main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Dec 18, 2007.

1. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Whoa dude, no reason to get heated up about it. We're all just having a discussion here.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Boys, calm down. :p

The Shire theme for sure will be back, as perhaps will Rivendell. I'd assume we'd get a very Moria-esque sound for the Lone Mountain and I think we'll get a new Fellowship Theme, for our pack of 14. For Mirkwood, I think it'll draw on some of the Rivendell and Lorien sounds, but will be different. As for the village of Dale, I'm excited to hear their own style/theme.

And I want Smaug to have an awesome theme. :D

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The 300 million budget he asked for for the Halo movie when he wasn't even directing it? His suing New Line for more LOTR profits? Twenty million dollar paycheck for King Kong?

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That is not proof of anything except how you love to judge the motives of people you don't even know.

5. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I have no knowledge of the Halo or King Kong money, but I think he was certainly justified in suing New Line. If they were stiffing him out of the money he and Wingnut Films were due under the terms of their contract, he had every right to sue them.

6. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Suing New Line after they took a make or break risk in him doesn't account for a huge ego? New Line Cinema deserves a lot of credit in investing in him. The budget they gave him could have driven them out of business had the film not been a hit.

And asking for a twenty million dollar paycheck for Kong to even direct the film when he considered it to be a dream project is egotistical beyond belief. Even the greatest directors have never recieved that much.

I think we need to agree to disagree here

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You have no idea what New Line did with the accounting. What if they really did try to screw him and others out of their rightful shares? Just because he was paid millions does not mean he got what he was contractually promised. You make the assumption that New Line did things one hundred percent on the up and up, yet look at how transparently the studios are trying to screw the writers RIGHT NOW. You want to assume Peter Jackson has some big ego because it makes you feel better or something. That doesn't change the fact that you have no clue what motivates him and you never will.

Don't you think it's odd that you love horror films to no end, and the recent directors who made the leap from small time horror film to big time Hollywood directors are all egotistical sellouts to you? You endlessly bash Peter Jackson, Sam Raimi and god knows who else. Sounds like the typical response when someone's small local independent band gets famous and sells millions of records. Clearly they sold out and have huge egos now, because they're no longer my little secret. So you sit there and judge the motivations of people making decisions that you know nothing about, yet you presume to know enough to judge them. It's not your place and it never will be.

Peter Jackson is a solid directing talent who deserves praise and deserves this opportunity to make the Hobbit films. I am sure he will work hard at making sure Howard Shore will return to score the films, as that is ultimately what this thread is about. Howard Shore, not Peter Jackson.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    As the person who started this thread, and as the moderator of this forum, I can certainly say that this thread is indeed about Peter Jackson, at least at this time when it has been announced that he is the producer and we haven't had any confirmation of who will be writing the score. That's the first topic of discussion in this thread.

I also think that the egos of celebrity artists are frequently at issue, especially in negotiating (financial and collaborative). Users have every right to question/discuss said egos and motivations.

9. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    You assume too much about me. Peter Jackson's skill as a filmmaker is different from his personality. I have vast respect for Jackson as a filmmaker but I don't have to assume he has a great personality in order to do that. I can never truly know what makes Peter Jackson tick and neither can you. We can only make assumptions and we don't know which one is wrong or right.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah the problem is that you make unfair assumptions about people.

11. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Is Peter Jackson a relative of yours or something? Why do you even give a damn what people think of him? I'm sure we all can agree he's got a lot of talent as a filmmaker, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether he's a saint or an egotistical bastard. None of us know for sure and who really gives a damn? All we can judge about him at this point is his artistic output and let's leave it at that.

As for Shore scoring The Hobbit, I think it's a safe bet he'll come back considering what Doug Adams said about the matter which I posted above.

12. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    And your making an unfair assumptions about me and I won't touch it anymore after that...

Well since Jackson isn't directing the project I'm not so sure if Shore will be the shoe in we expect him to be. Jackson may chose a director who has an established relationship with a composer.

13. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm sure we'll have the Ring theme, as well, and I'm curious to see what shore does for Tom Bombadil. The Shire theme will of course return, and I totally agree with the Smaug theme!

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Bombadil isn't in this one, IIRC. He's in FotR (though I haven't read The Hobbit in a while, so I may be wrong). Beorn is, though, if they include him (which I doubt they will).

Forgot about the Ring theme... good catch on that one. :)

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah you are thinking of Beorn.

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    No no no no no no no. No. No other composer can score this. Middle-earth is Howard's only.

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Although, maybe they can just call the second movie Lord of the Rings: Appendices and present a feature length series of shorts subjects. They could get the actors back and film the Bombadil and Scouring of the Shire segments (though the Scouring wouldn't fit with the EE's fate of Saruman...).

Not gonna happen, I know, but what if...?

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Funny fact about the Scouring of the Shire.

I went to Matamata, New Zealand in 2005 and took a tour of Hobbiton. The lady giving the tour was one of the onset people during filming. She didn't say it flat outright, but she pointed out some things and said "They installed real ones instead of fakes ones for stunts. You know, in case they ever needed to film... fighting or anything." My friend and I caught her meaning, and tried to ask her if that meant they actually filmed it, but she just winked and went on talking about something else.

So they probably were planning on filming it, if they actually didn't.. but then it got snipped. :(

/end story.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well they did have to shoot the scenes in the Mirror of Galadriel where you see the brief glimpses of Hobbiton in flames. Perhaps they shot some of that practically at the site in Matamata. What I am wondering is, will they go back there and rebuild Hobbiton and Bag End exactly as it was? They will need to shoot a good deal of stuff for the Hobbit there, so I would assume they will have to build the location out again and let it grow for a year again.

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Truthfully, it's still half built. They wouldn't have to do very much to rebuild it. (They'd have to get a new tree, though, since they took it down).

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    True, the major earthmoving and planning is done. They'd need to do all the minor cosmetic stuff like planting the greenery again. The tree over Bag End was fake though I think.

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It was a dead tree with a billion fake leaves that they imported from like Thailand or something. (Parts of the tree are sitting atop Bag End).

I wonder if they're going to go steal his neighbor's hedges again. [face_laugh]

23. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Oh my, I can't wait! Personally, [bookwise] I thought The Hobbit was better than either FotR and tTT, although it measured up pretty well to RotK.

I really hope we get a neat-o theme for Beorn, because he was one of my favorite characters. And Howard Shore better come back for this film... the only one I can think of that I might like in his place would be James Newton Howard, Shore does a better job, imo.

24. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I'm sure many of you have heard since it was announced a few days ago, but Guillermo del Toro has officially been signed to direct The Hobbit.

My first pick would of course be Jackson, but I think De Toro is an excellent choice and I'm wholeheartedly glad thay didn't go with Rami.

25. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Please not Beltrami, please not Beltrami, please not Beltrami...