The Hobbit - Hopes and Speculation

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Kyptastic, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    If PJ did do it I really wouldn't be interested unless Ian Mckellen, Hugo Weaving and Andy Serkis were on the project. Like someone else said I don't see how they could deal with the dwarves without making the naumber smaller. Although the way that Time Bandits was done wasnt terribly horrible....
  2. arwen_sith Force Ghost

star 4
    Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving and Andy Serkis should definitely be involved. It's been ages since I've read the book though, so my recollections are a bit vague. I heard rumors when the Hobbit project first came to light that Elijah Wood might play Bilbo. I don't think that's such a hot idea, as he's so firmly associated with Frodo.

In the book Frodo was indeed 50 when he started on his quest, but in the movies he was only 33 or at the most 35. He turned 33 the same day Bilbo turned 111. In the book, Gandalf spent about 17 years in the Minas Tirith archives and elsewhere researching the Ring, whereas it seemed a matter of months or a few years at most between "Keep it secret. Keep it safe." and "Is it secret? Is it safe?" in the movie.
  3. Fenrisulven Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd cry if Elijah Wood played Bilbo. But as you said: probably not going to happen.

If they make the movie it will be one heck of a challenge for them and there will probably be much changes. There's so many things that's good in the book that might not fit in a movie. Like maybe the riddle-game, all the 13 dwarves etc. Still, it would be a cool movie...

As for voice for Smaug; I always imagined him to have a rather non-bass, sly voice. But JEJ would be cool. Or maybe the guy doing the voice for Saurons' mouth in the extended ROTK. Heh, or the guy doing general Grievous voice. That would be interesting :p
  4. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    As long as Jackson makes it on the same level as LOTR in tone and such, it should be good. I want it to darker than LWW but lighter than FOTR.

And keeping the regular cast is essential. If you can't get Holm, get someone who is practically identical and still put a subtle spin on the role. I don't want to see Legolas, Aragorn, Arwen, Galadriel cameos. We may have something of Sauron, but he'd be the Necromancer in this one.

5. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Personally, I think that Peter Jackson's the only one who can do his, but don't turn it into a 5 hour long movie. Make sure it's accurate, and that it stays true to the book. And get Ian McKellen and Bilbo back. No replacements.
  6. marc_craigwb Jedi Youngling

star 1
    peter jacson made the impossible possible by bringing lotr to the big screen,in fact he did more than that,he made it oscar material-won like,50?ok,exagerating!the hobbit would be a weekend project compared to lotr,the foundations are laid and hell yeah,why not have a legolas cameo?its not needed but it would make sense.noone could create a movie version of the hobbit,noone but pj,hell hes done the hard part!bring it on asap!
  7. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Last I heard, there were problems with the rights. Jackson said he would definately think about it if that was cleared up.

QFE. Same actors for Elrond, Gandalf, and Gollum - if possible. A short Legolas cameo, (or Arwen?) would be a nod to the fans, but not necessary.

A big "cameo" we would have to see would be the sets - The Shire, Bag End, the Misty Mountains.
  8. CaptainBinaca Force Ghost

star 3

How about Harlem's own Keith David? I thought his voice work on the Animated Spawn series was spot on
  9. DarthPhelps Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just came across this at ign.com - a fairly recent article: MGM Eyes Hobbit, T4

So if MGM is wooing Jackson, and is working with New Line on the film, does that mean Jackson has finally settled his lawsuit against New Line over profits from the LOTR trilogy? And how did such a settlement escape the notice of the media? IGN attempted to investigate these matters a few weeks ago but was met with stony silence from various parties.

Jackson did an interview today with Aint-it-Cool.com, which reports that "(Jackson's) never once talked to any studio, be it New Line or MGM, about doing The Hobbit. So, as of today Jackson has not talked to anybody about doing the movie, but he did say he'd like to do it, even though his schedule gets more crowded every passing week."

