main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit: "An Unexpected Journey" & "There and Back Again"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLover1991, Dec 18, 2007.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  2. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
  3. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Del Toro is official!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080425/ap_en_mo/film_hobbit_del_toro

4. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    theonering.net interviews del Toro this morning:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04/25/28747-guillermo-del-toro-chats-with-torn-about-the-hobbit-films/#more-28747

It appears that Serkis and McKellan are onboard, the production team is going to "reforest" the Shire area of New Zealand, that Jackson's films are to be considered canonical for these new films, and that Tolkien's book will be told entirely in the first movie, with the mysterious events of the intervening 50 years (between Hobbit and Fellowship) forming thr basis of the second Hobbit movie.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  6. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    This is going to be so friggin' awesome. Thanks for the link!

7. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Hopefully Hugo Weaving will be on board with The Hobbit as well.

8. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
  9. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm really excited about this, though the sequal movie makes me a little nervous since I don't think there's a lot of stuff by Tolkien discussing that era.

Though if these continue to do well in theaters, (I have no doubt they will, it's Middle Earth after all) I wouldn't be surprised at all for people to tackle stories from the Silmarillion or Tolkien's other works.

10. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Yeah, we're talking about the lack of a real story over in the JCC Amphitheatre. Basically the last chapter of The Silmarillion fleshes out the timeline a little, but apart from the White Council's assault on Dol Guldur (to drive Sauron out and prevent his searching for the Ring in the Gladden Fields), there isn't much story in terms of conflict, mystery, suspense, drama, climax, or resolution! The filmmakers will have to pad the tale out very inventively if they want a film to rival the heights of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

11. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    MTV Movie Blog - Guillermo Del Toro Wants Original LOTR Cast Back for The Hobbit

TORN - Confirmation - Ian McKellen will Reprise Role as Gandalf

Great news. There's hope for these films after all. :)

12. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Question #1:

Will I be taking my young children to see this movie or my young grandchildren to see this movie?

14. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

15. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I notice the article doesn't mention P. Boyens as a script collaborator. This is a good thing, as she was responsible for alot of the dumbing down of LOTR, as well as long-winded speeches and extra scenes that did not come from Tolkien but from her own perception of what an audience would want or need to see. Leave her out of this one. [face_praying]

16. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    Don't forget about the live chat and the possibility to submit a question in advance.

You may also be interested in this. :)

17. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  18. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Read it a little bit ago. Doesn't sound like anything new is there. They mainly said that everybody who can come back will, that they're trying to stay true the look and feel of the LOTR trilogy and that it's too early to really tell us anything us about the movie in any depth.

19. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    The Unexpected Part chat, linked above, is actually extremely informative. Here's a tidbit about the production and release schedule:

PJ - [A]t this point in time the plan is to write for the rest of this year and start early conceptual designs. 2009 will be dedicated to pre-production on both movies and 2010 will be the year we shoot both films back to back. Post productin follows one film at a time with The Hobbit being released Dec 2011, and F2 release Dec 2012. That is the schedule in about as much detail as we have ourselves at the moment.

And a bit about the effects:

GDT: I plan to mix CGI and PHYSICAL in such a way that your eye wonders which is which- keep you mind busy but NEVER allowing for the weaknesses of either tool to take over. Yes, I have, by trial and error, learned that both tools need to be mixed and how much they must be mixed to succeed in creating environments and living creatures. WETA is the lead house, absolutely but we will expand the creature team and beef up the prosthetics team. Imagine a physical creature with a radio controlled muscle / facial system but with partial CGI replacement on the head or mouth, etc and you?ll start to get the idea?

And on PJ's role and duties:

PJ - Truth is "Executive Producers" do a range of things on movies from a lot to virtually nothing! I see myself being one of a production team. My interest is helping Guillermo make the very best films he can. I love writing and I'm looking forward to that. Guillermo will be writing, along with Fran, Philippa and myself. As a director, I could never direct something I didn't have a hand in writing, and we're not expecting Guillermo to do that either. If the director is part of the writing, it means he was there when the discussions took place, story decisions were made ... he knows why things are the way they are, and what they need to achieve. Everything is in a script for a reason, and only by being part of a writing team (or writing it yourself), do you really understand the intention of every beat.

I see my role as being part of that writing team, which will create the blueprint, and then helping Guillermo construct the movie. I want Guillermo to make his movies, and I want to make sure we end up with a 5 movie series that's as good as it can possibly be.

And a discussion of Film 2 by both filmmakers:

GDT - The idea is to find a compelling way to join THE HOBBIT and FELLOWSHIP and enhance the 5 films both visually an in their Cosmology. There?s omissions and material enough in the available, licensed material to attempt this. The agreement is, however, that the second film must be relevant and emotionally strong enough to be brought to life but that we must try and contain the HOBBIT in a single film.

PJ - I'm really looking forward to developing Film Two. It gives us a freedom that we haven't really had on our Tolkien journey. Some of you may well say that's a good thing of course! The Hobbit is interesting in how Tolkien created a feeling of dangerous events unfolding, which preoccupy Gandalf. There's an awful lot of incident that happens during that 60 year gap. At this stage, we're not imagining a film that literally covers 60 years, like a bio-pic or documentary. We would figure out what happens during that 60 years, and choose one short section of time to drop in and dramatise for the screen. I'm really interested in how it effects The Hobbit - do we show what happens to Gandalg during his trips away? We'll see. We may well have seeds for Film Two that we'll subtly sow during The Hobbit.

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    [image=http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080528.jpg]

21. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    [face_laugh]

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've been hearing(reading) that James McAvoy is being considered for the role of Bilbo. I don't know if it's true or not though. I like him as an actor, so it would be interesting to see.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    First "Children of Dune" and now this?

This guy will become "the one"...he'll be "convention gold" for the next century![face_laugh]

I'm still all about Martin Freeman as Bilbo.

24. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Is that the guy from "The Last King of Scotland"?

25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I never saw that, but Freeman played Arthur Dent in 2005's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.