main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    To which part, the "April 1st" part or the "no thanks" part? If April 1st, the article seems a little too snarky about the revelation that HBO was working on this while we were being told by Jackson that it couldn't happen because of the Tolkien estate... hence the timing seemed odd, and they might do this as a joke because some fans have been wanting this.

As far as me saying "no thanks", I'm just not thinking this would work very well. I haven't read The Silmarillion, but from what I've read about it, it doesn't sound like it would translate well to a movie or a multi-part series like this. Maybe I'm also just hoping the Middle-earth film saga can now actually be complete like TBOTFA's marketing suggested (even though, yes, this wouldn't technically be a movie).

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Hell, I remember when the plan was one film based on The Hobbit and one that was meant to be an interquel.

3. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I remember that. I wonder what that interquel would have included... I guess it would have been an original story set during the open time after The Hobbit and before LOTR, but I wonder what details it would have actually covered. As it was, I thought one of the better parts of TBOTFA was at the end when we're inside Bilbo's house with him and we hear Gandalf say "an old friend" from outside the door; the flip of the scene at the beginning of FOTR when we see the same scene from Gandalf's perspective outside the house.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    People who post fake articles on April 1st thinking they're legit are so adorable.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    There'd be a bit to play with if Viggo was on board. There was a period where Aragorn served under Denethor's father, he fought in some wars with Rohan, and they'd probably explore some more material with Liv Tyler. And there's him capturing Gollum (yes, it technically takes place after Bilbo's party, but c'mon). I also imagine they'd explore Saruman's corruption and the last meetings of the White Council. And of course there's the massacre of Balin's company in Moria. How all of this would come together in a coherent narrative I have no idea.

laurethiel1138 and EHT like this.
  6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

So definitely under a different director than Peter Jackson? :p

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Just because it was posted on April Fool's Day doesn't mean it can't be true :p

Darkslayer and EHT like this.
  9. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I've read it and think it would work well as a mini-series, with the right direction. Then again, it may be better just to leave it in a book.

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    So I finally got to watching BOTFA on Blu-Ray, I actually liked it! I found much better than Desolation overall as a movie. I really liked how the film opened with Smaug's attack and death before showing the title, worked very well. What I didn't like was the pointless time wasted resolving the Gandalf/White Council subplot and Legolas/Tauriel adventure at Gundabad, I think those would of fit better being finished up in DOS. It was very VERY neat seeing Saruman, Elrond, and Galadriel wreck up some Nazgul...but felt kinda pointless in this film.

Overall I don't regret buying it and very excited for the hopefully superior extended edition.

The CGI Dain and Killi death scene/Tauriel reaction was kinda ridiculous.

11. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I got the Blu-Ray too and I can say I enjoyed it more than I remembered it.

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I just found out that they won't be making/releasing the BotFA DLC for the Lego Hobbit game.

I am distraught. :(

darskpine10 and Darkslayer like this.
  13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Really?! So Lego Hobbit is just going to be the two movies, that's unfortunate. Unless they just instead are making a Lego Hobbit 2

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

It exclusively means it can't be true.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Or at least that one should have their BS detector turned all the way up. :p

Darth_Invidious and Darkslayer like this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I... made you fall for that article and then link it here? [face_dunno] :p

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You took away his BS Detector!!

EHT likes this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Yes.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Starring:

Ian McKellan's stunt double
    Christopher Lee's stunt double
    The Girl from the Ring
    wait, is that Bryan Cranston?

I lost it [face_rofl]

EHT and Ghost like this.
  21. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I have a question for anyone who saw Battle of the Five Armies in the theater. Does anyone remember during Thorin's death, at the beginning of the scene when he's talking with Bilbo, a quick shot of his wound oozing blood?

It's not on the DVD, but I remember that so clearly when I saw it in the theater because it grossed me out a little.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I think I seen it on the Blu Ray but don't remember

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    R.I.P. Andrew Lesnie.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  24. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I saw that a few days ago. No cause had been determined/released at that point.

I think it speaks to the power and influence of DVD that I/we even know who that is. 20 years ago the Andrew Lesnie's of the world were virtually anonymous--even if they were award winners--but DVD supplements turned them into familiar faces. Particularly the LOTR, where the Extended Edition box set had two discs full of supplements (and four commentary tracks), and all the departments get a huge chunk of their own time.

TX-20 likes this.
  25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Dredging up an old topic (which I know we've discussed here before)... the Eagle "plot-hole". I just noticed this new article that seems to pull together points I'd heard before, but which seems to do so in a more complete and (at least somewhat) more convincing manner than I had seen before: One does not simply fly into Mordor.

laurethiel1138 likes this.