main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, in the EE, Michael Parks kidnaps Bilbo and surgically turns him into a walrus.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ramza - have you seen TDOS and TBOTFA? I'm just curious because you only mentioned AUJ. At any rate, here's my take. I own the LOTR on Blu-ray, but I don't own the Hobbit movies. Earlier this summer I descended into madness and watched all six Middle-earth movies as a marathon. I'd seen the Hobbit movies before that point, one time each in the theater with my son, but I didn't want to buy them on Blu-ray/DVD. So for the marathon, I rented them from Redbox, and they only had the theatrical versions available. That was fine with me, though, because I tend not to like any of the Middle-earth film EEs anyway (and I had seen the EE extra scenes on YouTube already). So it might depend on whether you want to buy the movie or just rent it, unless you do have the EE available as a renting option.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, I haven't seen any of them, but I don't really like power marathoning so I'm only toying with seeing the first one for now. Might watch the other two if I then feel so inclined.

EHT likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's called bingewatching! What the hell kind of millennial are you?

BigAl6ft6, Random Comments and TX-20 like this.
  5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm, I tend to think of "bingewatching" as being more for TV shows. :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've always felt like a "bingewatch" means I'm catching a couple of episodes or a movie a day whereas a "power marathon" is a solid viewing chunk.

7. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I recommend the EE versions because they're more complete and more thorough, though I might suggest watching each in two installments. The pacing drags otherwise, I can certainly concede that much.

BigAl6ft6 and Darkslayer like this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Do you mean the The LOTR EEs? I agree those were very good. I can't fathom more of The Hobbit films though. Ugh.

Bacon164 likes this.
  9. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Well, uh, no. I was answering @Ramza's question about which version of The Hobbit movies we might recommend. You must have missed my earlier posts in which I extolled the virtues of the Hobbitses. I understand that's something of a minority opinion around here.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, he (Ramza) was actually just asking about AUJ at this point. At any rate, I'd vote for theatrical. One thing that all of the Hobbit movies suffer from (even in theatrical form) is that they just move too slowly / take too long / have too much "padding" in them... IMO. TBOTFA probably has this issue the least, though.

Bacon164 likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Whenever I see "AUJ", I keep thinking "Australia Junkie" for some reason.

12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I own on DVD but truly dislike and regret buying the LOTR extended editions. The theatrical version of Fellowship of the Rings is a nearly flawless movie, and really I could jettison the rest of Jackson's Middle Earth and never think about it again.

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I just have the theatrical versions on Blu-ray (the ones that come together in one slim case); that works for me.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  14. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    After a decade+ of watching only the EEs, I find I can't watch the theatrical versions without thinking/feeling there's important stuff missing. The character and backstory details the EEs provide is essential, in my view, to a full understanding of Tolkien. Then again, those additional scenes also color my perception of the pacing, which I've complained is too slow. What can I say, I'm a walking contradiction.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder, what do people who have never read the Hobbit book and didn't know what it was about, but saw these movies, think of the Hobbit trilogy?

16. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Ghost
    I read the Hobbit quite a long time ago, as a child, and when I heard the movies were being made, I voluntarily didn't read the book again, so that I could see the films on their own merits. So I only had a vague remembrance of the sequence of events, and, for all intents and purposes, "didn't really know what it was about". I was, on the other hand, quite well-versed in Middle-Earth lore, so I was equipped to understand all the nuances (White Council, Necromancer, Dwarf/Elf relationship/conflict) that were to be presented.

All in all, I found the films to be quite well-balanced, actually, though there were some sequences that I found particularly jarring compared to the serious tone of LOTR (Dwarves in Rivendell, the Troll scene with its lowbrow humor, the Goblin song in the EE, some scenes with Alfrid), but I found that as the movies progressed, they gained in gravitas, as though Peter Jackson had finally figured his voice and how to make it heard amongst the executive meddling. Apart from the obvious qualities of the production design (costumes, props and sets), I found that the special effects were not too distracting (Thorin's throne room scene being one of the exceptions).

As far as storytelling goes, I thought that the writing team did a good job of linking the two trilogies together, and that the expanded scope of the script (incorporating the Dol Guldur subplot) really made for one epic adventure, even if it was at the price of less Hobbitty presence. I even appreciated the character of Tauriel, choosing to view her link with Kili as a manifestation of what the Greeks called agape (selfless love) rather than eros (physical love), and knowing my Middle-Earth history, her fiery personality didn't seem too out of place for an Elf, especially taking into account Galadriel's own backstory. I very much appreciated seeing the latter kick ass, showing that it was not for nothing that she wore one of the Rings of Power (and giving more poignancy to her renunciation in FOTR). Though I could have done without some of his stunts, it was nice to see a familiar face in Legolas, and his conflicts with Thranduil were quite realistic and understandable. The Elvenking was appropriately aloof and mysterious, giving the idea of still waters that ran deep, in a perfect counterpoint to Thorin's stolid stubbornness.

I also thought that the casting was spot-on, as it was for LOTR. It was a pleasure to see old faces (the White Council, Legolas) and to discover new ones. I had already seen Martin Freeman in Sherlock, so I knew he would be a good fit for Bilbo, but the true discovery for me was Richard Armitage as Thorin. Prior to The Hobbit, I wanted to know more of him, so I saw North and South, where his portrayal of dour John Thornton gave me a good idea of his capacities. But as Thorin, he utterly floored me. The way he used the slightest evolution of his gaze to showcase Thorin's descent into madness was magistral, and made his character all the more sympathetic, even as I wanted to shake him silly for being so obtuse. I almost never cry at the movies, yet I shed a few tears at his death, which shows how much I was touched by his journey to redemption. I also liked Dean O'Gorman's quiet strength and Aidan Turner's righteous indignation. I have since seen the latter in Poldark, another excellent role. Though Lee Pace didn't strike me as much, I thought his Thranduil quite well-rounded, and we could actually see the cracks slowly shattering his chilly façade.

To conclude, I can say it was a positive experience for me, and I find that, as with LOTR, I generally prefer the EE versions. They're a bit long-winded, but I don't mind that (being a fan of Golden Age Hollywood classics might have something to do with the matter). I eagerly await the BOFA EE, where I hope to see more of Thorin in the finale, to give me real closure.

BigAl6ft6, TX-20, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That sucker's like $15 so it's not even prohibitively expensive to just own both versions of all three films, which is cool for insane people like me who are version and special feature junkies.

From what I'm reading I'm looking at a difference of maybe ±10 minutes so I'll just go with whatever one I can more easily get my hands on (Which may well be the theatrical cuts if that turns out to be Red Box). Thanks folks!

BigAl6ft6 and EHT like this.
  18. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The EE of AUJ adds very little of value and a few sequences that are pretty awful (naked bathing dwarves, the Goblin song) which you might find entertaining if you have any ounce of masochism in you. DOS on the other hand expands Beorn's role a bit and makes Dol Guldor more interesting, if not more muddled, thanks to the reinstatement of a secondary character.

19. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    There is also a bit more to the Dwarven backstory that opens the film (AUJ) in the EE. The total extended footage is only 13 minutes, though, so it's not like it's a completely different movie.

TX-20 and Darkslayer like this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    So did you watch this yet?

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks. I need mind bleach now.

[face_sick]

22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Um, be glad you missed the film then?

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    2 months left till the EE of The Battle of the Five Armies

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh boy. Two months left until I can avoid to buy another horrible thing.

Random Comments likes this.
  25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007