main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit: "An Unexpected Journey" & "There and Back Again"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLover1991, Dec 18, 2007.

1. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    raisedbywolves was referring to McAvoy, not Freeman.

Although I think McAvoy is a much better actor, Freeman looks more hobbity. I'd be happy with either, though for now I'd say I'm rooting for McAvoy. I'm gutted the rumours that he would be playing Scotty in Star Trek turned out to be false.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I didn't know that he was rumored to be Scotty. Freeman would be an interesting choice to be Bilbo, but i'd rather see McAvoy in the role.

3. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    Whoever is cast should look at least a little bit like a young Ian Holm. McAvoy is a great actor, though, I think he'd do well in the role.

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    GDT said in the online Chat that since everybody loves him so avidly, they're going to use Ian Holm where possible. I think this means they're going to use prosthetics and even digital tweaking to bring the facial features of whomever they cast as Bilbo into line with Holm's. But that's just my fanboy speculation.

5. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That's cool.

6. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm glad to hear that. I enjoyed Holm's limited performance in the three original films and I'm glad to hear that he'll be returning in some capacity.

7. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    If that's the case, it would be easier just to use Ian Holm himself and make him look younger.

I mean in LOTR they just used that terrible wig, but it was enough...imagine the wrinkles they could wipe away with CG today.

8. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Yeah, the de-aging they did on Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan for X3 was amazingly good. But could they sustain that for a whole film? Bilbo is in every scene!

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Depends on how deep their pocketbook is and how much of their budget they are willing to spend on that.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think they could. Jackson was able to sustain a relationship between Naomi Watts and a 50 foot CG gorilla in King Kong, and don't forget about Gollum in TTT and ROTK.

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    In which case it comes down to how much Ian Holm could "handle".

Even with a stunt double, a film like the hobbit is going to require him to do a little more then walk on stage, speak lines, and retreat to trailer.

climbing over rocks and in trees...swimming...battles...establishing shots of him in the moment will still be needed, which does take a lot for someone of advancing years.

Now granted, Bilbo isn't Indiana Jones...but that's kind of the situation here.

12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree, that's certainly a concern as well. In those cases they would probably need to utilize a stunt double which would make production more difficult.

13. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    I don't know, I think I'd rather see a new actor frankly.

They should save the CGI tricks for Smaug if you ask me :p

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Even though I think that Holm is great, a younger actor(like McAvoy) would be better suited to play Bilbo, imo.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Same here. They'd be better off with a younger actor.

16. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Except they may have to forget that line "You haven't aged a day" in Fellowship ;)

17. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Won't a lot of the walking shots be done in the same way that they were in LotR , where little were used in order to convey the smaller height of the hobbits compared to regular people?

18. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ Probably. If they use the same techniques, some of it will be little people next to standard-sized people, some of it will be standard-sized people in forced perspective and/or next to people in "big" suits, and some of it will be digital.

As to the line in FOTR about Bilbo not having aged a day, Gandalf means since they last saw each other, not since the end of The Hobbit all those years ago. They've seen each other in the interim. ;)

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    If they do recast Bilbo...who bets they re-edit the opening sequence of Fellowship to include the new bilbo finding the ring, rather then the red-wigged holm?

and the LOTR special editions are born!

20. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Legolas shot first?

21. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    And Aragorn meets with a CGI Sauron outside the Prancing Pony before taking the Hobbits with him on the journey.

23. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

24. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Well it's nice of Del Toro to say something like that.

I don't buy it for a second...

but it's nice to know he's "savvy" enough to attempt to diffuse the issue.

Though really, if he thinks the speculation on "style" hasn't already led to ulcers, he's deluded.

I'm still praying they dump this "sequel"...but if they don't...that's where Lee goes...if he lives that long.

seriously, with this tentative schedule...he may not make it to shooting dates.

I really truly hope that he named those "names" for Bilbo as a way to dismiss them...the name should be Martin Freeman...McAvoy is WELL on his way to being a huge hollywood star...doing Hobbit would probably be a hinderance to him, and his celebrity would overshadow the role.

So in essence, we'll get the same treatment that PJ gave us of LOTR...plenty of "updates" from the set...a well coordinated trickle of information.

25. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    What don't you "buy", exactly? :confused: