main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit: "An Unexpected Journey" & "There and Back Again"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLover1991, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    That Del Toro is going to be "checked" by the visual or production style of the LOTR in his process.

Now I do believe he will be "inspired" by them...and thus we will get some nods to how PJ carried on his films...but I do not believe him when he says juxtaposing his and PJ visions will be so smooth, that it'll take "retropect" to notice them.

He wasn't brought in on this project to be a PJ clone...they could've gotten that from elsewhere, and for far less.

Moreover, I would be shocked if he caved in his principles to suit "Peter's vision", and moreover, I'd be even more shocked if PJ asked him to.

I think if anyone wants to see "the same movie" on screen more then the fans, it's New Line...and we all know the love affair PJ has with them.

Finally, how can he possibly know what elements he can change and which ones should stay true to the LOTR depiction? These are not simple movies...the complexity and the divergent parts have fans all over the spectrum...

change the costumes...change the camera work...change the timing of scenes...change the amount of hair on a hobbit's feet...who knows...you change one, and it's a drastic alteration for somebody on this planet.

Now, I've said it before...I'm not dooming this film because it's not "peter Jackson directs the Hobbit"...Del Toro could do a fabulous job...I like his work...but for him to essentially say "I'll be compromising my dreams and vision for this project to keep people from jumping off buildings" is just talk...it's the right thing to say at this stage.

He comes back in 2011 and says before it hits theaters that he's worked painstakingly to keep in step with PJ, then I'll be more affected by this statement...shocked beyond belief more likely.

The mantra should be "give him a chance" not "nothing will change"...but then, people have no tolerance...especially rabid fanboys.

Oh how I wish GL had handed over the chair on AOTC and ROTS...but then, those poor suckers would probably be living in agony today.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    That is a far more negative analysis of the available data than I am willing to offer or agree with at this time. I trust del Toro will make the right decisions and that Pete will back him up or resist him as the moment calls for it. A 'yuxtaposition of styles' sounds like just what the doctor (professor of lingusitics, that is) ordered.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unlock n bump as MGM starts to iron out it's problems...

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think that it is safe to say since they are actually hiring people now we are good to go. Personally I am a bit bummed that they are doing 3D but I guess it will be busier at work /shrug

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Peter Jackson's 1st Hobbit video diary is up on his Facebook page.

Jackson also revealed on his FB a few days ago that the film will be shooting at 48FPS.

The latter follows a similar push by James Cameron to up the FPS being projected in theaters, which he hopes to have done for the Avatar sequels.

While I understand it's application for 3D films like Hobbit and Avatar (where it'll probably even out due to the 3D effect), I have to say I'm concerned stuff will end up looking too much like video when viewed in 2D and losing that look of film that makes it look so elegant.

6. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
  7. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    I hope that Enya does a song or two for this movie.

8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    wow...incredible.

Just 7 posts above this one is another post by me...from more then 3 years ago! :eek:

Talk about no talk.

Is it that there is no hype left in the Tolkien uni...or that people have too much else to discuss?

9. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I think it's more the crowd discussing it.

There is certainly a lot of activity in the YJCC Tolkien thread >HERE<

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Trailer!

Looks good- maybe a bit doofy with the rhyming Dwarf role call, but the rest is solid.

11. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It looks really good. Great intro and tease for what is to come. I think it's time to read the book again. :D

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, at least we can't blame Jackson for that one.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, well, most of the few major issues I have with the trilogy aren't Jackson's fault either, so I'm used to it. :)

14. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I was disappointed by the OBVIOUS CG altering for many of the Dwarves faces...it's blatant and jarring...it might as well be the motion-capture animation stuff!

Beyond that...it's LOTR...I just don't know if anyone cares anymore.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know if it's CGI- it could just be makeup. Though I do agree that how smooth some of their faces are is somewhat distracting.

16. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm pretty sure it's not CGI whatsoever. Just prosthetics and practical makeup.

17. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    How good can it be without Bob Anderson...

How good can any sword fighting movie ever be again...

I can only think of one movie in the last 80 years that had a good sword fight that wasn't choreographed by Bob Anderson, and that was a cheezy arena-of-death movie called Ring of Steel.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bob's loss is a great one. Though, was he even involved on The Hobbit? They obviously shot much of it before his passing.

19. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Don't know how much or in what capacity. He came out of retirement (again) because he couldn't resist.