main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Normal people are allowed to do it. Just celebrities aren't.

DarthBoba and Random Comments like this.
  2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Green Dragon opens in Hobbiton

I'm so totally visiting this place one day. [face_love]

Also, this made me slightly misty-eyed...

EDIT: And a new TV spot!

Remember how much older Ian Holm's Bilbo looked in the very first teaser trailer? Well, in here (0:07) he looks almost exactly like he did in LOTR. :D It seems they've applied the same "rejuvenating" digital "makeup" to him as they did to Christopher Lee (and possibly even Cate Blanchett?).

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's actually not the substance of the critique at all. People are complaining because they think Jackson is needlessly stretching out the length of the films, secure in the knowledge that people will pay for the additional tickets regardless of the quality of the added material (that is, whether it adds anything to the story or not). This isn't the equivalent of working hard to get more money. It's like a fast food restaurant that fills their drinks to the brim with ice so they can minimize the amount of beverage you actually get.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You know, I really don't think making more money is Jackson's motivation/reason for making the Hobbit films into a trilogy... For what it's worth, this is the last chance he gets to make a Middle-earth film - unless Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate decide to sell the film rights to Silmarillion (which I highly doubt).

Random Comments likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I actually agree. Jackson personally is not motivated by making even more money, but I'm sure Warner Brothers was when they greenlit the third film.

Rew and solojones like this.
  6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, there's no doubt that when Jackson made that suggestion, WB went "Yay! Moar moneyz!" :p But the first impulse for a third film came from Jackson and I believe him when he says it was a purely creative decision.

MrZAP and Random Comments like this.
  7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, AUJ clocks in at 2h40. Considering that ROTK was 3h30 long (I love that movie, but it was a bit of a trial to watch it in one go in the theatre), I think I'd much prefer having to sit through thrice 2h30 than twice 3h45 (or thereabouts), provided the narrative breaks between the movies come naturally.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This could work if Part 2 is 20 minutes long. It would be the greatest hoax in modern cinema.

But seriously how are they going to do this unless if Part 3 is using the stuff that was written in the appendices?

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I imagine the White Council/Necromancer stuff is going to take up a good chunk of the films.

MrZAP and Random Comments like this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But the Necromancer, and Smaug, are both defeated around the same time, in order for Gandalf to arrive in time for the negotiations before the Battle, when Bilbo has the Arkenstone. And with the title of the second movie, it seems that that leaves the entire third movie to only be about the Battle of the Five Armies.

And really, do people read the Appendices? There's hardly any stuff in there that would even fit into the Hobbit story.

DarthBoba and Random Comments like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe part 3 is filmed entirely in slow motion.

yankee8255 and Random Comments like this.
  12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    They can do this thing called adaptation where they rearrange the order things happen in. Hear it worked out for these films called Lord of the Rings...

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hobbit Episode 3 is a flash-forward clip show using scenes from LOTR.

Edit: Semi-ninja'd.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Pffft, Sindarin... [face_talk_hand] I expect the next weather report in Quenya. :p

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why not the Mordor language? What's that called again? I'm running on 5 hours of sleep.

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Great article about Fran Walsh in the NYT.

I'm in training now for a very tough couple of days. Midnight showing of Hobbit on the 13th, then Book of Mormon on the 14th, then on the 15th I'll be looking for an IMAX Hobbit with the kids. The biggest risk posed by Peter Jackson movies is deep vein thrombosis. I advise a few weeks of practicing basic leg circulation exercises.

19. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It's called Black Speech in the Common Tongue of Middle-Earth (i.e. Westron), and we have no idea what it's called in-language.
    As an additionnal note, the Dwarven language is called Khuzdul by the Dwarves.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The Black Speech. But there are only a handful of words known from it - most of them from the inscription on the One Ring.

Quenya is by far the most developed of Tolkien's languages, both in grammar and in vocabulary. Sindarin is second, with a considerably smaller vocabulary, and from other languages (Khuzdul, Adûnaic, Black Speech/Orkish, Valarin) there are only fragments.

Ardalambion is a great website about Tolkien's languages. :)

MrZAP likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh really? Thought there was some complicated sounding name for it. Thanks.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    More Hobbit News

from Reuters:

If Hobbit pulls in $475 million in the U.S. and has a foreign/U.S. box office split similar to Return of the King, it will make about $1.41 billion worldwide, second only to Avengers for the year. Here's to the four quadrants of middle earth: Tolkien nerds like Mars17swgirl and laurethiel138, old folks like me who grew up with the Hobbit, Jacksonite LOTR fans, and children.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That would be amazing because 2012 would then be the first year in film history to have 4 movies gross over 400 million domestically.
    The Avengers
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Hunger Games
    ?The Hobbit?
    Not necessarily in any particular order.

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It's Mar, dammit, not Mars... :p

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007