main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    It made the Prequels look like masterpieces on par with Lawrence of Arabia.

Funny thing, I watched part of Conan this week. Conan was a great fantasy movie outside of the blood. I can't say Conan had a ton of character development, but it didn't pretend. And the special effects of such a movie, or lack thereof, were so much more tangible.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Too bad Conan the Destroyer is the worst film of the 80's or any decade.

3. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    But not The Barbarian

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    How did you get the material of the third movie?

5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well I saw the film with my cousin and his children and they all enjoyed it a lot as did I.
    It is not great but good and enjoyable.

As for Thorin, in the book he gets really greedy and doesn't want to part with any money and shoots an arrow at those who are sent to parley with him. He gets obsessed with the Arkenstone and like in the film, he makes a threat against those that would take it from him. Tolkien calls it "Dragon sickness" so PJ played it up to be sure but he didn't invent it.
    Smaug says that he will not part with a single coin and in the third film Thorin echoes that sentiment.

As for BO, if we compare with the other LotR film, which all opened on a Wednesday, it had a bigger Thursday drop but, if the estimates are accurate, it had a bigger increase on Friday and Saturday than all three of them.
    It is unlikely to reach 300 M$ but it has a chance to out gross DOS.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What happened to the Windlance crossbow thing in TBOFA? I'm sure there is a bit in TDOS where Bard looks and sees it mounted somewhere in Lake town. Yet when Smaug attacks you never see it, Bard makes no attempt to even go to it.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe that will be explained in the EE?

8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Really?

No Red Sonya?

VadersLaMent likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    My thought exactly–that was probably the first thing Smaug destroyed when he started his attack.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So, I have been absent from this thread since I finished my countdown. I am sure you all were eagerly anticipating my thoughts :p

I saw the film on Friday with my brother - this is our third year in a row doing this, we have had a fun tradition of going to the Hobbit movies each December ever since I started college.

For the most part I liked the movie. However I had two main issues:

1) There was way too much Legolas. He should have been a cameo at most, but instead they give him Beorn's role? I was really dissapointed with that. There was a day after I saw the movie where I could not get Orlando Bloom out of my head.
    2) The film felt like it had a lot of stuff missing

It was good but I still can't decide how I feel about it. Unfortunately I feel like I might have to wait for the EE to give a firm opinion on this movie. I'm debating whether or not I should see it again. For AUJ, a second viewing had me enjoying it even more. For DOS though it had me liking it less. All in all, this movie gave plenty to talk about lol.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I saw this with my son on Saturday. Our immediate reaction was that we both really enjoyed it. I've had some time to let it sink in more by this point, and I actually still really like the movie; quite a bit more than I expected to.

It did of course have some annoying parts: Legolas being overpowered (especially running up the falling rocks), way too much time spent on Alfred for no payoff, awkward lines from Thranduil at the end with Tauriel and Legolas, and the forced reference to Aragorn (who was apparently only 10 at this time) by Thranduil to Legolas. There are others, but those are probably the main ones for me.

But overall, I thought it was quite good. The battle itself didn't feel as long as I expected it to, and the action was good. The movie actually feels lean in comparison to the other Hobbit movies (and, for that matter, compared to the LOTR movies too). The opening scene with Smaug was great. After that, I liked how it showed how Smaug being alive and in the mountain had kept everyone at bay, but once news of his death spread, everyone's greed was getting the better of them, and they were converging there and willing to fight each other. Only the arrival of the orc armies stopped that from happening, by presenting a larger threat and a common foe. I did feel some emotional impact when Thorin, Killi, and Filli died, and Bilbo's scene by Thorin was pretty powerful.

Also, I really liked the final scene... Legolas Skywalker : the scene you were describing for me before ended up being great. I loved seeing the early scene from FOTR, repeated again from Bilbo's perspective inside his house. That was the perfect final way to tie this trilogy into the LOTR trilogy, and I do think this movie actually accomplished that "full circle" thing more than I thought it would.

So overall, this was a flawed but still very good movie, in my opinion. I'm sure it helps that I haven't read the novel, and therefore can't compare to it directly. But honestly, that argument about how much these movies differ from the novel has kind of been out there since AUJ came out. Watching it just as a movie, and as the final movie of the Hobbit trilogy, made it pretty satisfying for me. So I think it ended up being slightly ahead of the first two for me, and I would say my now complete Middle-earth film ranking goes like this:

FOTR
    ROTK
    TTT
    TBOTFA
    TDOS
    AUJ

Also, I have the Hobbit movies behind the LOTR movies in that list, but they are basically just behind them; I don't see a huge chasm between the two trilogies like many do. So keeping it that way (and mostly successfully tying back to LOTR) is one of the successes of TBOTFA for me.

Arawn_Fenn and Todd the Jedi like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    A couple of my favorite parts of the film, in true Darkslayer fashion ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    My favourite parts was the Legolas scenes

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    My favorite part was the Saruman scene. Shocker, I know :p

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Big shock really :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, I've read plenty of reviews and blogs that didn't like the whole Dol Guldur detour, but after that sequence in the latest film, I loved it. I imagine I'll be rewatching that White Council vs. Nazgul sequence for a long time to come.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Apparently we might get the Thorin funeral in the EE

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dwarf dude with the giant hammer using a giant pig as a mount into battle was cool.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That was Dain

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I bet that hog would make great bacon.

Rebel_Padawan likes this.
  21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Dain looked like they CGI'd Billy Conolloy's head onto an action figure.

I think the second movie's the best of the three. It's fun, the action is cartoonishly great, and Smaug is way more interesting than an Orc we have to read subtitles for.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This movie is everything wrong with our culture today.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    And I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun playing the Legolas Assassin's Creed clone video game when it is released.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    You know....that sounds like a fun game :p

Would be better than Unity