main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [The Hobbit, LOTR]: A Hobbit in Ered Luin Dear Diary 2014

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Space_Wolf, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    While I adored the update, I am sorry about your bad news. :( I hope everything is okay, or turns out to be. [:D]

That said, this really was a sweet and warm update. I liked seeing Kili's thoughts, and his realizations about Hilda were equally sweet to read. I like seeing the burgeoning friendship between them, and I am glad she could help care for him. [face_love] Once again, I look forward to the mystery with Thorin being solved, as well. [face_thinking]

This was another excellent update, and I look forward to when you can post more. :) =D=

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Things aren't ok, but it's not as bad as I expected it to be, so things are getting back to normal, but I have typed a lot of the story up already and so I am far ahead of what I've been posting, so if it does develop into a problem, it probably won't impact on the story much. I posted the last update when I did so that I wouldn't be leaving people hanging. I'll just have to see how things go over the next few weeks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hilda Greenhill's Diary

Dis was not happy when she visited Kili for the first time after he had woken up because he got out of bed while I had gone to fetch him something to eat. He had reopened his wound. As a result, Dis set Skafid to keep an eye on him when Dis or I couldn't. Kili was not happy about that because Skafid had a tendency to make more of a fuss than Dis did, and he began to refer to Skafid as the "old snap-dragon" behind her back. Fili, Gimli and Ori found it hilarious. I think it embarrassed Kili somewhat to be watched over like some small child, especially when all she did was knit. It was difficult for me as well, because although Dis and I encouraged Kili to take things easy, Skafid took it to the extreme and wouldn't even allow him to play a game of Hnefetafl with me. Ori was sympathetic, because he had to put up with his mother's fussing all the time, and it was a relief when she left when evening came. Fili would visit then and tell him what had been going on in the mead hall that day. I don't think Dis wholly approved of it because she thought he should be resting, but if Thorin failed to return then Kili would need to know what had been happening. When Balin explained the logic to her, she tolerated it.

Kili was on the mend by the fifth day after the accident, of which I am glad. Seeing him injured so badly had made me fear that he would die too and too soon after the loss of my family. Because he was well on his way to recovery, Skafid went back to spending time in the mead hall. There had still been no word of Thorin and he had yet to return. The snows had come back.

As it was taking so long, Fili had decided that he would take a party consisting of Dwalin, Gloin, Nori, Dori and Oin to search for Thorin and the others once the storm had passed. Kili would have joined the party too, if Dis had let him. Instead, she'd asked me to keep a close eye on him, which I was glad to do, especially now that Skafid wasn't around.

Just like on the morning of the boar hunt, the dwarf women saw Fili and the rest of the party off. Kili was absent, and still in bed. After we had seen them off, I decided to go to the mead hall and get him some breakfast. Dis went with me because she wanted to help Balin with any business that came up during her eldest son's absence.

When I brought breakfast to Kili's room, he was not there. I set the food down and went in search of him. He was no where in the cottage. I was beginning to get worried. It was Trotter that gave him away. The dog had not left Kili since the accident and I saw the dog outside the stables. When I entered the stables, I found him saddling up Bungo.

"You mean to go after them," I said. It was a statement, not a question.

"I have had enough of sitting idly by. Fili and I got you here safely. My uncle is out there in the wilderness."

I could see the determination in his eyes and that no amount of arguing with him would dissuade him from heading out. There was only one course of action I could take.

"Not alone, you're not. If you're going out there, I'm coming with you," I said. I expected him to object, but I guess I had the same determined look that he did.

"Alright," he said.

"I'll meet you at the edge of the edge of the settlement after I've got some supplies," I said, while stroking Trotter's head. "He's coming with us as well. His nose is good. He will be able to follow Fili's trail if more snow falls." And I didn’t add, though this was my primary reason for wanting to accompany him, I can make sure that nothing happens to you.

"Agreed," Kili said. "Just one problem -I'll need to sneak past mother some how. She has eyes like an hawk."

"She's up at the mead hall, so there's no need to worry," I said. "Oh, before I forget, I brought you some breakfast. It's up in your room."

Within the hour, we'd had breakfast, gathered supplies and were following Trotter on Fili's trail.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Definitely like the fact that Kili couldn't sit still ;) and that Hilda is as determined as he is to participate in whatever needs doing. Kili doesn't seem to mind Hilda's 'mothering'. :)

4. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was another wonderful update. Of course Kili can't sit still - especially when the wellbeing of family is involved. I am glad that HIlda is going with him though, to make sure he doesn't do anything too strenuous. :p =D=

5. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    I wanted to show the reckless part of his personality. There has to be a reason Dis gives him the rune stone to make him promise to come back to her. I am both looking forward to and dreading the final film, knowing what happens to Kili, Fili and Thorin in the book.

6. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Kili's Journal

The hobbit woman surprised me greatly when she said that she would accompany me on the search for Uncle Thorin. The day we found her lying in the snow, she had appeared small and weak, ill equipped to even survive the journey back to Ered Luin. Now, I was beginning to see that she was tougher than she appeared.

"Do you think anyone suspects anything?" I asked her, as she had gone to the mead hall.

"I don't think so," Hilda said.

"We'd best get going, just incase," I said. Hilda was able to get onto Bungo's back without my help and I got up behind her. The wound still hurt and Hilda noticed.

"Are you sure you're up to this?" she asked.

"Quite," I replied, but to be honest, I wasn't really sure that I was. Pride or maybe stubbornness kept me from letting on how bad the wound sapped my strength. We kept to the quieter paths, hoping that we wouldn't encounter anyone. We had decided at the stables that it would be best just to take Bungo. Hilda's Crowberry would just draw too much attention.

Now, our biggest concern was to keep a good enough distance behind Fili's party without losing them, but which also allowed us to remain unnoticed, especially when we were close to Thorin's Gate. Maybe later, perhaps this evening, we would join them, as by then we would be too far away from Thorin's Gate to make us go back. I mentioned my idea to Hilda.

"A sound plan," Hilda said. As we had to keep to the quieter paths to get out of Thorin's Gate, it took longer than I wanted to get on to the trail of Fili's party, but it was easy enough to follow once we had found the path they had taken because of the high degree of disturbed snow.

"Are you skilled with the bow?" Hilda asked as we rode. I had made sure to bring it and my sword with me.

"Aye, though the boar that did this to me would have you believe other wise," I replied. "I hear elves are better."

There must have been something in my voice at the mention of elves. "You don't think much of wood elves?" she asked.

"False friends, they are," I replied. "When the dragon drove my people out of Erebor, they stood by and watched, even when my great grand father and Uncle asked them for help. They left them to wonder homeless in the wilderness."

Hilda's voice betrayed her shock. "I was always under the impression that they are a kind people."

"Cowardly would be a better description. They prefer to hide in their forests while dragons and orcs plunder and destroy the mountain halls of my people. They care little for what happens beyond their own borders, at least, this is what my Uncle tells me."

Hilda remained quiet for a while. I wondered if I might have been too harsh.

"My father didn't believe in weapons. He disliked violence of any kind and preferred to live in peace," Hilda said. "My brothers wanted to learn how to use a sword because they saw the dwarves who traded with us sometimes carried them, but my father forbade it. Perhaps if my father and brothers had been able to defend themselves, they would not have died."

I didn't know what to say to that. Orcs are viscous and their wargs even more so. I doubted that knowing how to wield a sword, axe or bow would have made any difference when the orcs attacked her farm. The numbers would also have overwhelmed them. I decided that it would not have been a good idea to tell her, that, though.

"I would like to learn how to wield a sword and shoot a bow myself," Hilda said.

"I think it could be arranged," I said.

Most of the dwarf women, especially the younger ones, knew how to fight. It had been necessary for them to learn after being exiled from Erebor. However, most of them didn't fight on a regular basis, preferring to leave it to men. This was mainly due to having other tasks to perform. My mother, Vif (before the days of marriage) and Bild were exceptions.

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Another wonderful update. =D= I am glad they have a sound plan going, and wish them all the best with its coming to fruition. Hilda does have a sound head on her shoulders, and she is showing to be a very strong one. I am enjoying getting to know her. [face_love]

Interesting too was Kili's insight on the Elves. That is such a deep rift going back centuries, and it is sad to see as it continues to take its toll. It makes the meetings to come later in this story all the more interesting to look forward to. :p [face_thinking] (That said, are you planning to do the whole Hobbit story arc? Or is this more of a prequel story? If the latter, I may have to work on bugging you for more later. ;))

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I can understand Hilda's musings about if her menfolk knew weaponry perhaps that would have made a difference and now her wanting to learn of that just for self-defense if nothing else. Fili's opinion on Elves are understandable given the encounters of the past but times change and peoples must fight together ... [face_thinking] The Wood-Elves will have to learn to be less insular and Dwarves more trusting especially oin future encounters to aid in cooperation. :) (Of all the peoples of Middle-Earth and beyond, I must confess my strongest affection lies with the Elven-kind.) ;) The folk of Lorien and Rivendell have seen to that [face_love]

9. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Kili's a young dwarf and doesn't really know what he's talking about, and is just repeating the opinions of his uncle. Don't forget, though, that in the film version (I'm going by that because I've not The Silmarillion), Thranduil and the elves of Mirkwood don't help the dwarves fight off Smaug, or gave them any help afterwards. I don't blame Thorin for disliking elves after something like that and he would pass on that dislike to his nephews. In the book there's quite a bit of tension between the two races. In the real world you get good people at odds with each other because of a misunderstanding - things aren't always as perfect as they should be, or as we would like them to be.

I would like to continue the story on to the Hobbit (and maybe beyond, but it depends on whether or not I have the time to do it. There are somethings which happen at the end of the Hobbit which I want to change, and I am unsure if I should do it or not.)

10. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    I know I'm posting quite a bit of the story this week. I realised as I was looking through it that we are in April now and it's yet to get post Yule (which I should have got past ages ago!). The little hiatus I had to take hasn't helped things much, so I'm going to speed things up a little. Just let me know if I'm posting too often.

Hilda Greenhill's Diary

The trail wasn't difficult to follow because of the clear tracks in the snow, but it was bitterly cold. Frost had formed in my hair. I don't know how anyone could survive in it and it felt like I was lost in a frozen landscape. I began to question the wisdom of leaving Thorin's Gate, but I decided to keep my opinion to myself for the time being. If Kili showed any sign of sickening from his healing wound, then I would make him go back. He didn't seem to be as relaxed as we rode as he had been on the way to Thorin's Gate. He became less talkative the longer we rode until he became silent altogether.

When the sun was at it's highest in the sky, we stopped and broke into the supplies. We also made a small fire in an attept to warm up a bit. Kili did not look well, I observed as we ate.

"How are you holding up?" I asked.

"I'm fine," Kili replied, though from the expression on his face, I could see that he wasn't.

"You aren't. You should let me take a look at it."

I ignored Kili's protests.

"It's reopened," I said, showing him the blood on my hands. Before he could respond, there was a low growl emitting from behind me. I turned to look as Kili pushed me aside, picked up his bow and laded it. A group of three bandits were bearing down on us. Kili fired off an arrow and hit one of them. I, being neither harmed, nor learned in combat, could only watch. Trotter's hackles were firmly raised as he snarled at the on coming bandits. Kili managed to get off another shot, which also hit its intended target, but there was no time for him to load and fire his bow a third time. Kili dropped his bow and drew his sword. Kili and the final bandit locked swords but I could see that it was a fight that Kili was unlikely to win. The wound was taking its toll on Kili's strength.

I wasn't even thinking about doing anything, I just reacted. It is difficult to describe what happened, or how or why the idea came to me. In a moment, I was on Bungo's back and shouted to Kili to move aside as I directed the pony towards the bandit to trample him. The bandit didn't stand a chance as blood, slush and mud sprayed up from the ground as he was crushed under Bungo's hooves. Kili had only just managed to out of Bungo's way and he looked up at me on the pony from where he was sprawled on the ground. I don't know who was more astonished, myself, or Kili.

I slid down from Bungo's back as Kili got to his feet. All he could say was "Thanks."

"Who were they?" I asked as Kili examined the one I had trampled.

"Bandits from Dunland, by the looks of it," Kili said. "They sometimes attack the villages in these parts. Almost as much a nuisance as the orcs and wargs. Sometimes, they even ally themselves with the orcs."

"Do you think that these were?" I asked.

"No. Just bandits out to rob travelers, most likely. I guess a lone dwarf and a hobbit look like an easy target," Kili replied.

We checked the other two to see if they were dead or just wounded.

"This is interesting," I heard Kili say when we examined the first one he had shot. "Looks like it wasn't random after all."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Remember the man Nori tried to steal from? That's him," Kili winced. The bleeding had intensified.

"I should see to that wound," I said.

Reluctantly, Kili agreed.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, Hilda's resourceful and fortunately quick ;) [face_worried] about that wound of Kili's though. That little thiever at the inn had consequences after all, even though I think the pilfered stuff was returned. [face_thinking]

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ack! I am glad for Hilda's quick thinking there! She is certainly showing some gumption and some spirit with every passing post. [face_love] Both the weather and Kili's wound have me worried though - that does not at all sound like a good combination for travelling. :( [face_worried] Another wonderful update, though. =D=

(That said, I don't think these are coming to fast at all. The segments are relatively short and easy to read - and I understand speeding up the posting to get where you should be in the plot. I'm going to have to do that myself starting soon. :p That, and this is a good story. I am enjoying the quick updates. ;) [:D])

13. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    But we don't know everything that Nori gets up to. I'm sure there's lots of things he does which no one finds out about and unfortunately, the people he's with could get the blame for his actions. Sometimes the people he crosses could just be as bad as he is. It's often the case with thieves.

14. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    A bit of a short entry, this one.
    ------------------------------------------
    Kili's Journal

The wound I had sustained during the boar hunt forced us to turn back. The journey back seemed to take an eternity. It was dusk when we finally arrived back, and needless to say that mother really was not happy with either of us, especially when she learnt about the bandits. Though she didn't like the fact that Hilda had encouraged me, she did thank the hobbit for going with me to ensure nothing bad happened to me (other than almost getting killed by the bandits of course) and for persuading me to turn back for home.

There was nothing to it but to await the return of Fili and his party and hopefully, Uncle Thorin would be with him.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hmmm. :p Hilda's advice was sound and I am glad they were able to return safely, although Kili's probably feeling frustrated ;) Hopefully there will be definite news when the others return.

16. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    The wait will be over soon. Don't worry.

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Poor Kili! It must have stung to turn back home, but I was glad he could see the wisdom in Hilda's advice. Now, there is nothing to do but to wait. Which is always the hardest part. :oops:

=D=

18. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Now this is the entry which everyone's been waiting for. Just what had happened to Thorin?

Hilda Greenhill's Diary

Good news came late in the afternoon on the last day of Foreyule. Kili and I were playing a game of Hnefetafl in the living room when a very breathless and excited Ori burst in.

"Thorin and Fili are back," he said.

"Let's go," Kili said, wincing as he stood up too quickly. The wound was still painful for him if he made sudden movements. I wanted to tell him to be careful, but he was getting fed up of his mother fussing over him all the time since the injury, so I didn't say anything.

