main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    can never get enough legolas looks of consternation. seriously though, i'm surprised anyone expects this to be good at this point.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Only those in deep denial. Anyone else paying to see it are doing the dumb thing of "I saw the other ones, so I have to to complete the set!" No, you don't, you fool!*

*That's not to say I haven't done this foolish thing myself in the past ;) Thanks Matrix!

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Wasn't there supposed to be a dragon in this movie? :confused:

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I still think it's going to be a good blockbuster movie, if you don't use the standard of LotR Trilogy, it's not that bad.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, it did appear for a few secs.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    i'm paying to watch this so i can see cate blanchett walk barefoot on a bunch of rocks and blow up benedick cumberpatch

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I just hate this trilogy for dropping Liv Tyler/Arwen.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i'm shocked that pj left her out. she could have had an affair with some obscure dwarf from the appendices or something.

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I know, I was being sarcastic. Considering The Hobbit is mainly about a quest to steal back Dwarven gold from a fire breathing dragon, there's not a lot of fire breathing dragon on display here.

Seriously, these movies feel like the product of the bean counters at Warner Brothers trying to think up a way of how to make the most money possible. I can easily imagine the discussions that took place.

Bean Counter 1: "What did people love about Lord of the Rings?"
    Bean Counter 2: "The love story."
    Bean Counter 1: "Okay, let's invent a character and crowbar a love story into these movies with a sexy young dwarf and Orlando Bloom. Orlando Bloom is still popular right? What else?"
    Bean Counter 2: "The battle scenes."
    Bean Counter 1: "Of course! Just make an entire movie revolving around that! Even make it the focus of the title!"

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's totally predictable ever since they decided to make 3 movies over such a short book.

I think the romance is still acceptable, but use Sherlock main casts and Thranduil getting too many scenes is a bit meh.

11. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    except those bean counters were just fran walsh, ole phillipa boyens, and pete. but yeah that sounds pretty much exactly like their thought process as the films have unfolded.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  12. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Those are the most stupid arguments I've ever read. I like the Hobbit movies and I liked this trailer and I'm going to see the movie not because I'm a dumb fool that has to see to "complete the set" but because I like those movies. You don't like it, though ****, don't go see it, no one is gonna miss you, now saying that people who enjoy those movies are dumbs and fools, grow up.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I just think they are not on par with the trilogy, still awesome as ordinary blockbusters.

It's a bit like the SW prequel, ppl gave too much expectation but didn't get what they wanted. Of course, PT's problem is that it had too much stuff and couldn't cover them well in the movies. The Hobbit, simply had to add so much plot because the book is too short and not really epic.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much!

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That trailer was awesome

The movie will be awesome

Haters gonna hate!

Revanfan1 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ballers gonna ball?

I'd like to be a baller, please.

Chewgumma likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Go be a baller then, what's stopping you?

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't know how :(

19. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    quit double posting diggy

Chewgumma likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm not?

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    "i don't like these movies" is a stupid argument? sorry, but no. it's a subjective opinion no different from yours. i don't think you're "wrong" for liking these movies, i just think you have bad taste. and while it may be a subjective opinion that these movies are good or bad, it's an objective fact that they are terrible adaptations of the novel, "the hobbit". and since that book happens to have been a very dear piece of literature to me since my very early childhood, i am here in this thread, bothering to post about terrible movies.

22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think they're bad movies. At least bad movies are memorable.

23. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I agree completely with 100% with your first sentence. I also think they're lesser movies than LOTR but where LOTR are 10/10 movies the Hobbit are 8/9 for me.

I also have a lot of problems with the Hobbit movies (the overuse of the CGI and green screen over practical stuff, the ditch of the bigatures over the 3D 48 fps extravaganza, the bad composite shots and inconsistency of the quality of the CG stuff and the Tauriel/Kili love story) but I still enjoy those movies very much.

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Jackson had a tough job. He had to spin up the works to franchizable rpms for the WB overlords and cater to the desires of the LOTR movie fans and at the same time calibrate an appropriate tone for the Hobbit's lighter plot. And he failed. He Jar Jar Binxed it. He Ewoked it. He Temple of Doomed it. I'm not entirely sure it would have been possible to get it right.

Rew likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Were there people riding rams into battle in the book? Maybe there were, but that seemed out of the blue otherwise. I enjoyed the first two Hobbit movies well enough (not as much as LOTR, but those were flawed too). But this trailer just kind of seems "there". As in, yup, a bunch of stuff is happening. Noted. But it's "the defining chapter of the Middle-earth Saga".