main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I seem to recall PJ saying in at least one of the EE commentary tracks that he considers the EEs to be the definitive versions of the films. When did he say he prefers the TEs?

As for the existence of EEs, it was my understanding that the theaters insisted on shorter running times, so the only way PJ could offer us the whole story was by releasing it on DVD.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    New Line would be the ones who insisted on a shorter running time, if anything. Not theaters. The idea of the EEs supposedly came about when PJ had to cut the gift-giving scene out of Fellowship. He has said multiple times that while the EEs will be the definitive cuts in the eyes of the fans because a (extended edition) DVD has much greater longevity than a theatrical screening, his decisions that he made while dwindling them down to the theatrical cuts are directional decisions, his ultimate preferences and his director's cut. That's why they're called extended editions and not director's cuts. So the answer to your question is that he probably said he prefers the TEs in the same conversation that he called the EEs the definitive versions. I don't have any of the commentaries or eleven hours to spare to verify.

Edit - I think the essence of whatever he said would be that he believes in the creative integrity of his theatrical cuts. As to which one he prefers or whatever, I don't care to make an argument beyond this point.

EHT likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Now that TBOTFA has come out, would it make sense to update this thread title as the "LOTR and The Hobbit: the Films" thread or something like that? The conversation generally seems to encompass all of the Middle-earth films.

Note: This isn't my forum, so I'm not changing it... just asking. :)

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That would seem appropriate.

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    In a previous post I said:

The current numbers at Box Office Mojo seem to support the analysis made in the Hollywood Reporter. As is, the worldwide gross of BOFA sits at 951 million, of which 73.3% come from the foreign markets, the highest proportion for all Middle-Earth movies. Give or take about five millions, the foreign gross (and indeed, the domestic one) is the same for BOFA and DOS, the latter of which wasn't considered a failure by the industry. What this means is that, given the strength of the dollar of late, more tickets were actually sold in the foreign markets for BOFA than DOS, making it an all-around success by any standards. These figures do make a convincing case for the "lost 90 million" that BOFA should have made, had the exchange rate remained the same.

In a more general frame of mind, this is a stark illustration that the home market isn't as important as it used to be, and that studio execs should take care to court the foreign markets to generate more profit for their films.

BigAl6ft6 and Samuel Vimes like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  9. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    The last part is the interesting one:

Not sure if they had any agreement with Tolkien estate...

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't worry, they'll be split into three parts for bathroom/vomit breaks.

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Can you even be innovative with a rollercoaster's frame rate?

CT-867-5309 and Diggy like this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    There's a mandatory three hour line for each ride that will require walking great distances, and the rides themselves will also involve walking.

14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Actually, not sarcastically, you can. If it's like the main Harry Potter ride at Universal.

15. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Laketown?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That was a fun experience, I got to go there as a graduation gift a few years ago - for someone who grew up reading Harry Potter it was awesome! Hopefully this will be just as good!

17. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Except that it seems unlikely to actually happen.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed... that part seemed strange to me too. I kind of doubt that the Tolkien estate would be on board with this. Which is ironic, because the creators of this park may have thought that working with New Line to have Middle-earth movie inspired stuff could be too expensive. Either way, this sounds like it would be more like a regular park that happens to feel like you're in the Shire and other Middle-earth areas than a true theme park (with the possible exception of that kind of unclear part in the first sentence below).

"The park will intergrate certain augmented reality features. It will be split into multiple zones, including Zona de Adventura, which will have attractions inspired by Tokien’s works, including climbing walls, hobbit homes, swings and slides. The park’s center point will be a moderate-sized lake."

I kind of doubt this would be able to rival the Harry Potter stuff at Universal in terms of scope, especially where actual rides are concerned.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If I don't want to walk from one side of the park to the other, can I just ask the Eagles to fly me to the other side?

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No. And if you want them to do you a favour, save you a long, arduous journey to drop a ring in a volcano, they won't do that either. The selfish ****s.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I just assumed that in FOTR, after the eagles saved Gandalf from Isengard, they told him they were all going to a convention and would be unavailable.

Or they all have Asperger's.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Possibly, but they'll probably take you about halfway and then leave you in some dangerous high place.

TiniTinyTony and Diggy like this.
  23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Only at the end of the day. They're too selfish to help you in the morning.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Can I use a Palantir to preview the best parts of the park?

Darkslayer, TiniTinyTony and EHT like this.
  25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Some posters over at boxofficetheory.com have done some calculations of the how the three Hobbit films would have done with different exchange rates.
    http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/i...-five-armies-os-thread-700m-os-passed/page-35

So BotfA was the most seen film of all three Hobbit films. World wide of course.

If the dollar remains this strong or gets even stronger, this could have an impact on the WW gross of the second Avengers film and even EP VII.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

laurethiel1138 likes this.