"Any news of the orcs?" Kili asked Ori as we walked towards the mead hall.

"I don't know. I didn't stay around long enough to find out," Ori replied.

"We can find out later," I said. I had a few questions of my own, mainly relating to what happened to my farm, but I figured that they could wait.

By the time we got to the mead hall, we found that most of the dwarves had already gathered there and it was quite difficult to push through the crowd. Ori went in front of us, trying to make a path for us through the press of dwarves, but most were ignoring him. Without counting the children, Ori is one of the youngest dwarves in the settlement and he isn't much of a warrior and given his lack of interest in mining, I think the other dwarves found it easy to over look him. That was until one of the dwarves saw Kili and climbed up onto one of the tables. It was a dwarf I had not met before, to my knowledge. Later, I learnt that his name is Bofur.

"Ey up, Kili. Ah hear tha wer in a feight wi' a boar an' lost," he said.

Nori started singing this song, and the younger dwarves joined in.

Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee,
    On t' Tor baht 'at?!
    Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?

On t' Tor baht 'at?!
    On t' Tor baht 'at?!

Tha's been a cooartin' a hobbit lass
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Tha's been a cooartin' a hobbit lass
    An' we all got wet

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Wer t' elves play rugby

Tha's bahn t'catch thi deeath o'cowd
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Tha's bahn t'catch thi deeath o'cowd
    Wit' ought thi trousers on

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Wer t' sheep fly backards

Then wi shall ha' to bury thee
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Then wi shall ha' to bury thee

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at

Then t'wyrms 'll come an' eat thee oop
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Then t'wyrms 'll come an' eat thee oop

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at

Then ducks 'll come an' eat oop t'wyrms
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Then ducks 'll come an' eat oop t'wyrms

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at

Then wi shall go an' ate oop t' ducks
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Then wi shall go an' ate oop t' ducks

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Wer t' ducks play footy

Then wi shall all 'ave etten thee
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    Then wi shall all 'ave etten thee

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at

That's wheer wi get us oahn back
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    That's wheer wi get us oahn back

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at

There is a moral to this tale
    Don't go a courtin' a hobbit lass
    Don't go wit' ought yer hat
    Don't go a courtin' a hobbit lass
    Don't go wit' ought yer hat
    On t' Tor baht 'at

On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    On t' Tor baht 'at
    When courtin' allus wear a hat

It was a crude song and extremely embarrassing. If there was any moment in my life that I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me, then that was it. I'm sure Kili felt the same. When the song finished, an imposing dwarf made his way through the crowd towards us. He had no problem getting through.

"Uncle Thorin, it is good that you are back," Kili said.

Thorin hugged his nephew. "You shouldn't really be here," he said, in reference to Kili's injury. "But now that you are here, you may as well stay."

Thorin turned to me. "Join us, little hobbit. Dis told me what you did for my nephew."

I felt a little awkward as I joined them. Dis and Fili were already at the table.

"Uncle, did you catch up with the orcs?" Kili asked.

"We'll discuss that another time," Thorin replied.

I wanted to know what had happened at the farm, but given Thorin's response to Kili's question, I doubted that Thorin would have answered it at that moment. It also did not feel right to be talking of such things when we were celebrating Thorin's return. Some time later, Bofur, Bifur, Bombur, Balin and Dwalin joined us, and I wondered if they were going to bring up the subject of the orcs, but they didn't.

"Tha might want to go easy on the mead, lass," Balin said to me. "It's strong stuff."

One thing I noticed was that dwarves have appalling table manners, so much so that I think it would have given my mother an heart attack had she witnessed it. It was not something which had been apparent before, but it could be that the community had been made up mainly of dwarf women before Thorin's return, or it could be that the return of Thorin combined with the excitement of Yule had made them more boisterous than I had previously seen them. There were food fights, drinking contests, Nori and Gloin in particular drank each other under the table. On a dare, Ori and Gimli drank mead until they were both sick, much to their mothers' consternation. Gloa blamed Gloin on being a bad influence on Gimli. Miraculously, there were no serious fights, even though there was a lot of grumbling and arguing among the dwarves.

Thorin called for music and the dwarves who weren't too drunk to play responded.

That was how the Yule celebrations began.

The song featured in this entry is based on a Yorkshire Folk song, called On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at. I just had to use it.

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was definitely a time to celebrate! I am glad to see spirits so high with both the Yule and Thorin's return - though I am still curious as to the news he bears. [face_thinking]

=D=

20. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    I've decided to post multiple entries in one post, if it's not too confusing to anyone. I type it up in One Note and found that I have about 50 entries (I've only posted about 18, I think) and even if I posted one every day, which would probably drive people bonkers, it would still take over a month to properly catch up. A lot of the entries are quite short, as well. (There are times when there is too much story...) Just let me know if it gets too confusing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Kili's Journal

As midnight approached, I went outside to get some fresh air. I needed it and though I was glad that Uncle Thorin and Fili had returned, I did not feel up to being in a crowd because of my wound. Hilda was sat on the steps watching Trotter nosing around in the snow. I sat down beside her.

