main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit - Hopes and Speculation

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Kyptastic, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We all know the great success the Lord of the Rings trilogy had. However, will the story that started it all be made into a film?

Would you want Peter Jackson to direct, or would you like a change?

Would you want the movie to stay close to the book, or do you think that changes need to be made?

A legolas Cameo?

thoughts.

2. Kahnate

Kahnate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    A Legolas cameo? No. Hell no. I don't want the movie (if there ever is one) to be turned into some horrible reference to the LOTR movies. Cause they wouldn't just stop with Legolas and he doens't need to be there to begin with anyway.

I would want it to stay close to the book. I despise the LOTR movies. I really do. The changes that were made do not make them good, and the directing was bad. Bad, I say. Bad. No Peter Jackson. Peter Jackson mui zien.

Kahnate

3. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I think I heard somewhere that Jackson wants to direct a Hobbit sequel and I'd defintely enjoy getting to see one.

And also, a Legolas cameo wouldn't be utterly intrusive since they do end up in Mirkwood.

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    From what I've heard, Jackson says he wouldn't want anyone else doing a potential Hobbit movie. So far as a Legolas Cameo, it could work while Bilbo and the Dwarves are held captive in Mirkwood. By the time they get around to making this film it won't be as if Orlando Bloom will have anything better to do. ;)

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I want to see Smaug on the big screen. Reign of Fire was not a great film, but the dragon effects were decent. Dragonslayer is the best dragon ever in films.

[image=http://www.timeslipcreations.com/images/Vermithrax_01.jpg]

[image=http://www.timeslipcreations.com/images/Vermithrax_II_01.jpg]

I know LOTR and the Hobbit is more than just a dragon saga, but it's just my two cents.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I thought it was almost but not quite official that Jackson was going to make it.

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I really hope that Jackson makes it. As for a Legolas cameo -- meh. Cool and not cool at the same time for me. I really could care less. But I'd want Ian McKellan back for Gandalf. Who would play Bilbo, as I think Ian Holm would be a little too old to play a fifty-year-old hobbit now. After all -- Frodo's supposed to be fifty in LOTR.

8. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I haven't read the book yet...but if it is going to be made then I would want PJ to make the film...as far as the Legolas Cameo I think if it is done right then it might work...

9. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I was discussing this on another thread and the general consensus seemed to be Legolas would be okay if he was present with his father, maybe asked one question and that was it.

Plus it could add to why Legolas and Gimli don't particularly like each other in FOTR (yes I know Gimli wasn't there, but his father was)

10. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Legolas and Gimli don't like each other because elves and dwarfs don't like each other.

I think a Hobbit movie would be fantastic but I wouldn't want anybody besides Jackson to do it. He did a great job with LOTR and I'm sure he can do the same with Hobbit. I don't know why there'd be a Legolas cameo and it definetely isn't necessary, but if they did do that for some reason I wouldn't care.

11. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    Id love to see a Hobbit movie, and i would definately want Peter Jackson Directing.
    I wonder if it will be made with a younger audience in mind?? After all its a treasure hunt.

So long as they use the same animated Gollum, Gandalf and Elrond from the LOTR movies,
    to keep the continuity...thats what id be most interested in...
    I wouldnt mind a different actor as Bilbo, infact, id expect it (just because of the age of the character)

As far as Legolas goes...Hmmm, not really sure. Totally not necessary, but if it was a 5 second thing, i wouldnt mind.

I would also like to see them say Gloin is gimlis dad, and make Balin out to be great (giving the tomb scene in moria more depth)

i wonder who they would get for the voice of Smaug

12. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

james earl jones would be :cool:

[face_praying]

13. Vyka

Vyka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    I could imagine Michael Dorn being the voice, or would that be too I Am Weasel?

14. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    No, he'd be perfect. Although ... you do have to consider the Trekkie factor with him.

Legolas cameo ... hmmm ... I could take it or leave it. But Andy Serkiss must do the voice for Gollum. Who did the young Bilbo from the FOTR opening prologue?

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't think anyone else played Bilbo except Ian Holm.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It was Iam Holm in the FOTR prologue. IIRC they stretched his skin to remove his wrinkles to make him look younger. Plus they gave him brown hair.

17. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I think Peter Jackson could make a good movie out of it.

18. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Its gotta be Iam Holm as Bilbo, Ian Mckellen as Gandalf and Hugo Weaving as Elrond or I won't go see it. They CG him or make up them to look younger..no problem.

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    No.

Leave these movies as they are - um, I mean, don't spoil them by making a sub-par prequel.

20. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I agree that Ian Mckellen, Hugo Weaving and Andy Serkis would have to come back, but Bilbo could be recast. Ian Holm's probably too old to do the role now, considering it's more physical in the Hobbit than in LotR.

21. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    I would love to see The Hobbit made into a feature length movie. No one else but Peter Jackson should direct it. He has a true feel for all these books. It would be nice to see some of the other places of Middle Earth. The lonely Mountain, Mirkwood and everything else.

I don't believe you can call The Hobbit a prequel to the LOTR. It stands alone.

Jag29

22. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    I wrote an article (was originaly intended to be a thread like this but grew from there) in the CouncilOfElrond forums you can view it even if you are not a member:
    http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=25610

I miss LOTR, I still love it but I feel that I have explored every thing that it has to offer. I have been obsessed with it for more than half of my life! I find it a shame that LOTR does not live on from the films like Star Wars does, having books, merchandise & other series made from it. But it does make things simpler with out having to worry about such things as EU & such. To have a film made of The Hobbit in the same style by the same people who made LOTR would make me interested in it again.
    I would also really love some tie-ins to the trilogy, some of the original cast making cameos would be great. I think it would easily be possible for Legolas to appear seeing as though he was Thranduil's son, he could be the one to have captured the dwarves. I think that The Hobbit was a pretty straight forward story with no sub plots at all, for it to be made into a film on the same scale as the rest of PJ's films some things will have to be added but hopefully not changed.
    I have mentioned most of this before f you read the link above.

23. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Having recently read the book, I have come to the conclusion that adapting it as a film would be a Herculean cast, even for Peter Jackson.

First of all, the main cast would consist of Bilbo, a mostly offscreen Gandalf and thirteen dwarves. How can you make each one of those dwarves unique and interesting when even Tolkien couldn't do it?

Second, Bilbo and the dwarves go on many adventures throughout the book. Obviously, Smaug, Gollum and the Battle of Five Armies have to make it. But what else can be kept without making the film longer than ROTK?

Third, there's the issue of Ian Holm. Should he be recast or can he still play the role at his age without straining believability?

Still, if PJ finds a way to deal with all these issues (and I wouldn't even want to consider anyone else at the helm), then I'm all for it.

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm definately looking forward for this. I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and as long as Peter Jackson doesen't screw this one up like he did Kong, it's going to be great.

No blasphemous cameos, please.

25. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    It isn't going to happen for a very long while.

I did not know that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.