main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit: "An Unexpected Journey" & "There and Back Again"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLover1991, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Fascinating. I wonder why del Toro won out over Raimi in the end? Raimi certainly has a far superior record in terms of ticket sales, and more experience in that he's been making films since 1982. I personally would prefer Raimi, but as I've said I'm a fan of del Toro's and I have faith that he'll be able to pull this thing off.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think Del Toro's style fits, which is encouraging.

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think if he approaches this with the knowledge that there is expectation and franchise considerations...then yes, he'll do well.

What I don't want to hear about is him stonewalling people as he embarks on a "bold vision" that tangents from the Hobbit.

My hope is that he and Peter have a long sit down and iron out a mutual concept, and that much of the LOTR production team is brought on...this will help maintain cohesion in terms of costume, makeup, location shooting...etc.

All I ask is for a bit of humility in the director's chair...that is all.

4. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    By all accounts del Toro is a congenial, easy-to-work-with kind of guy. With the degree of creative control Jackson is being given here, I expect the working relationship to be very much a Lucas-Marquand type of scenario (ie employer-employee) -- though I doubt Jackson would actually shoot second-unit footage as Lucas did for ROTJ.

5. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I dunno about Del Toro directing. I loved Hellboy and thought Blade 2 and Pan's Labyrinth was good too, but like others I feel that the Hobbit has a light-hearted Romp feel to it that judging from his previous work goes against the grain for Del Toro?

Then again if we judged directors by their previous work Zack Snyder wouldn't have made 300 the awesome movie it was, and Sam Raimi wouldn't have made the great Spider-man 1. Both made horror pictures before their better known work. Also PJ would never had the chance at the LOTR trilogy either...So I'll give Del Toro a chance to channel his inner 12 year old for this.

6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    And if he had never made that junker, he wouldn't have gotten to make Spiderman 2, which is one of the 3 best Superhero movies ever made.:D

Of course, then he jumps the Shark with Spiderman 3...one of the 3 worst Superhero movies...maybe for all eternity.

7. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I would remind that Hellboy has some light comical moments... and also that Sam Raimi made Darkman -- one of the best superhero movies ever -- over ten years before Spider-Man. But I digress.

8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    wow...all your opinions have just been rendered suspect to me...

o_O:eek::p

9. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Jedimarine, at least we agree about Spidey 2 being one of the best, and Spidey 3 one of the worst! Darkman is very close to my heart, as silly as it is, and as Raimi films go it's definitely one of his best, most stylish, brilliantly shot-and-edited films. Some people don't like it, and that's fine, but if you compare it to the much beloved Army of Darkness -- in terms of the writing, characterizations, action scenes, music and performances -- I think you'll find Darkman a superior film.

I still think Raimi would have made a better choice as the Hobbit director, given his outstanding box office returns and the fact that he has 10 years experience on del Toro... but del Toro is a close second in my book, so I'm willing to wait and see what he produces.

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Personally, I'd rather of had an unknown or maybe someone from the team of LOTR take the reigns...the Hobbit doesn't need a big name to carry it...look what LOTR did for Peter Jackson! Moreover, if he's invested as an Executive Producer as much as everyone assumes he will be...then having a big name makes even less sense.

Oh, and as amused as I am by Army of Darkness...it's because it's so awful...and because of Bruce Campbell...Darkman took itself seriously...so I certainly hope it was a better quality film.

11. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    wow...he's a jerk, ain't he?

13. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    :confused: What makes you say that? I gather from friends who know him that the man is genuine, funny and sincere.

14. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I guess I just read it with a tone...it didn't sound funny as much as it did snide...he was taking a jab at the largest internet fan base in existence...I hope he was making light.

15. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    The largest, and not to mention the most catty and spiteful when provoked.

And when you bring purists into it, they can have you running for behind the sofa when they get going.

16. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    :rolleyes:

Is there any conceivable thing the guy could've said that would not have pissed off part of the fanbase?

Incidentally I very much prefer del Toro to Raimi. The Spiderman movies just didn't quite do it for me. They seemed to be divided just a tic too cleanly between Serious Emotional Character Scenes and OMG Special Effects!!! scenes.

At least in my head, anyway... :p

17. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001

Jedimarine posted

[blockquote]And if he had never made that junker, he wouldn't have gotten to make Spiderman 2, which is one of the 3 best Superhero movies ever made.[/blockquote]

[hr]

I agree that 2 was better even that it was in the top 3 of all superhero movies ever, but I was only counting the first spidey film since 2 was made by the success of 1, and that was specifically judging Raimi by his previous film which was counter to my point there. Otherwise I would've mentioned that 2 was a few notches better than 1.

And Spidey 1 was only a junker in comparison to spidey 2, and spidey 3 only stunk in comparison to spidey 1 and 2.

[hr]
    Raisedbywolves posted

[blockquote]Is there any conceivable thing the guy could've said that would not have pissed off part of the fanbase? [/blockquote]

[hr]

[face_thinking] I'm trying to think of something he might say that wouldn't piss atleast one of us fans off...nothing's coming to mind.

18. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Bad new for the Hobbit. [face_worried] I just read in the lastest Entertainment Weekly that Tolkien's estate is now suing New Line because they didn't get their proper due. And they want the film not to be made. :_|

19. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    The Tolkien estate is using the rights to the Hobbit as leverage to obtain the $150 million New Line owes them. Of course, if and when New Line decides to settle (and I don't see they could refuse to pay eventually), the Tolkien estate should be willing to let New Line keep the rights -- especially considering how much more money they (the Tolkiens) stand to earn from two more films.

20. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Rumor also has it though that New Line may have been in some fiscal trouble before this even came up... Trouble's brewing.

21. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Whatever is happening, I'm getting concerned. [face_worried]

22. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I for one am not worried. If New Line goes bust, Warners will likely scoop up the studio and everything it owns. The Hobbit films are too big a potential money-maker for them to let the rights slip away. New Line is surely just bargaining for time and maybe a reduced payout. The Tolkiens will get their money in the end, and the production will proceed.

23. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
  24. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    That's definitely great news. I can't see the role being played by anyone but McKellen.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. A recasting of Gandalf would probably be grounds for crucifixion. :p