"It's cold to be sitting out here," I said.

"I needed to get out of there for a while. Your people are welcoming, but -"

"You miss them," I finished, referring to her family.

"I did forget that they were gone for a short while, but - I really don't know how to describe it," Hilda said.

"You don't need to, at least, not to me," I said.

"Your mother told me what had happened to your father," Hilda said. "And your grandfather and uncle."

"I knew my father," Kili said. "My grandfather and Uncle Frerin were gone before Fili and I were born."

"Is it easier, not knowing them?" Hilda asked.

I did not know how to answer that question. Was it? "I don't know," I answered, finally.

We sat for a while looking at the winter stars. The lack of cloud cover made it colder than it would have been had it been over cast, but it also made the air crisp and fresh which helped to revitalise me. I thought now would be a good time to give Hilda the pendant I had been making for her.

"At Yule, we exchange gifts with close friends and family, and I have something for you," I said.

"Hobbits do the same thing," Hilda said, wiping her eyes.

"It is just something I made for you shortly after we arrived here," I said, holding it out to her. "I was hoping that it would cheer you up a bit, after your loss." Words seemed inadequate, as I knew that it wouldn't make up for what she had lost, but I wanted her to know that she didn't have to go through it alone.

"I have never seen anything like this," she said. "What is it made of?"

"Mithril," I replied. "We don't have a lot of it left and it is one of the last pieces."

"It's beautiful," she said and then she kissed me. I really wished at that moment that I wasn't injured.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hilda Greenhill's Diary

20th Afteryule, 2940

The winter weather has meant that there has been little to do since the end of Yule, so most of the time I have been writing in my journal to get up to this point. Thorin and the dwarves who had been hunting the orcs had stopped at the farm to deal with my family's remains. It makes it sound so clinical when I write it that way. Unfortunately the orcs are still out there. Thorn had lost track of them in part due to the snow storm and the delay caused by burying my family. I am grateful to them for taking the time to do that.

I would like to go to the farm when the weather has improved, so see if there is anything salvageable and to see with my own eyes what Thorin and the dwarves did. I don't think that I could live there, though, even if the farm is habitable. Knowing what had happened there would make it impossible for me.

To be honest, I have no clue of what I am supposed to do now, if I am supposed to do anything. Dis has said that I can stay as long as I like. I guess after all the losses she has experienced in her life that she has some idea how I feel. Where will the strength come from to rebuild, if that is what I decide I want to do? I don't think I have it. A lot happened after I arrived in Ered Luin, especially Kili's injury and it did offer a distraction so that I didn't have to deal with the loss of the farm straight away, but since the Yule celebration, the loss of my family is all that has been on my mind. Just how does one recover from the ruins of their life?

Solmath would have been the month when the sheep had their lambs, but this year their won't be any. Of course, this pales in comparison to the loss of my family, but it deepens the loss. I am not looking forward to the coming year. I really don't know how I will get through it. These aren't admissions I would make to anyone and so I write them in this diary instead.

I do not think we have seen the last of the orcs.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, I like the dual entries. The tone of Kili's is so sweet and caring. It contrasts sharply with Hilda's natural continued grief and sense of "What next?" @};- =D= =D=

22. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    The next few entries are all from Kili's Journal. I decided to post them all together because they are short, and at the end, there's one of Hilda's.

Kili's Journal

21st Afteryule, 2940 - Early morning

I have started using the hobbit calendar in the journal because the dwarven calendar is difficult to calculate. Hilda tells me that today is the twenty-first day of Afteryule. I am finally recovered from the hunting accident. Hilda is beginning to worry me. Ever since the end of Yule, she has become more withdrawn and it is difficult convincing her to take her meals in the meadhall and she only goes out of the cottage now to see to Crowberry and the ponies. I can't always spend time with her now that I've recovered because Uncle Thorin needs me to help scout for signs of the orcs coming this way. I have spoken to Mam about it and she has asked Lyngheid and Lofnheid to spend time with her.

Of the two oldest daughters of Dwalin, Lyngheid takes after him the most. She would have been out with the orc hunting party had her father and mother let her. I told her about Hilda's wish to learn how to defend herself, knowing that she would welcome a sparing partner. However, I hoped more that it would give Hilda a reason to get out of the cottage.

This morning, I am due to go out on a patrol with Fili, Dwalin, Gloin, Gimli, Bild and Nori. Gloin had convinced Dwalin and Gloa that it was time that Gimli was given more responsibility.

Nori was coming with us so that we could keep him from causing more problems in the town. During the last month, he has been responsible for a fight at the Cabbage (the inn in town) with the men from the supply train over cheating at gambling, tool thefts from the mines Fili had sent him to work in to make up for his original tea-leafing, among other activities and these are the few things we know about. Dori was worried about the bad influence Nori was having on Ori.

21st Afteryule, 2940 - Midday

We stopped around midday though it was difficult to tell because the clouds obscured the sun. There has been no sign of orc activity so far. Perhaps they have moved on? It is a pity that they couldn't have moved on sooner.

21st Afteryule, 2940 - Evening

Night draws in quickly, even though we are past the winter solstice. Because there has been no sign of orcs, Dwalin has said that it is safe to make a fire. Nori is complaining that we could have stayed in an inn - personally, I think he's complaining because there is nothing of value for him to steal around here!

