main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [The Hobbit, LOTR]: A Hobbit in Ered Luin Dear Diary 2014

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Space_Wolf, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This was another great update! Ristil's tale certainly was a dire one, but it is definitely one to get the ball rolling on the plot in more ways than one. That is not at all good news she brings about Mirkwood. [face_worried] I liked Kili's handling of the encounter with the Watchman, though his recognizing them though the article certainly warranted another eye-roll for Ori's sake. o_O Of course he had heard of them. :p

Through all of that though, I just love the growing ease and comfort between Kili and Hilda. You portray their relationship perfectly, and that is always a joy to read. [face_love]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Aye. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hope to do Nano next month if I get the chance, so I have more things typed up. I've basically run out of things to post. I'll try to get an update later on this week.

3. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    I decided to split this entry up again because it is a rather long one.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hilda Greenhill's Diary

26th Rethe

I woke up late the next morning, which was hardly surprising given the interruption in sleep. On the table beside my bed, I found a tray with scones, an apple and a half pint of water with a note from Kili. Of course, it wasn't written in the dwarven runes, but in the common language which men and hobbits mainly used, apart from the end of it, where he had written his name in runes. I tucked the note into my diary, deciding that I would paste it in there when I got the chance. Dwarven runes are beautiful, in their own way and I am glad that he trusted me enough to let me see his name written down, though if some of the other dwarves knew, I doubt that they would like it.

It said to meet him and Fili in the market place when I was ready. Just one snag, though - I don't know where the market place was in Bree, as this was the first time I've ever been here. I didn't quite fancy wandering Bree alone, especially after last night, but I had Trotter with me, so I don't think I was too vulnerable.

Sitting around the Inn all day held little appeal to me so I ate breakfast and got dressed, finishing by draping the woolen shawl over my shoulders. As I did so, I caught myself reflected in the mirror that was in the room. I'm becoming quite a skinny hobbit! It's all the traveling and skipping of meals like second breakfast, brunch, afternoon tea, etc. that is doing it. In spite of that, I didn't feel any worse for it, other than finding myself getting cold more easily. I tied my hair back and tucked it down my neckline. I had chosen to wear the traveling clothes rather than the dress that my grandmother had given me. I felt that it would be a good idea to try and hide my gender, at least until I was in the company of the dwarves, but I think all I accomplished was to look like a hobbit woman wearing a traveling cloak with the hood up!

Trotter proved indispensible at finding Kili and Fili. During the days when I tended the sheep, I had learnt the value of Trotter's nose when it came to tracking, so I gave Trotter his head, and followed him. The only problem was that the village was busy and Trotter was easily distracted. So it was in a kind of round about way that we came to the market. I found Bofur, Bifur and Bombur quite easily and from the position of the sun, I guessed that it was about midday. They had set up stall opposite a hobbit selling books. He wasn't getting much trade, though, which I thought was sad. I noticed that Bofur had bought a copy of the latest Ered Luin Chronicle. I didn't want to know what was in it this time, but I thought I'd best look at it.

"We sent the lads to get some lunch," Bofur said when I asked where Fili and Kili were.

I skimmed through the Chronicle. This week's gossip column was a retraction of the article about Kili and myself. It said that that edition of the Chronicle had not been up to the usual standard expected by the readers and that the article had never been meant for publication. Ori also said that he deeply regretted any distress it might have caused, but the damage had already been done, hadn't it? I still wanted to kill him…

Bofur caught me looking at it. "This week's edition of the Chronicle is rubbish," Bofur said.

Apart from the retraction of the article, I had to agree.

I tended the stall when Fili and Kili returned while the dwarves had lunch.

"Why don't you lads teke Hilda 'round t' market? We ken manage," Bofur said when they had finished eating. We were reluctant to leave, but after some persuading, we agreed to go.

I went over to the book stall and looked over the books that the hobbit was selling. I found one on gardening, which I bought. I loved gardening and wanted to establish one when we got back to Ered Luin. It might take a while to establish, but I thought I'd try to make myself useful to my new friends, my new family, really and grow vegetables and other things they needed. Fili and Kili didn't seem interested at all in the books and Fili was whispering to Kili about what he had been doing the night before. I got the feeling that it was something neither of them wanted their Uncle or their mother to find out about.

