin Freeman manages to remain a highlight despite Jackson's serious efforts to undermine/overshadow him, so well done there. Smaug is awesome.

I felt like I was 5 again and discovering the story for the first time. It brought me back to the old Rankin/Bass cartoon and was just so fun. 48 FPS also made my jaw drop. Absolutely loved it. Total about-face from my prior thoughts.

14. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    What's weird is I actually got used to the 48 fps this time other than fast action sequences or anything with quick cutting. Everything else eventually became normal speed looking to me. But that still doesn't change the fact that everything looks like a costume or way worse than that a set and props. I also for the life of me can't see a discernible uptick in visual quality because the damn 3D glasses on top of my eyes just kind of darken the entire thing.

Still not a thing for me. I don't even notice the actual 3D either. It just kind of all blends together. I guess I just can't see any of the actual advantages of the technology, though one of my principle complaints was somewhat better this time around.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    A similar statement could be said for bitter fans of the OOT. My opinion is just as valid as yours.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks for telling me my taste in movies is soulless, Also thank you for insulting my generation.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Our generation is stupid and likes stupid things such as Twilight and Duck Dynasty. We deserve the feces that are thrown in our faces.

07jonesj and KED12345 like this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Actually, I am pretty sure that Duck Dynasty has had its best ratings among older demographic groups that are specifically not the most recent generation, but the one prior.

20. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I think my reply was like the opposite of butthurt. I'm not angry about any of this. I'm quite detached from it in fact.

Or in other words,
    [​IMG]

Chewgumma, Darkslayer and Bacon164 like this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think

Bloom was indeed stunning 10 years ago, they tried so hard to make Lee Pace as awesome as him but it didn't work too well.

Miranda Otto looks better in the pic than her movies, Liv is opposite, the pics don't do her justice.

Marton Csokas looked quite tough the pics and his other movies, not sure he looked like a nobody before Cate Blanchett in the movies.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow, that's a pretty cool transition

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    OK that is a VERY good point [face_laugh]

Between Twilight, Justin Bieber, and so many other stuff lol

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  24. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    A little reminder that on January 3rd, 1892, one John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa.

I would like to express my gratitude for the great mind who was born that day. I think we can all agree that our world is all the richer for his contribution, both in the scholarly and literary fields. Thank you, Professor, for having shared with us the tales of Middle-Earth, which made us dream, think and create in turn. May the light of Elbereth shine down upon you in Aman, and may your words continue to flourish onto new generations.

Lauré :)

25. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I thought Lee Pace was great. It did feel like they were setting him up to be badass in part 3, though.