main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit: "An Unexpected Journey" & "There and Back Again"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLover1991, Dec 18, 2007.

1. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/12/18/28150-peter-jackson-and-new-line-cinema-join-with-mgm-to-produce-%e2%80%9cthe-hobbit%e2%80%9d/

Follow the link to read about the new agreement between the three parties.

This has made my day.

2. Equal_Protection

Equal_Protection Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2004
    I just get this feeling that the fantasy adventure genre is waning now that LotR is over four years old. I hope the Hobbit is a great a movie as the story is beloved but I am nervous.

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    This is great news! I'm sure I'll be there opening day/night.

*Begins waiting for the inevitable The Hobbit: Extended Edition DVD*

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Interesting. Of course, they still need a director...

5. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    A copy from my post in the thread at The Amphitheatre

6. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
  7. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    I thought it was a joke when I first came across this afternoon. But then realised it was way too late in the year for April Fools jokes.

Hopefully they will bring PJ in as director too. Who do you guys think would be good as a replacement? (if one is needed that is)

8. Equal_Protection

Equal_Protection Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2004
    Paul Greengrass ftw

9. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Best news all day!!! I am so thrilled to hear that PJ is on board. [face_dancing]

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There was a sequel to The Hobbit? Or they just splitting the book in two?

11. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    There is no sequel to the Hobbit...unless you count LOTR as the sequel.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah- found some clarity on AICN-

One will be an adaptaion of J.R.R. Tolkien's THE HOBBIT. The second project is believed to be a bridge between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy - culled from the titanic amount of periphery/ancillary/notated material found in Tolkien's works. Such material can already be seen in the existing films.

13. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I can't imagine (my failure, I suppose) how they propose to fill a two-hour film with the eighty years of nothing Bilbo does between the end of the Hobbit and the beginning of the LOTR. As an educated Tolkien fan, I just don't understand their angle here.

EDIT:
    From The Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad:

During the seventy-seven years between Bilbo's finding the Ring and Frodo's quest to destroy it, Sauron reestablished his power in Mordor; Balin attempted to recolonize Moria; Saruman turned wholly to evil; Aragorn undertook great journeys; Bilbo moved to Rivendell; and Gollum went in search of Thief Baggins.

The author goes on to detail the escapades of Gollum in Mirkwood and Mordor, captured by Aragorn for a brief time before being rescued by Orcs who brought him to Moria. The Battle for Osgiliath also takes place during this time, and the Nazgul left Minas Morgul for the Shire -- but these latter events were actually shown in the LOTR films.

I still fail to see a coherent film here.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not being familiar with the written works, I get the impression the second film would be about the other characters.

15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I would guess it would have to focus on 3 things:

1) The Wizards attack the dark mage of Dol Guldur (Sauron) and the subsequent result.

2) The defeat of Angmar.

3) The war between Gondor and the Corsairs/lesser men of Harad...including the story of Aragorn's first visit to Minas Tirith...and hopefully, he doesn't go into the city before being crowned, like he did in ROTK.

I find this idea to be just that...an idea...I think actually sowing it into a film would be jarring...as it's events span decades, and either they link it all up tight, which will be far afield from Tolkien's original tale...or they stay true and make a confusing snore fest for anything but the most die hard of Tolkienites.

16. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I can't see it all making it - Angmar was destroyed 1000 years prior to the Hobbit, so that definately won't be in it. The White Council is a definate - it's what Gandalf is doing when he's away in the Hobbit. I actually don't see them going too far past the end of the Hobbit, as there's nothing really to climax a film on after the BoFA, which would leave an awfully long time of waffle. Personally, I'd like the last scene (Before or After the credits) to be of Gollum emerging from his cave for the first time in 500 years when he leaves searching for the ring.

17. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    TORN speculate on what it could mean to do two films of The Hobbit. Interesting, most interesting.

Also, a word on why PJ won't direct the films. Also from TORN

And another interesting article reveal this.

Just rumours, but neverthwless It's still interesting rumours.

Sam Raimi has been mentioned as a possible director and maybe he's a good choice. They both comes from a similar bakground when it comes to filmmaking. And they both are somewhat of what you could perhaps call "genre filmmakers". Maybe It's time for Raimi to step of the train to the future Spider-Man projects and try something new. I really don't know who's the best choice as a director for The Hobbit and It's sequel.

I hope that Fran Walsh, PJ och Philippa Boyens returns as scriptwriters and that they use the same people that was behind the special effects in the LOTR trilogy.

18. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    The New York Times has some more interesting news on the project.

Good and a step in the right direction. [face_dancing]

19. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Glad to hear that PJ will be so actively involved, even if he isn't directing. As we all know, George Lucas was executive producer of ESB and ROTJ (though his involvement was far more extensive on ROTJ), which goes to show how much creative influence an EP has on a film.

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It's silver lining talk for a tragedy...that Jackson would rather direct junk he's signed on for, then to escape them and come back and do Hobbit. It's obvious he isn't invested to this project the way he was LOTR...so what does it matter if he has control? He'll rubber stamp all but the most bizarre breaks to him, and that'll be that...this is as much a statement to keep fans from committing suicide as it is a truly good indication of things to come.

You know how they sell me? they make a second stage director from LOTR the director of Hobbit. And then PJ gets out of those other projects and actually shows up to shooting for Hobbit.

Sorry...saying somebody has creative control who just doesn't care...that's an empty statement.

21. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm excited to hear that production is back on schedule but I'm disappointed that Jackson won't direct. If his schedule is too busy to allow him to direct, how will he have the time to make all creative decisions? Things like that have me worried about the film(s).

22. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Jedimarine, your reasoning as to why Jackson would sign on to direct "junk", only to later toss it aside at the prospect of taking on yet another project, is a complete mystery to me. You might rather consider that there is some validity -- creative or professional -- to the Lovely Bones and Tin Tin projects PJ has been sweating over for the last two years. You might consider that to complete his contractual obligations before going on to commit to another project is the mark of personal and professional integrity. Your dismissal of the Hobbit project as somehow doomed, simply because the film will be directed by someone other than Jackson, is based in a lack of understanding of the filmmaking process.

23. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This seriously makes my day!! I LOVE The Hobbit, and I'm so incredibly glad that PJ will have a say in it. I'm a little iffy about the proposed sequel to The Hobbit, but I Have faith they will come up with a good story line.

24. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    As to the sequel, Gandalf and the White Council's expulsion of the Necromancer from Dol Guldur, and later, Gollum's adventures in seeking Thief Baggins, make the most sense in terms of subject matter. I think they'll do a fine job with it, whoever the director turns out to be (though I must admit I'm partial to Raimi).

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't think the adventures of the Necromancer are film-worthy material, but if they've got a solid script, let's hope they do it well.