It may sound selfish of me, but it irritated me a little and I wished that it was just Kili and I… After buying the book, the brothers took me to the stall where they had bought lunch and I got myself a cheese sandwich and a small cake, and some beef for Trotter. They still continued ignoring me while I ate and fed Trotter, which caused me more annoyance.

It was nice to be doing something normal, something which I'd rarely had the chance to do since my family had been killed. At the same time, I missed Tristan and Siegfried very much that day and I think that will happen many times throughout my life.

Apart from Fili and Kili taking no notice of me, all was going well until Trotter started to growl at a pair of scruffy looking men. Fili and Kili were inspecting an armourer's wares and didn't notice them to begin with. One of them aimed a kick at him which caused Trotter to yelp out and the other one pushed me to the ground. I don't quite recall what happened next, because it all happened too quickly for me to follow. A fight broke out with the two brothers on one side and the men that Trotter had growled at on the other.

Trotter, his tail curled between his legs, slunk over to me and I sat there, watching the fight. It wasn't long before the village watch arrived to break up the fight. Fili calmed down quicker than Kili did, who had to be held back by men of the watch. Fili helped me to my feet and tried to explain what had happened.

"Save it for the magistrate," the watch's leader said, before ordering one of his men to arrest Fili. "And bring her, too."

[Part 2 to come….]

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I liked Hilda's reflecting and pondering about making a garden. Bree is full of no-good scruffy types it seems rather like Mos Eisley on Tattooine :p Idlers always looking to start something. :rolleyes:

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I too liked Hilda's reflections this post. It amused me greatly to see where she thought herself a skinny Hobbit, and I too liked her thoughts on her garden, and her irritation with the brothers. I can't say I blamed her there. :p

But the scuffle with the ruffians! That didn't sound good at all, and looks like it still may be a pickle for them to climb out of . . . [face_worried]

Excellent update, again. =D=

6. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Aye. I've been in situations where you are with some people and they completely ignore you and only talk to each other. I am not talkative when I am in large groups of people because I am quite introverted and I know the irritation well. But I think they were just doing what brothers do.

7. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Hilda Greenhill's Diary - part 2 of the last entry.

So I was bundled along with them. Trotter would not be parted from me and as he showed no sign of aggression towards the men of the watch, they let him come along. We were taken to the village gaol. They placed Kili, Fili and I in one cell, after relieving us of our weapons. From the smirk on Fili's face, I don't think they got everything he was carrying - he's a freaking walking armoury… Trotter followed us inside and the two men were placed in the cell next to us. The only thing that separated us from the men was a series of iron bars and we all sat as far away from them as we could.

"Don't worry, little brother, I'm sure Uncle will be able to straighten things out for us," Fili said.

"That's if he knows where to find us," Kili said.

I really didn't like the way the men kept staring at me and I sat as close to Kili as I could. Fili obligingly shielded me from them, for which I was grateful for. Trotter laid down in the middle of the cell floor, watching them, guarding all of us. Fili reached down and stroked Trotter's head.

"What I don't understand is what set Trotter off," I said. "It's not like him -"

Kili hugged my shoulders. "I think I do, Hilda. They're the same men from last night."

"How can you be sure of that?" Fili asked. "You said you didn't get a good look at them."

In reply, Kili indicated Trotter. "He knows."

This exchange puzzled me at first, until I realised that Kili must have spoken to Thorin and Fili about the incident last night.

"That would explain things," I said.

"The trouble is," Kili said in low tones. "There isn't enough evidence that they are the ones."

We had a long wait ahead of us and we couldn't even have a game of Hnefetafl to pass the time because it had been in the bag the guards had taken from Kili. I hoped he would get it back, because that game had, quite literally, begun the romance between us. Would I be with him now if he'd not come to me that night with the game to comfort me from my loss? It is difficult to know for sure. The afternoon drew onwards and leaning into Kili, I eventually began to feel drowsy and fell asleep, the price of not being able to do anything.

When I woke up, the light was beginning to fade, as the sun dropped below the horizon.

"They must be getting worried about us now," I whispered, when I regained my alertness.

