main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Because we loved the LOTR films and were thrilled when it was announced he would direct. Thus making our disappointment so much greater now.

solo77 and Ender Sai like this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Everything else I can buy, but briskly paced these films are not, especially in comparison to LOTR.

...ok maybe BOTFA is more brisk than ROTK, but the pacing is abysmal in both

3. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Your opinion of what constitutes "abysmal pacing" and mine are quite different, Bacon164. Even the most brisk of the LOTR films, FOTR, is ponderously slow-moving IMO. I like them, mind you, but I find the Hobbit movies move more quickly and are more fun overall than the dreadfully-serious LOTR movies. The decision to leave off the languid slo-mo used in LOTR was a step in the right direction, I think.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Keep in mind, even with the added material re: the White Council and Dol Guldur, the Hobbit is considerably shorter than Lord of the Rings, so it's going to move more quickly.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  5. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Sure, and that's just what I'm getting at. The entire story is more briskly paced, IE it moves more quickly. The story is told more efficiently, and it's lighter-hearted to boot.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Except Hobbit legit had a scene where the Evil Bag Orc Dude PUNCHED UP THROUGH THE ICE AND GRABBED THORIN BECAUSE HE WAS SO OBVIOUSLY GOING TO.

If I could beat Peter Jackson to death with a bag of M&Ms for that, I would.

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Star Wars prequels take that prize.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Nice to see support for these movies. I have a couple issues with them, but overall they were very enjoyable. It really helps that Freeman's Bilbo is by far the most enjoyable Hobbit to watch in my opinion (and that is saying something - look what came before him: Wood, Astin, etc.).

I hadn't pegged you as a prequel hater TX :( I liked both trilogies, but I thought the PT was better than TH.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That just says you have to taste, Darkslayer. Prequels - Star Wars and Hobbit - are inherently awful and inferior, and I suppose if all your mind needs is visuals to be sated then sure, they're both ace.

10. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    So you dislike prequels in general for your own personal reasons. Okay, so you don't find anything of value in the Hobbitses except the visuals. Where your undoubtedly prodigious intellect appears to fail you, Ender Sai, is in imagining that others might see something of value that you don't. Beyond the obviously superb production qualities of costume, art design, cinematography, prop crafting, animation, motion capture and, yes, acting, there are narrative techniques such as foreshadowing, backstory, character development, world-building, and dialogue that are all excellent in The Hobbitses, and can and should be discussed among fans, without cranky naysayers butting in to remind us how awful they (you) think these Middle-earth (and other assorted) prequels are. We get it, you don't like 'em. Do you mind if we take a moment to extol their virtues without you belittling us? Thanks.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah but at least The Lovely Bones has Marky Mark staring at nothingness for 2 hours. I'd rather watch that than...
    [​IMG]

12. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Then why did you post it as a repetitive gif till the end of time? :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I just prefer The Hobbits to the Prequels.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes, but Hotpotato Wriggledfree, you conflate all of those with anything of weight. That the Hobbit films were visually appealing is in and of itself not a substitute for quality of story. They were cynically obviously marketing ploys, interested more in the accumulation of greater box office revenues than in telling a story.

If you like a film because it's pretty but vacuous I'm sure you'd find Paris Hilton engaging too.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    While I greatly agree with your sentiment, I've learned to just accept Ender, he is who he is, right Ender Sai :) Doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the Star Wars prequels and The Hobbit trilogy.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but I am right.

solo77 likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

Paris Hilton isn't pretty, and I don't think the Hobbit movies were either.

20. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Emu Sick, you seem to be confusing your personal opinion with unarguable fact. You're also expressing certain insight into the minds and motivations of the filmmakers. I disagree with you on both counts. Sure, the purpose of any commercial endeavor is so obviously to generate income that I wonder why you even point it out. All jobs are like that, as you might have noticed. But there are artistic wonders to be admired in the Hobbit movies that transcend the cynical and simplistic "movie=money" equation you've posited. In the interest of expanding your mind I invite you, if you can stand it, to watch some of the making-of stuff attached to the EEs of AUJ and DOS. The insight into the creative process involved in designing the films makes it clear that these are/were labors of love, not purely of commerce. The artisans and craftspersons hired (and yes, paid real money! :eek:) to realize the visual aspects of the productions were plainly committed passionately to the projects. Your uninformed reduction to absurdity of their years of masterful artworks does nothing to undermine their achievement, or our (fans') enjoyment of it.

Beyond the visual achievements of the Hobbitses, there is a lot to admire in the story elements of the adaptations -- foreshadowing, backstory, character development, world-building, dialogue, etc. -- which you seem to prefer to ignore. Fine, okay, you don't like it. We've established that. I'm going to move on with my life now.

Darkslayer and laurethiel1138 like this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So I think it's mostly morbid curiosity coming out of buying that obnoxious too many discs version of the Lord of the Rings, but I kind of want to watch AUJ. Since there are people who post in this thread who actually like the film and have a chance to catch me with no preconceptions (Well, other than "Man they took my favorite book from when I was eight and added a bunch of stuff from the appendices to make it three movies"), I kind of wanted an opinion - theatrical cut or extended cut? Um, in terms of the more solid film watching experience, not "you only get to see the tap dancing walrus in the extended cut!", if possible.

Edit: Unless there actually is a tap dancing walrus in the EE, in which case let me know. To hell with pacing then.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The extended cut only adds like 10 minutes, mainly the Gandalf/Saruman/Galadriel scene, so I don't think it matters either way. I still think AUJ is good, just not great.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I feel like I have to say "theatrical cut" here because of

the "Underground" song.[face_sick]

So, utterly hilarious then?

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You understand my post as much as Peej understands The Hobbit.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    "theatrical cut to avoid the naked cgi dwarves"

...if that's not the greatest argument for the extended edition, i don't know what is.