Fili and Gimli are amusing themselves by playing a game of Hnefetafl, using my board and pieces. Dwalin, Bild and Gloin are discussing where we will be going tomorrow while I am ~

(Scruffy spider scrawl across the page)

I managed to get my journal back from Nori. Fortunately, he didn't have chance to read it. I really wish he'd stayed back at Thorin's Gate. Can he read? I don't know. I don't want him to know what I have written about him and there are lots of mentions of Hilda. I'd better keep this out of Ori's clutches as well - I don't think he would appreciate my opinion of Nori. I'd better make sure this journal can't be taken in my sleep.

I miss Hilda's company.

22nd Afteryule, 2940 - Midday

Orcs attacked in the night. Bild and Gimli are wounded, so we are heading back to Thorin's Gate. I hope we can get back in time to warn them.

Between us, Fili and brought down a warg!

Nori scarpered during the attack and no one's seen him since. I genuinely hope that nothing bad happens to him, even though if it did, he would only have himself to blame.

Gloa is not going to be happy that Gimli has been hurt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hilda Greenhill's Diary

22nd Afteryule, 2940

The morning Dwalin's patrol left, Lyngheid approached me to ask if I wanted to learn how to use a sword. I suspect that Kili had told her about our conversation just before Yule. I said that I would and in the afternoon of the next day, Lyngheid and I met up to practice. We started with wooden swords, mainly because I had never handled a sword before. I was glad, because I found that it was heavy and I am quite clumsy as a result. Trotter had followed us and had laid down to watch.

We were joined by Lofnheid and Ori.

We had decided to take a short break when Trotter let out an excited bark and ran off down the incline. Lyngheid and I dropped our wooden swords and went after him, with Ori and Lofnheid close behind us.

After running for a few yards, we saw what had made Trotter so excited. It was the return of Dwalin and the patrol. Fili and Kili were helping an injured Bild and Dwalin and Gloin were helping Gimli between them.

Dwalin called to his younger daughter. "Lofnheid, run up to the mead hall and tell Thorin that we're back and we were attacked by orcs."

"Where's Nori?" Ori asked.

"We don't know, laddie," said Gloin. "We were unable to find him after the orcs attacked us."

Ori started walking towards the treeline.

"Where's tha off to?" Gloin asked.

Ori stopped and turned round. "I'm going to find Nori," he answered.

Dwalin nodded to Lyngheid.

"No, you aren't, Ori," she said.

"I'm sure Nori can look after himself," I said. I didn't like the idea of leaving Nori out there anymore than Ori did, but I didn't think it was wise for anyone to go out alone with orcs about.

Between us, Lyngheid, Dwalin and I persuaded Ori not to go out there, myself using logic, Lyngheid and Dwalin using more direct means. Fili and Kili didn't say anything throughout the exchange and I know what their response would have been if it had been either of them alone in the wilderness with orcs in the area.

We took Bild and Gimli to the cottage and it didn't take long for the cottage to be crammed with dwarves. What I find alarming is the closeness of the orcs to Thorin's Gate.

The following is an account as to what happened, as good as I can make it out:

The patrol had not seen any sign of orc activity all day and they had deemed it safe to set up a camp with a fire. The dwarves took it in turn to keep watch, with two of them on watch at a time. It was during Nori's and Bild's watch that the orcs attacked. Bild tried to fight an orc off, but was injured in the fight. She managed to warn Gimli and Gloin and they were able to warn the rest of the dwarves. Gimli was injured very early on in the attack and Fili and Kili gave an account of how they took down one of the wargs.

The orc pack, fortunately, wasn't that big and Dwalin put forward the idea that they were scouts for a larger group of orcs and wargs. After Fili and Kili had taken the warg down, the orcs broke off their attack.

A search was made for Nori, but no body was found and there was no indication that he had been injured. It is assumed that he took the opportunity of the orc attack to slip away. I don't know what to believe. I find it hard to fathom that he would desert the patrol, but can't discount it because of his deviant behaviour.

I saw Ori storm out of the cottage and I wondered if I should follow him, but I saw Lofnheid go out after him and figured she wouldn't allow him to do anything foolish. It is strange to be caught in the middle like this. I don't doubt the word of Fili and Kili and the others, but I don't like to see the effect Nori's behaviour has on Ori.

The rest of the dwarves are more concerned with the prospect of an attack on the town by orcs than on Nori's fate, and I can't really blame them.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent action. Glad Hilda's learning or starting to learn use of weaponry. The patrol handled the attack very well and came off better than it might have gone ... [face_thinking] I think Nori took the chance to disappear and live on the wild side a bit :p

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I liked the multiple entries at once - especially with the shorter ones. They had a great flow and feel to them. :) As for this one, I liked seeing HIlda use the sword, and the development with Nori was disquieting to read. I feel worse for Ori than I do for Nori if he took the chance to wander off - it's sad to see how is influence is affecting him. More worrying is the increase in Orc activity - never a good sign, and these days are getting dark . . . :(

Again, a wonderful few updates, Thank-you for sharing. =D=

25. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    I'm not sure what Nori's game is, other than the fact I don't think he wants to be in Ered Luin. We shall have to see what happens. This next entry was a difficult one to write, but I'm quite pleased with it. (It does go into Dungeons and Dragons territory a bit and I wanted to give Hilda something to do other than mopeing around the place and hanging out with Kili. I just hope it isn't too much.)