"I don't think Uncle Thorin knows that we are here. If he did, he would have come for us by now," Fili said.

My stomach began to feel like an empty cavern, but relief was to come, if it could be counted as such. A fat, ill tempered woman came along with a guard bearing gruel and canteens of water on a trolley and pushed bowls of the stuff under the gap at the bottom of the barred door for us, along with some awful looking spoons. Although we were all hungry, none of us were hungry enough to attempt the slop. The Prancing Pony's most basic dish of soggy boiled cabbage was beginning to look inviting, but as dwarves really hate green food, I kept that to myself. Eventually, we did pluck up the courage to eat it. Trotter was given a bone with some meat on it…lucky thing! The woman must have a soft spot for dogs, if not miscreant dwarves and hobbit lasses. Fili washed his bowl out when he finished his - we had plenty of water! And gave it to Trotter. We were in for a long night….

[Part 3 of this entry coming up…]

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_worried] Don't like the sound of that. A long night ... Guess the ruffians run the town. :eek:

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    A long night indeed. [face_worried] This is quite the pickle they have themselves in . . . :(

I look forward to seeing what comes next. =D= :)

10. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Bree always spells trouble. Look what happened to Frodo and company when they were there...

11. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    As there is only November and December to go, there will only be four more entries to the diary, two for November and two for December. I am going to see how much of the part two of this done for NaNo. It has been fun doing this. I think for next year if I take part in the diary challenge (and this has been a tough one because of the troubles I had with being ill during the summer), I am going to focus on a story featuring Ori, Ori's mother, his brothers and the mystery that surrounds the men in the life of Ori's mother. The things which happen during the Hobbit can wait for another time, I think. (Perhaps I can do it for next year's NaNo?)

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Whatever shape your next year's project takes, I'll read it. [face_batting] =D=

13. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Thanks. I just wanted to do something different to this, but within the same series, and there are so many dwarves that there is always something you can write about with them. I've got the bug. My Star Wars stuff will have to wait. And there is about 50,000 words of this, all together. I've been posting it on Archive of Our Own and got the word count from that. Despite being ill over the summer, I am pleased to have been able to write this much for it, and this story was only ever supposed to be a short story. It just shows how writing Tolkien can, quite literally, run away with you...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hilda's Diary

(final part of the last entry)

"There has to be a way out of here," I said, quietly, after some time.

"But if we attempt to escape, how do we know that our friends in the next cell won't raise the alarm?" Fili asked.

"Good point," I conceded. Kili, however, wouldn't be beat that easily.

"We could wait until they are asleep and then attempt it," he suggested.

Fili shook his head. "I think we would be better waiting for Uncle, or Dwalin to fetch us. They will know that something has happened to us by now. Bofur would have told him that we didn't meet back up with him, Bombur and Bifur…"

While we waited, I took the opportunity to study the cell. We could attempt to see if any of the bars were loose. Fili, of course, had misgivings. As the older of the two brothers, I think he took it up on himself to ensure that nothing happened to us, and he was also Thorin's heir. That is something that I must not forget, but in some ways, it made me more anxious to want to get us out of this place….

"Even if we did get out," Fili pointed out, speaking quietly. "How would we get past the guards without our weapons, or more importantly, without hurting any of them? They are only doing their jobs, ensuring that peace is maintained in Bree."

"So you suggest we wait?" Kili asked his brother.

"Aye. I think it is the best thing we can do, Kili," Fili answered.

While they were talking, I tested the bars to see if I could move any of them. Of course, I couldn't. They were either stuck fast, or I was too weak to budge them. I do not have a lot of strength, after all, at least not when it is compared to hobbit men, and even more so where dwarves are concerned. I know first hand that Kili is far stronger than I am. Fili didn't seem to pay attention to what I was doing - he looked lost in thought about how to get us out of this situation. Kili, of course, paid more attention to me and, with a smile, gently pushed me aside.

"Let me try, Hilda," he whispered.

Fili shot him a look which made it clear that he didn't approve of the escape attempt, and in that glance, I caught a glimpse of his Uncle, stern, but fair at the same time. Seeing that there was no dissuading his younger brother, Fili tried to conceal what he was doing from the other inmates.

