main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit - Hopes and Speculation

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Kyptastic, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm not a huge Tolkien fanboy, but I loved the movies, and would kill to see Peter Jackson doing the battle of the 5 armies.

2. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I've been thinking a little about this. And it's not like Jackson is the only good director out there. I think the real fear, that I have, is that he's already proven a good fit for this franchise. And last time a beloved movie franchise of mine, got a change in director, it wasn't too good. (since this is a topic about the hobbit and not that movie, and we don't want to ruin the sanctity of this topic. That's why the movie will safely remain nameless)

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Changes in director are always nerve wracking. Will they get it right this time around? Also sometimes a change in directors is indicative of issues elsewhere in the production group that will ultimately affect the film (many times for the worse). It's certainly a very legitimate concern that Jackson might not be directing The Hobbit.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Why is New Line still trying to make The Hobbit without Jackson? I just read on IGN that New Line is still "on track" with a 2009 release (even though they still don't have a script). I really hope this doesn't happen. Without Jackson, do they think ANY of the LOTR actors will come back? Will they be able to use WETA? They seem to think they can make an easy buck but everything is spelling disaster.

5. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Because New Line is in the business of making money. The execs know that the Hobbit will kill at the box office because of the legs PJ created through LotR.

6. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    PJ was more than just the director of LOTR. He co-wrote the screen adaption and held a fierce quality control over every aspect with passion and zeal previoulsy unheard of in the literary adaption world.

No PJ for Hobbit = BIG risk...

Too bad he didn't write it and own it like another smart bugger we all know...

7. classic_fool

classic_fool Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2007
    Right now I have almost reached the opinion (like many fans) that I want Jackson, or no movie at all. Wish they would get all that stuff worked out.

8. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Definately a small Legolas cameo. It would strongly illustrate the kind of world it is in the stories. I don't care who does it as long as its someone who is passionate about an adaptation which is as faithful as possible. I'd actually prefer it to NOT be directed by someone hugely famous.
    They'd get a bit carried away I think...with CG and such.

If it can't be Jackson, maybe an NZ director?? One of the ADs on the LOTR?? They'd at least know how things should go.

9. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Maybe George Lucas should direct it.

[face_laugh]

10. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    haha as if! He wouldn't be able to leave his ranch!!

But the BIG QUESTION...who should play the Hobbit???

Coz it wont be Ian Holm...Bilbo has to be young.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Well, they'd need another "short" actor, like Elijah Wood. My recommendaion:

[image=http://www.nndb.com/people/156/000026078/crop-840114.jpg]

12. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I wasn't aware that Bilbo was of African decent...interesting.

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm figuring they could get him pretty cheap, save money for effects. Like making Webster look like a young Ian Holm.:p

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If X3 can make Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen look young in the opening scene, I'm sure that they could do an even better job on Ian Holm if they put their minds too it.

15. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I can't wait to see the scene when they are floating down the river in barrels hehe!

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The two scenes I want to see are Bilbo in the forest rescuing the Dwarves from the spiders, and any scenes with Smaug.

17. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    How could i forget Smaug?! My uncle has this dragon statue in this house that looks exactly like what Tolkein described Smaug as in The Hobbit. It's even holding the same coloured jewel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.