Exciting news if true, but is sounds like Jackson hasn't spoken with anyone yet.
  10. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    He's got an awesome voice.
  11. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    JEJ could do a great job voicing Smaug I'm sure. I've also read Connery as a suggestion, Ron Perlman was another. I'd offer up the guy that plays Clytus in the 1980 Flash Gordon, and Max von Sydow as well. It needs a 'booming' component, much like Jabba's voice.
  12. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Frankly, I can't imagine anyone but Richard Boone (who voiced him in the '77 cartoon) as the voice of Smaug. It's too bad he's been dead for 25 years. :(
  13. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Frodo was 33 when he got the Ring. Once a Hobbit possesses the Ring, he ceases to age. Thus, Frodo was 50 but looked 33. In the same way, Bilbo looked exactly the same at 111 as he did at 50. Ergo, his FOTR appearance should be perfect.

And Sean Connery should play Thorin Oakenshield.
  14. Darth_Berserker Jedi Master

star 3
    i think Clancy Brown ( the Kurgen ) should be the voice of smaug, that would be awesome!
  15. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    that would indeed be great
  16. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    yep, it would be awesome.
  17. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm well aware of the age-defying properties supposedly imparted by the One Ring. However, can you honestly say that Holm looked fifty, even made up to look younger? And remember, hobbits live longer than humans and take longer to come to maturity. A hobbit only comes of age at 33. A fifty year old hobbit should not even look as old as a 50 year old human. And Holm *did* look older in the Bag End and Rivendell scenes than the prologue scene with Gollum. As much as we as fans want the movies to be a faithful adaptation of the books, they aren't always, and in this aspect, the films dropped the ball.
  18. NeoBaggins Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I pray that there's no HOBBIT movie made. Leave perfection alone.
  19. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
    I just read an interview with PJ that had some interesting notes. It's from AICN.com so be very careful. Not sure if this should be taken as fact or not. (Also, there is a peice of it above)

My opinion, if they make a Hobbit movie, it needs to be PJ. If not, Leave it alone and let us enjoy the 70's cartoon. There is some good stuff in the interview, this is most of the Hobbit goods.

Interview

Where the guy who runs MGM was announcing their tentpoles and saying they were doing TERMINATOR 4 and they want me to make 2 HOBBIT films?

Everybody asks me about THE HOBBIT, you know? But the reality is I've never had a conversation with anybody about it.

The reality is, to be quite honest with you, we're getting ourselves now nice and busy, in a good way, for the next 4 years. So, people have not (spoken to us) about THE HOBBIT and it's making it more and more impossible for us to be involved.

Obviously, I'm interested in THE HOBBIT, but right now we have no emotional investment in it. For the last few years, we have put our hearts into other projects. It would seem strange to have somebody else do it, although some part of me would be interested in going to see somebody else's HOBBIT, be able to buy my popcorn and go and sit and watch the film.

I would love to! If I was doing THE HOBBIT I'd try to get as many of the guys back as I could

I wouldn't want to do it unless we could keep a continuity of cast. I have zero interest in directing a Gandalf who wasn't Ian McKellen for instance.

One of the problems with The Hobbit is that it is a fairly simple kids story, and doesn't really feel like The Lord of the Rings. Tonally I mean. It's always may be a little worried, but with two films that kinda gets easier. It allows for more complexity. At that implied stuff with Gandalf and the White Council and the return of Sauron could be fully explored.

20. NeoBaggins Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I totally agree about maintaining original cast members. Still, The Rings trilogy is epic, and to go back before it with a less intense and smaller scope film would tarnish it. The Hobbit is a great adventure story but more movies would run the appearence of a contrived milking of the Lords franchise. I had no idea these films would be near perfection in an entire trilogy. Thats something worthy of stepping away from and admiring it without trying to add more. Cant say I wouldnt see it though. I know the critics and cynical people alike would foam at the mouth at a chance to say that a part of the mighty trilogy isnt up to par. Leave it alone.
  21. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    You want epic? Make a series of Silmarillion films.:p
  22. CaptainBinaca Force Ghost

star 3
    There's enough in Silmarillion to fill an entire television series
  23. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, dear lord...

"Will Turin Turambar finally discover Niniel's true identity? Next time on... The Silmarillion Chronicles!"

Worse than a soap opera... :p
  24. Count_Doodie Jedi Knight

star 2

the sillmarillion and women - two things in this world that i can not get my head around!!
    -doodie
  25. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    It was on this day in history, 1939, that the Hobbit was first published.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.