"Oi…what are you doing, dwarf?"

"Kili, it would be wise for you to stop…" Fili warned.

Kili didn't seem to hear, his concentration fully on what he was doing. Other prisoners caught on to what he was doing, some of them yelling at him to take them with us if we succeeded in escaping, others yelling for the guards to bring to their attention what he was doing.

"Kili…," I whispered in warning, placing my left hand on his right arm.

"You should stop, brother…"

It was too late, though. A couple of guards appeared, and unlocked the door to our cell. It took me all I could to stop Trotter from attacking them, for he was growling at them furiously. I knew that they would have no problems at all with killing my dog if he did attack them. One of the guards dragged Kili from the cell, while the other one punched Fili hard in the face as he attempted to assist his brother. Dazed, Fili looked up at the men from the floor of the cell while the door was slammed shut. They beat Kili up in front of us, and did so in spite of Fili's objections that he was a prince. I don't think that he was believed, because years of poverty in exile had robbed the Durins of any appearance of being Royalty. It was only apparent if you knew them well, or visited them in the Meadhall at Ered Luin, or if you witnessed the way other dwarves deferred to them. Thorin did retain an air of majesty about him, but it manifested itself in a way that indicated he wasn't beaten, that he was determined to bring dignity back to his people, despite all of the hardships that the dwarven people had endured.

Kili was shoved back into the cell when we was almost unconscious and I tended to him.

"It will be worse for you, if you try to tamper with the bars again," one of the guards warned us.

I found it very difficult to hold back my tears at seeing my love harmed. Fili, I could see, was shaking with anger, though if it was at himself, or the guards, or his brother, or even me, it was difficult for me to tell. Kili squeezed my hand in his while he recovered and it was some time before he was lucid again. Fili checked him over. He was badly bruised in a lot of places, but the guards were experts at hurting people to subdue them, but without causing them so much harm that it threatened their life. It looked, and felt for Kili, at least, a hell of a lot worse than it actually was.

"There may be a way out of here," I said, quietly, looking up at the window high above us, when Kili had recovered enough to sit up.

Fili looked at the spot where I was looking. "The window?" Fili shook his head. "It's far too high…"

Loud snoring came from the cell opposite and all the other cells around us had become quiet, informing us that our "friends" were sleeping. I was anxious to get out, because I was worried about Kili. He looked dreadful, and was of little help here.

"I could climb on to your shoulders," I suggested to Fili. "And test the bars to see if they are loose…"

Fili looked around, noticing that everything was quiet. I think he was as concerned about Kili as I was. "I suppose we ought to try," he conceded.

With Kili's help, though it was quite difficult for him, given his recent beating, to hold me steady, I climbed on to Fili's shoulders. It was very difficult for me to keep my balance and I was quite wobbly. I almost toppled twice, but with Kili's help, I kept my balance - just… It was no good, though. The bars wouldn't budge and were set too firmly in position for me to even remotely hope of getting them loose.

"It's no good, I'm afraid," I said. "They won't move at all. Help me down, Kili."

Kili did so and enfolded me in a hug. I could tell that he wanted to kiss me, but he was too self-conscious to do so with his brother present. I had to admit that I was too.

There was nothing for it but to settle down for an uncomfortable night on the cobbled floor and wait for rescue. The drawback of hobbits not wearing shoes? My feet were freezing in that place. We tried to get some sleep on the cobbles, which wasn't easy because none of us could get comfortable. My shawl came in handy as a makeshift blanket, Kili laid on one side of me, his strong arms wrapped around me. Fili went to sleep on my other side, mainly to keep warm more than anything else. Part of what made those cobbles uncomfortable was the cold. I am sure if it had been winter, we would have frozen. Trotter slept at our feet and I was glad he was with us.

Needless to say - it was a long night.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: Another long night. [face_nail_biting] Rescue has to come from somewhere. [face_dancing] Let Gandalf show up and it's show-time [face_laugh] [face_love]

15. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    They were actually only in there for one night...I just had to break up the entry because it was a long one and I've not had a lot of time to work on it. I have decided though that there will be a few more entries before the diary is "officially" finished - and before I can move on to the next part. It just seems a better place to end it than where I was going to. You'll see what I mean when I do.

