main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'll always love the line 'My master, Sauron the great, bids thee welcome.'

It's dripping with menace.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Just like THAT mouth is dripping...gods know what.

Jedi Merkurian , TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Rotk is rich with sloppy cuts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Shouldn't the cover be Legolas doing something ridiculous, or an elf ear or something?

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    And that's not even the Expanded Edition.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

It would dwarf the above pictured book. (I know, bad pun). :p

TX-20 likes this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, this is the new cover:
    [​IMG]

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    So I mentioned in here about a month ago that I did a full marathon of the Hobbit and LOTR; all six movies (theatrical version) in order. Viewing them all that way in full actually worked pretty well. But it seems like that was maybe the only way to still enjoy the Hobbit movies very much for me, or maybe the last time I could enjoy them very much. I tried watching TBOTFA again on the airplane the other day, and I pretty much had to fast-forward through a lot of it. I watched the death of Smaug, then fast forwarded through most of it to watch everything after the battle... from Bilbo sitting with Gandalf, saying goodbye to the dwarves, and then going home, and then the cool ending with the "very old friends" part. It's an issue that I don't think the LOTR movies have, but that I do think the other Hobbit movies have too. It reminds me of how many have said that the Hobbit could probably have been better done in two movies instead of three.

BigAl6ft6 and darskpine10 like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Hobbit could've been done in one ****ing movie.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

I still haven't done the marathon yet.

I'm waiting on the Extended Edition for the Five Armies first.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Man, doing the marathon with all EE's will be a verrry long marathon. :p

Darkslayer, TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I think a tight, compelling single film of about 3 hours in length could be assembled from the three Hobbit movies. One Fan Edit to find them, etc. If Rankin-Bass could do it in 43 minutes, some inspired fan out there can accomplish wonders in 180.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I guess that could be possible; it could probably all be boiled down to one solidly packed 3 hour movie.

15. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Imagine! No embarrassing rock giants! No video-game-like whirlwinds through the goblin caves! The trolls' sequence carved down to a few brisk essentials! Removal of all White Council, Radagast and Dol Guldur material! A single, 3-hour Hobbit film that can be enjoyed by purists and fans alike.

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So long as separate movies are made to cover White Council, Dol Guldur, Radagast, etc...

17. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    You make that one, and I'll do the first one... as soon as I get some editing software. Deal? :D

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Speaking of Hobbit edits... Bacon164 : weren't you talking about working on something for this earlier?

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I read LOTR from start to finish once in a transatlantic flight from Chicago, but that same flight isn't long enough to watch the EE version of the film trilogy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    trying to edit jackson's hobbit into a good film can only end in disappointment.

21. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I stand by the idea that there's a good movie in there somewhere. Many a brisk, efficient flick started out as a sprawling faux-epic. Look at what the editors achieved with Jaws, for example. Or the original Star Wars. I don't mean Jackson's Hobbit could be as excellent as those films, but paring it down to its core through following the book might yield a surprisingly effective fantasy film.

22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Tom's ultimately right, but I can't help but agree with you, having watched a self-made 3 hour cut of the three films. The heart of the trilogy is supposed to be Thorin/Bilbo, but when you pare the films down to something the length of Fellowship, there's a beautiful payoff to a relationship that is ultimately explored very little, even when leaving every development between the two in the final cut. Despite that disappointment, there is a joy in seeing the author's intended pacing expressed on screen, with the benefits of brevity and the removal of all padded material by the screenwriters.

Edit - only read the last two posts. Yeah I made two cuts — one with the mindset of a theatrical release (all about Bilbo, ala Fellowship) and one with the mindset of FOTR's EE, i.e. added material that world-builds and develops supporting characters without grinding the film to a halt. Their run times are roughly equivalent to ROTK's theatrical and extended cuts.

EHT, BigAl6ft6 and tom like this.
  23. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The problem is that there's not enough true-to-tolkien footage in the films to make a great film edit.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  24. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    If the Hobbit movie(s) were "true to Tolkien" we'd have talking animals, a condescending narrator, silly asides, an overall lack of detail, indistinguishable dwarves, a juvenile tone, no backstory or character depth, and a story told entirely from Bilbo's POV with the exception of Bard slaying the dragon.

Frankly I prefer the movies. (This is not the case, however, with The Lord of the Rings, which is a superior literary masterpiece in every sense of the term, and which the film versions routinely dumb down and crowd-please up, to my chagrin.)

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    my only criticism of the Lord of the Rings movies, apart from the fact that Fellowship of the Rings was the only truly great film of the three, is that the art design locked into a late 1970s-era pop culture dogma about what Middle Earth was supposed to look like. It makes sense, because Jackson came out of that period of fantasy lit fandom. It was also however a commercial decision about what hardcore Tolkien fans were expecting to see, and hardcore Tolkien fans coming out of the 70s and 80s all expected to see Lothlorien look like it was designed by John Howe and Alan Lee.

I know it's an oddball complaint that Jackson's Middle Earth looked conventional and completely uninspired and missed an opportunity to create Middle Earth from scratch.

Everyone knows Middle Earth should have been designed by H.R. Giger.

Sarge likes this.