Kili's Journal

22nd Afteryule, 2940, Evening

It was too crowded at home as Uncle Thorin, Mam, Balin, Dwalin and others decided what to do about the orcs, so Fili, Hilda, and I headed over to the Cabbage. Ori and Lofnheid joined us. News of the orcs must have spread quickly because when we got there, the innkeeper, a human man named Baldric, was telling the patrons a strange tale of events that occurred in the time of one of his ancestors.

"There was a time when there was peace between the town and the orcs," Baldric was saying. "It was before their lot arrived." He pointed at us as we sat down at a table. "Stirring things up with Azog."

I was just about to say something, Ori stopped me. "This sounds interesting," he said.

"Oh aye, hobbit lass," Baldric said to Hilda. "If tha wants someone to blame for the ruin of your farm, it should be those whose company tha keeps."

"I know who to blame for my family's death, inn-keep," Hilda replied, clearly not liking what the innkeeper had to say. "And it isn't those who saved my life."

A man at the bar whom the innkeeper had been talking to when we came in said, "You might think differently when you hear Baldric has to say."

"Let's hear it, then," I said, turning to Fili, who looked like he was about to deck the innkeep. "It's probably cobswallop, anyway."

Now the innkeeper Baldric , son of Baldric, comes from a long line of Baldrics, (there really isn't a lot of creativity in his family line when it comes to names) all innkeepers at the Cabbage (as I've heard, anyway), except for the first innkeeper of the Cabbage, who had been a bloke called Eorl. Before setting up the inn, Eorl had been a turnip grower and dung collector (I imagine he used the dung for fertiliser, but being a dwarf, I really don't know much about farming - perhaps I could ask Hilda?) who had fallen on hard times. He attempted to grow a crop of cabbages instead, but it didn't work out and he tried his hand at innkeeping instead (I don't know how he managed to become in possession of an inn when he was broke, that part of the story has never been made clear). Hence why the inn is called the Cabbage.

The current Baldric still grows turnips, and occasionally attempts to grow cabbages and other vegetables with varying success. He doesn't keep up with the tradition of collecting dung, though (at least, not beyond what is necessary to grow vegetables) because you can't have an inn festooned with dung and expect that people would want to eat and drink there.

"It happened about two hundred to two hundred and fifty years ago."

"Well, meke thi mind up when it wer," said an aging human man, a retired local farmer. I've quite forgotten his name.

"I think I know the story," said an old human woman who was sat at a table in the corner by the window. A raven was perched on the table and she had a deck of tarot cards laid down on the table in front of her which she was arranging. "It would have been the year 2715, to my reckoning."

"What she said," said Baldric the barkeep.

I had a feeling that this was going to be an amusing story, even if it turned out to be a load of bunkum.

Fili caught the attention of the inn's serving wench and asked for mead. She fixed Hilda and Lofnheid with a glare, but went off to fetch some.

"The town wer being plagued wi' undead rats," said Baldric. "Set upon us by a foul necromancer."

"Ee, Baldric, ah think tha's bin sampling too much o' thi stock!" said the retired farmer.

I grinned at Fili. "What did I say? Cobswallp," I said.

"It's true," said Baldric. "Anyways, this necromancer wer causing trouble all round 'ere wi' his foul creations. Many folk from t' countryside kem 'ere fo' refuge an' t' town's mayor decided t' conscript militia t' deal wi' problem. He formed a group consisting o' a Gnome cleric, a human bard, an half-orc barbarian, an elf sorcerer, a human ranger and a human druid. T' druid had a pet wolf."

"An half-orc an' a gnome? This just gets better," quipped the retired farmer.

"Ah know. Meke's their story of a fire-breathing dragon look believable," said the man at the bar, pointing at us.

"Naw tell, mi, Baldric," said the retired farmer. "Wi' all these undead, wer there any mammies?"

"Now shut up, Breid," said Baldric. "And let me tell the story!"

"Alraight, Baldric," said Breid.

"One more word aught o' thee and tha barred!"

"Tha allus seys that, an' then forgets it."

"Ah mean it, this time!"

"Tha allus seys that, an' all!"

"Raight, that's it. Gerr out!"

"You know something, Fili? We should come here more often for the free entertainment," I said.

"Agreed," Fili said.

"What happened next?" asked the man by the bar.

"The Gnome's company stayed right 'ere at t' Cabbage. It has bin rebuilt, tha knows, due t' t' incident wi' t' tree wizard, an' t' giant badger."

"A tree wizard and giant badgers? C' mon, tha just mekeing this up, naw," said the man at the bar.

"It did happen," insisted the innkeeper. "At least, that's what mi grandfather told me, and his grandfather told him."

"Oh aye? Had he bin at t' mead anall when he tell thee?"