I am seriously considering abandoning the twitter stuff and concentrating solely on fan fic. I do have fun with it, but recently the fun with it has been at an all time low. There is always someone who has a problem with you for no logical reason which I can work out. It begins to get tiresome. The problem is writing fan fic all the time does get lonely and although I know the problem I have on twitter I would never encounter on here because of the rules and terms of service, there isn't a game currently running which takes my fancy and I don't have the experience to start a game myself. It's not good at all.

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    And the long night continues! With escape out of the question, rescue is looking pretty good right about now . . . [face_worried]

And I have to echo Deb in saying that I look forward to reading whatever more of this series you have in whatever shape it takes. I do look forward to learning more about Ori, too (though I have a softspot for Kili/Hilda now and am really looking forward to the rest of their tale. [face_batting])

=D=[:D]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    I do have one question - should I continue posting in this thread after the year is up when I continue the story, (the things I've written during NaNo,) or should I start a new thread? As it is a continuation of the story and in the same year so to speak, I think it makes sense to continue in this thread and start a new one when I get to the events in The Hobbit.

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I personally think that it makes sense to keep things going in this thread - I've known plenty who kept on going with their plot, or went on updating into the new year until their diary was complete, regardless of the date. :) Personally, I am just excited that we will get more into next year! :p

(Not that I am sitting back with popcorn and soda waiting, or anything. ;))

19. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    I have enjoyed writing it, and I like the fact that I keep coming up with ideas. I'm hoping to get a new computer next year and then I should be able to do more writing. The only thing is, I can only really concentrate on one story at a time. When I wrote Star Wars fan fic, I was always starting new stories and hardly ever finishing any of them. I do hope that I will be able to get back to them eventually. Writing this helps me cope with not being able to do the uni stuff which I want to do.

20. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Kili's Journal

27th Rethe

I woke up with a splitting headache the next morning and I was a little confused as to where I was and why, along with Hilda and Fili, due to the fact of waking up in a jail cell. The beating I'd taken only added to the confusion. After a minute or two of contemplating, it all came back to me.

Oh Mahal, what had happened?

Uncle Thorin is going to be extremely mad with all of us when he finds out what has happened to us. It is not a prospect which I enjoy. Hilda shivered as she woke up. I hated seeing her cold, so I wrapped her shawl around her and held her in my arms as we waited for Fili to wake from his slumber. Trotter seemed to be the only one taking this in his stride.

I noticed that we were the only ones awake, so I kissed the back of Hilda's neck as I pushed her hair aside to do so. Hilda responded by leaning in to me, and oh Mahal, it felt so good holding her like that. I started to braid her hair, mainly for something to pass the time and because I loved the feel of the touch of it in my fingers. Looking back on things, I really should have done this with her first, before that night in the hay loft, but people would have wanted to know who had braided her hair and it would have drawn too much attention, especially since people thought we'd been messing around with each other anyway.

One of the problems that I face as a prince is that everyone is always watching what I do. You would have thought that being Royalty would have meant that I would have had more freedom than others. But this is not the case at all. In fact, the reason why Ori seems to get away with a lot of what he does is that he's not Royalty, even if he is a Durin. No one pays attention to what he does, and that is why he and Lofnheid are able to do things which neither I nor Fili would ever get away with. But if Dwalin and Dori ever found out…oh dear…

We didn't speak to each other, just enjoyed each other's closeness and company.

I stopped braiding Hilda's hair when a groan from Fili indicated that he was waking up. When he saw what I'd done, he smirked at me.

"Hilda, you'd better undo those braids before my Uncle sees it."

She looked at Fili, rather blankly.

"Oh brother, you've not told her what hair braiding means to dwarves, have you?"

"It completely left my mind," I replied and I whispered quietly in Hilda's ear. She giggled and went bright red.

"I believe you've embarrassed her, Kili," Fili said, with a knowing smile.

We all went quiet when the oaken door to the corridor clanged open as it's iron fixings banged against a cell and in strode the watchman from the Inn. It turns out that he is the Captain of the guard and a man called Hamund. He was followed by an angry looking pair of dwarves, my Uncle and Mr Dwalin.

