main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Taeriel, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    Of the extended releases!

FanForced likes this.
  2. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    How are they going to make this 3 movies is what I want to know.

3. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I might possibly have a date for this movie, if that is the case I will have to ditch ya'll.....

catz44 likes this.
  4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    You can listen to the streaming soundtrack here, now with the ability to select tracks and pause.

5. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    There's a lot that can be covered in just The Hobbit. Beorn, Mirkwood, the Elven king, the Battle of Seven Armies... it'd be a lot cut out if it were limited to just one movie.

6. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Not having read any of the books and just having only watched the movies, I was just fine not knowing (or caring too much) about what was cut out. It sounds like fan service instead of public appealing to make this into a trilogy to cover what sounds like is a busy book.

I'm sure they cut out a lot from each book of the original 3 to make those movies...and they were still 2.5 hours each. I was fine with that, but then again I'm a SW and not Tolkien fan. If they can make one book per movie for the others, are you sure they couldn't do that for these?

7. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    I don't consider myself a Tolkein fan, as I liked the movies better than the books (I know, blasphemy :p). The only Tolkein book I really enjoyed was The Hobbit. There are two reasons to split it into three movies; the first, you mentioned, being fan service. And why not have some fan service? The LOTR fanbase is quite large, and the fans absolutely love it. The second reason is profit. Why have people pay for one full-length movie when they're willing to spend money on three? The marketing campaign would rake in a ton by itself. It's a smart business move.

8. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I have a feeling that we're going to get some Silmarilion (sp?) stories in these movies. Otherwise there's really not enough there to justify three films, unless extreme liberties are taken.

9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I've heard that it also includes material from the Appendices.

10. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Ah. That makes sense, if they take from the LOTR appendices and from the Silmarilion, then there's more than enough for three movies. And it will actually really flesh out the LOTR trilogy. (I've not made it all the way through the Silmarilion, but got enough backstory from a Tolkein fiend that it really did help.)

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I've actually made it all the way through the Silmarilion. Of course I don't remember most of it now, but I did read it. It's a bit ironic, given that I haven't actually read Hobbit or any of the LotR fully front to back.

12. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    That's because you're all super-smart and stuff. ;)

13. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    The appendices are going to be in the movie? Riiight... Will the footnotes, illustration captions, back cover blurb and table of contents be in the super-special edition? ;)

14. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Says the guy who's never read any of them. :p

15. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    Yes :p

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Er, actually, it's because I'm one of those heathens who hadn't read the books before seeing the movies. [face_blush]

17. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    I thought the Silmarilion kinda read like Genesis. Who begat who? Was a little too begatting for me. Hobbit has enough material, but you know Jackson will add some scenes just for the FX (Legolas riding down the stairs on a snowboard in one of the LOTR comes to mind). And I got my UA Colorado tic for the marathon. Would you believe I've never seen any of the LOTR on the big screen? :D

18. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    oooo, enjoy!

19. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Wow. That's almost as scary as the friend who said she honestly hadn't seen SW before the re-releases came out in the late 90s.

20. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Can't afford movies these days. I usually wait til they're out on the $5 Walmart DVD table ($7 for bluray). Or when I can see one for free. I miss the ol' dollar movies. Anyway, $30 for three movies was a bargain these days. Unfortunately, my knee cramped up half-way throught the first one. They gave us 20 minute breaks between each one, not much time to eat (had a very tasteless sickly pizza at the concession stand). The extended versions didn't seem that extended, the first one had about half an hour added and I couldn't see anything significant that was added to the other two (a couple minutes of worthless stuff here and there). We were outa there by 11:30pm, and hour earlier than what the theater manager told us originally. It was awesome to see it on the big screen, but I felt like I could have just watched my DVD's at home at saved $30. Now, just to find someone to hook up my home theater speaker system for me so I can get the same heart-pounding way-too-loud sound effect (why do theaters think we are all deaf????). I just don't go to the movies anymore....

21. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    Super-hearing is my super power so I used to wear ear plugs to action movies, just enough in to cut the sound a bit. I got out of the habit, though. It is weird to hear your own popcorn crunching sounds echoing in your head.

22. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Aurgh, so frustrated with our local movie theater. There's a theater out here that has been our favorite for premieres since forever. I mean, my parents took me to this one to see ANH when it came out! We camped out there a couple days for each of the Prequels, and either all day or all-day+overnight for the LotR movies. But they are now SO BAD about getting their schedule set and tickets available! They STILL do not have tickets up for Hobbit. Current schedule on fandango goes only through Thurs night. A couple of weeks ago I talked to one of their managers about it, and he claimed that attendance had gone done the past several years ever since digital multiplexes. That might be somewhat true, but I can't help but think of all my friends who bought their tickets when the main batch came out. No one wanted to wait. Some of those tickets might have gone to this theater, given that it used to be so popular for premieres, but they lost out on a lot of opportunity there. Heck, we still don't have confirmation that they will have the movie. So of course people go and see it somewhere else.

23. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I got tickets for the Cine Capri at Northfield for opening night. Non 3D, on the Cine Capri screen itself. Should be fun. :)

24. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    went last night...i won't give anything away. I will just say it didn't feel like three hours. i plan on seeing it again. :)

25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Interested in the group viewing on the 22nd?