"Ah'll bar thee, if tha doesn't shut thi gob!" said Baldric.

"Naw that carn't bar everyone. Wer would tha get thi money from then?"

The innkeeper had nothing to counter that logic, so he continued with his tale.

"The Gnome's Company cleared aught an infestation o' string beasts, an' sorted aught a smuggling gang while thay were 'ere, but t' necromancer's creations wer causing more havoc aught in t' countryside. A band o' orcs started raiding settlements on t' outskirts o' town."

"Sounds familiar," said Fili.

"You don't think this necromancer could be stirring up trouble again, do you?" Ori asked. "It would explain things."

"T' mayor sent t' Gnome an' his company aught t' deal wi' t' orcs. Thay discovered that t' orcs had been driven aught o' their village by t' necromancer's creations an' t' druid convinced t' orcs that thay had a mutual enemy in t' necromancer an' offered t' help 'em reclaim their 'omeland if t' orcs helped 'em defeat t' necromancer. There wer peace round 'ere until t' dwarves showed kem. They stirred things up at Moria an' started a war."

Could it be that Uncle Thorin, Grandfather and Great-Grandfather are responsible for stirring up the orcs? The old woman got to her feet.

"You tell a good tale, innkeeper," she said. "And what you say is partially true." The raven, which had been perched on the window sill, hopped off and flew the short distance to land on the old woman's shoulder.

"How does tha know that?" asked the man at the bar.

"I am the druid from Nikabrik's company, though I have not seen him for years. I am Irieaga Stöngullvlfur. The orcs broke the peace long before the arrival of the dwarves from Erebor, though I doubt their war with the orcs improved the situation."

"You're the druid? You could help us Ered Luin from the orcs," said Fili to Irieaga.

The old woman regretfully shock her head. "It is not my place to interfere in the affairs of dwarves and orcs."

"You fought against the necromancer," I said. "Why is this any different?"

"The necromancer upset the natural balance. He was a threat to the natural world. I could not allow that to continue."

"What if you helped draw up a new peace between the town and the orcs? If it was done once, it could be done again," said Ori.

Both Fili and I looked at Ori as if he was mad.

Lofnheid spoke. "The king would never go for it."

"That is precisely why I do not interfere wit the affairs of dwarves, elves, men and orcs. They are forever posturing and fighting over politics and past wrongs done to each other, to such an extent that neither side can recall what they are fighting over any longer. In the end, who has the higher moral ground? None, for they have all committed atrocities of equal horror against the other."

"But peace would solve the problem," Ori pointed out.

"It would, if all sides wanted it, but unfortunately, none ever do."

The raven took to flight off the old woman's shoulder, landed on the table in front of Hilda and cawed at her. The a curious thing occurred. Trotter walked over to the old woman and sat down in front of her.

"Is he yours?" Irieaga asked Hilda, stroking Trotter's head as she spoke.

"Yes," Hilda replied.

"Come to my grove, when you are ready," Irieaga said, and she gave Hilda directions, after which she and the raven left.

As she was leaving, Baldric asked, "Got any string beasts for sale?"

Irieaga ignored him.

"Cracked old crone," said the man by the bar.

I did not really know what to make of the story. Was it true, or just a load of hogwash? I filed it away to ask Uncle Thorin and Mam about it.

23rd Afteryule, 2940 Early morning

It was almost midnight when we went back home. Ori escorted Lofnheid home. I am sure there's something going on between those two, but I have yet to confirm it. At the moment, it is just a suspicion. We came upon Mam and Uncle Thorin in the sitting room. Uncle Thorin was looking through some correspondence with the Jarls of the dwarf clans and Mam was reading a book. After asking how Bild and Gimli were doing, Fili brought up the subject of the druid woman.

"I know of her," said Uncle Thorin. "She comes to Balin's office at the library to complain when she finds hunting traps set out in the mountains and when we fell trees for building materials and fuel. What of it?"

I related the strange tale of the necromancer, the undead creatures and the peace with the orcs.

Uncle Thorin laughed. "Faerie tales," said Uncle Thorin, dismissively. "There will never be peace with orcs, Kili."

"Thorin, I don't think you should discount this so easily," Mam said, closing her book. "If there is a necromancer stirring the orcs up -"

"Where's the evidence, Dis?" Uncle Thorin interrupted her. "I've not seen any zombie vermin running around the place."

"So, you aren't even going to consider it a possibility?" Mam asked.

"No. The old woman's mind is addled," Uncle Thorin answered, looking at us. "And I thought you two would know better than to listen to tavern talk."

With that, Uncle Thorin left the sitting room.

I glanced at Mam.

"Mam, do you want me to find out if this tale is true?" Fili asked.

"It wouldn't hurt, Fili, thank you," Mam replied. "There has been enough dwarf blood spilt on account of war with the orcs. If more can be avoided, then that is a good thing. The difficulty will be getting your boar-headed Uncle to listen. Pride and arrogance is a terrible thing."

I had to agree. I sometimes wonder if Mam would have made a wiser ruler than my Uncle. Mam then said she had to check on Gimli and Bild.

"Will you visit the old woman?" I asked Hilda.

"It looks like I don't have a choice," Hilda replied.