main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Keeper of the Dungeon who tried to kill Gandalf

[​IMG]

Original design for Bolg

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Wasn't Aragorn a toddler during the time of the Hobbit? Why would he already become the Strider?

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    No 17 year gap in movie-verse.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

10 years old, during the events of The Hobbit

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    From Wikipedia:

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies- Pretty good. Easily the best of these three movies and the one closest in quality to LOTR. Not without its flaws here and there but still very entertaining and was cool to experience in IMAX.

However, the HFR (High Frame Rate) is way ****ing annoying at worst and just plain distracting at best, giving the film a "Jim Henson filmed this on video in the 80's" look to it.

To be fair, it's usually not as bad as those high refresh rate TVs you find on display in major chain stores (or that people who somehow can't tell the difference don't realize their TV is set to) that generate the dreaded "soap opera effect" (especially since this isn't adding picture information creating those momentary fast-forward motion tracking problems that plague such TVs), so there is a slight argument to be made in favor of an intentional aesthetic... until the camera moves horizontally or anything moves quickly side to side within the frame and Boom!, we're back into distracting momentary fast forward visual motion glitches that break even the "video reality" effect the HFR is trying to achieve.

The technology just isn't there yet- I don't think even James Cameron can fix it (but, unfortunately, he's going to try with the Avatar sequels- movies I'd much rather look consistent with the original [which I actually quite like]).

But... HFR issues aside, it's still a cool flick that does a good job of setting up and acting as a prelude to the LOTR that actually improves LOTR's questionable handling of certain characters and their related exposition (Cate Blanchett's "Nega-Zelda" moment and the general handling of Saruman being prime examples, Legolas's journey a little less so).

In the long run, those LOTR setup moments balance out some of the more questionable content from the book (as I understand it, at least), even if this series did not have to be 3 films long (and would have been much more entertaining as 2 films).

And so begins the plans to re-edit these films back down to 2...

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just got back from taking my kids to this one for the sake of completion. so proud that they share most of my complaints and that we could have a great venting session on the car ride home. that was almost worth the price of admission.

i guess i can see how someone who hasn't read the book or someone who just isn't very attached to it could like these movies. if watching cgi creatures chase and battle each other for a long time is your thing, then cool. but for the rest of us this will always be a missed opportunity. jackson clearly loves middle earth, he almost always nails the design and the look of the world. and in these films he gets an occasional moment just right. but those moments are so few and far between that they become a tease, a taste of what these films could have been if he had simply committed himself to telling the story of the hobbit. instead it's as if he feels he must constantly up the stakes, as if the story tolkien wrote wasn't good enough. like he wasn't trying to adapt tolkien, he was trying to top him. or more likely he felt that he had to top his own lord of the rings trilogy, but the result is that the charm and character of tolkien's work are unrecognizable in these new films. it's a shame.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I predict a great fan-edit whittling all this bloat down to the single 2.5-3hr movie it should have been.

yankee8255 likes this.
  9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I would have liked to see Jackson have the guts to say "This is The Hobbit, not LOTR" and follow the book and have Bilbo knocked unconscious for the climactic battle just as in the books. We had Helm's Deep, Pelennor Fields and Black Gate. We didn't need another battle.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I actually liked the HFR in AUJ once it got past the prologue sequence...

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I saw TDOS in IMAX, must say it was quite awesome, especially the Smaug/Bilbo scenes. I can't say the visuals ever bothered me, the movies' problems are so much more fundamental than that.

For that matter, I thought the Smaug/Bilbo scenes were the best thing in the first two movies, period, and pretty much the main reason I would rank it ahead of AUJ.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    This is how I rank them

FOTR
    ROTK
    TTT
    AUJ
    BOTFA
    TDOS

So what happened to the Arkenstone? Was it eaten by a bat which was eaten by a paratrooper bear which was then eaten by a giant graboid?

13. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Slowpokeking, what Bacon164 and Legolas Skywalker said. The 17 year gap in Fellowship between Bilbo's departure and Frodo's was compressed to one year in the film. The extended edition of Two Towers gave Aragorn's age as 87, which matches with the book - he turned 88 during the last days of the War. Since the 17 year gap was thrown out, but the 60 year gap between Hobbit/LOTR remains, that puts Aragorn as 26-27 in the Hobbit films.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It was quite odd for Thranduil to mention him when Legolas was so sad about Tauriel. Shouldn't he say something like "There is a beautiful girl in Rivendell, you should meet her"?

15. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005

I think the two-film deal was the strongest possible combination with Jackson. He's either never worked well with editors or has never had a good one and I'm not convinced he could have made one, well-paced, faithful adaptation of the book.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, 2 movies should have been the best deal.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    24 hours until Hobbit showtime for my son and me.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    seeing it with the boys tomorrow as well

EHT likes this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Arwen would have turned him down cause you know Aragorn

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    She hadn't met Aragorn yet.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Still

Aragorn and Arwen are perfect for each other :p

22. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Isn't it obvious Jackson's next Middle-earth film will focus around a love triangle between Elessar, Undomiel, and Greenleaf? Following the events of The Hobbit trilogy, Mithrandir will learn of the halfling's riddle game, and will amass a coalition to hunt down the half-wraith before Sauron learns of his secrets (never mind the plot hole about Gandalf not having any idea Bilbo's magic ring might be the Ring) and thinks the Shire must be his first target for domination. An Elven prince and an Elven princess will be chosen by Mithrandir to hunt Gollum in the wilderness, but they need the skills of a ranger to track him down. But in these years, Thorongil serves Ecthelion, so Gandalf must have the steward assassinated so that Denethor, having secretly deduced the identity of his father's loyal servant, will banish the hidden king from the borders of Gondor. The four heroes united, Elessar, Arwen, Legolas, and Mithrandir track Gollum to the Gladden Fields where curiously, they find Curunír taking a swim. Alas, the One is not there. Curunír updates the grey wizard on his own hunt for Sauron, but takes a hike to Isengard when Mithrandir briefly suspects foul play that dissipates with a whiff of the Halfling's leaf. Eventually, the four come into contact with Gollum and attempt to break him. But while Sméagol has his own repressed desires, Arwen finds she has some of her own. Having been forced out of Imladris to hone her warrior skills, Arwen will be forced to choose between an eternal love with the Elven prince of Mirkwood and a brief but all-consuming passion with a mortal man of Numénor, the heir of Isildur. When Mithrandir cannot convince Gollum to speak the name of Baggins, he has him taken to the Heart of Elfdom, where Daveigh Chase interrogates the creature, but in her lack of control accidentally sends the creature flying hundreds of miles through the air into the gates of the enemy's lands. Arwen and Elessar, meanwhile, consummate their love with the help of a small leaf of elanor, and Greenleaf is once again relegated to the role of immortal bachelor, doomed to find love only in the company of dwarves. Mithrandir, following a heated argument with Daveigh Chase, gives up the search for Gollum due to a birthday invitation. He and Elssar stop in Hollin and orders a bunch of fireworks. They are delivered to Imladris, where Mithrandir picks them up. And so it will be that Mithrandir and Elessar ride west in a wagon, passing the hills surrounding Amon Sul in the North, and in the early weeks of August, come upon the village of Bree. Mithrandir is very excited about his friend's birthday party, and tells Elessar to have the rangers keep a closer watch on the Shire. Mithrandir then rides his wagon south through the Barrow-Downs and comes across the lands of Bombadil. The hidden powers are introduced here for the first time, and the lowly Istari recreates the adventures of the Old Forest backwards in his quest to reach Bilbo's party on time. After many adventures, he passes the Western Hedge and enters Crickhollow, crosses Buckleberry Ferry, and begins to sing a song he learned from the birthday boy in their adventures in the East. As he enters the woods of the East Farthing, the camera pans into his box of fireworks as we hear a familiar voice shout: "You're late!" Mirthandir utters the familiar reply, and we fade to black amidst the laughter of friends.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    What in the world?

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Marrying a man is one thing (after all, Tuor was his grandfather, Beren his great grandfather) -- but there's absolutely no way Elrond would stand for Arwen marrying a Silvan Elf!

[​IMG]

25. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    All the more fodder for the extended edition.