"You're lucky, this time that your Uncle and your war general were able to vouch for you, or you'd most likely be hanging, or sentenced to hard labour," Hamund barked at us. "And those two, we know are the real trouble-makers because they've been wanted for assaults on women in the area."

I don't know if he was kidding about us being hung, or sentenced to hard labour, but the expression on Mr Dwalin's face made me think that he and my Uncle had come up with the idea to put the fear of Morgoth into us. The watchman unlocked the cell door and indicated for us to come out. Fili exited first, and I waited for Hilda to go through the door with Trotter before I went through. I felt lousy.

"We're free to go?" I asked the Watchman.

"For now," he replied, with a stern expression on his face. "I don't want us to cross paths again."

Mr Dwalin patted Fili roughly on the back between his shoulder blades. He was being encouraging, I suppose, but also wanted to express his anger at the same time. I must have looked a state, because he didn't do that to me.

I don't recall ever seeing Uncle Thorin so angry before in my life. I was almost tempted to ask the Watchman if we could go back into the cell, so that we didn't have to face his wrath, but I don't think it would have gone down too well. Uncle Thorin indicated for me to walk ahead of him and guided me by the shoulder as he would have done when we were dwarflings and got caught out at doing something we shouldn't be doing. Hilda followed behind us with Trotter and Dwalin brought up the rear, constantly looking around for trouble that he had to defend his King and heirs from.

I do have a lot of respect for Mr Dwalin, but I am also somewhat afraid of him as well, even though I know that he would never intentionally harm me. I was glad that he was on my side and not that of an enemy. We walked back to the Prancing Pony in silence.

When we got back to the Prancing Pony, Uncle Thorin persuaded the innkeeper to let the stable boy have the day off and paid for the lad's wages for that day. He made me and Fili spend the day doing the stable lad's job - for free. It could have been worse, I suppose, apart from the fact that at first Hilda wasn't allowed to help us even though she wanted to. Trotter on the other hand, found a fresh bale of straw to get comfortable on and watched us work. If I didn't know any better, I would swear that the dog was laughing at us, but who knows what really goes through the mind of an animal?

It became apparent, however that because of the beating I'd taken that I couldn't keep up with it and eventually, Uncle Thorin relented and allowed Hilda to join us. I sat down to watch them work together with Trotter beside me, stroking the sheepdog's head. It pleased me, somewhat, to see that Hilda and Fili got along so well. It is always good to see those that you love the most get along together so well, and I think that Mam and Uncle Thorin had accepted Hilda in the same way.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awww about the hair braiding and whew! for the rescue. The discipline they got was not too harsh and I'm glad Thorin eventually relented. Fili is a dear about Hilda. :)

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I loved the hair-braiding bit of this. Symbolic hair in Tolkien's universe is a pet trope of mine, and I just automatically turn to a smiling mess whenever it is used. :p Once again, this was a fantastic glimpse into Kili's mind, especially with his thoughts about his responsibilities and Hilda. I am glad that they were able to clear up that mess, even with Thorin's displeasure. :)

23. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    The significance of hair braiding in dwarves is something which comes up quite a lot. I'm fed up of this stupid cold though. It's really slowing me down with NaNo. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the whole 50,000 words, but I have managed to keep up with it so I may still make it. But I do need to put a bit of action in it though which I'm going to do after NaNo as at the moment, what I have is a bit too much of a romance. I like to put quite a few different things into a story so that it doesn't just have one theme.

24. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Ok, what have I started? Do you think Hollywood will be wanting a Derbyshire dialect consultant next year for when they start doing a slew of films with it in? Maybe they'll turn James Herriot into a series of new films..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-30104871

25. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    It is very tempting to post the next part of this story, but if I do, I shall ruin the schedule for next month, so it will have to wait until next week, unfortunately! After doing NaNo, I'm taking December off from writing because it's exhausted me quite a bit and there's been quite a few distractions this month. My dog was attacked on Sunday and that has put a dampener on a lot of things this week. He's alright, though. It's that kind of thing which puts me off writing sometimes, and my first part of NaNo needs some editing done on it, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Just checked and that is the case. If I post now, I won't have the second entry for December done, so I'm going to have to leave it.