main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics The Holiday Special - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Exar_Xan, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    He could make it less hateable.

The empire could land, wookies ripping stormtroopers arms out, Luke slicing them up with a saber (as we never see it in the film) it would be great!

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    With a CGI Mark Hamill I suppose [face_plain]

3. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    While I understand board policies about posting links to "bootleg" or "illegal" material...

This is a thread devoted to a TV special which was aired once, nearly twenty-six years ago. A large number of members were either not yet born or too young to remember much about it. And even those who were adults at the time it aired are unlikely to remember much of it in any detail. The only way to watch the HS is to watch an "illegal" or "bootleg" version.

Just seems kind of ... well, silly to me. Having a thread like this is just begging for people to ask about or share where they can get a copy.

4. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    ^^^^
    useing something like MSN to talk about bootlegs!

Im sure that somewhere in deleted scenes, other footage or even a CG mark you could pull it together. Even if Luke wasnt there but a wook of the thoughest wookies went down pulled the empire apart it would be cool. Im even sure that some people somewhere have wookie costumes and the 501st could pull this of!

5. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    On another point.
    George Lucas always expresses his hate for the HS, but he refers to it all the time! Like he refers to Boba Fetts first apperance in Bucket Head, or when talking about Kayyshak in the latest homing becon! Pictures are prinited in the latest insider! George does think og the Holiday Special has a piece of Star Wars, even if it is one he ´hates´

6. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I am very critical of Lucas not releasing Epidoes 4,5,and 6 in the original versions, but I can't blame him for wanting to destroy the Holiday Special. It is unique in its' sheer badness.
    The most plausible explanation for this nonsense is that Lucas wanted something to keep "Star Wars" and it's charecters fresh in the public's mind in the gap between ANH and ESB, and this special seemed the best way to do it. At the time Lucas had no way of telling how long lived the interest in Star Wars would last, and probably wanted to take any chance he could to keep it alive until the new movie came out. After ESB he knew SW had staying power and did not have to resort to gimmicks like the Holiday special to keep SW alive.
    Bea Arthur is more evil in this special then Palpatine could hope to be....

7. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    In veiw in what I have read in a few magazines celibrating the realse of the trilogy DVD I have come to a new opinion. The Star Wars Holiday Special is more Orginal star wars than any of the movies. George's Orginal vision for star wars had lots of wookies, child ones, old ones, wariors and more. Ewoks were created to show a bit of this, and for the final instalment we are going to see wookies! (not a spoiler as its seen in the insider) Georges Vision is shown through the holiday special, wookies and their fun adventures.

8. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I hope you were being sarcastic about the Holiday special being Lucas's vision. If that is Lucas' original vision for Star Wars, thank The Force that he changed it.
    And if it really was Lucas's vision, why the heck would he badmouth the special every time it is shown?

9. angelharp42

angelharp42 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    I have a very old copy of THS, and my son watches it almost every day, as often as he watches ESB. Thus, so do I. My son is 3. He loves wookies. He loves Bea Arthur. He loves Harvey Korman. He may even love Jefferson Starship. It has been my husband's intent, from before the littleun was even born, to create the purest SW fan ever. One who feels it deep in his bones, for whom lightsabers are as much a part of life as breathing. So far, it seems to be working. If subjecting me to THS on a near-daily basis comes with it, so be it. We have the OT THX, OT SE, and OT DVD's. Our child watches the different versions of IV, V, and VI at random, as the mood strikes. We also have dvd's of Ewoks, and Droids, but after ESB, THS is his favorite. Commercials and all. Incidentally, due to news broadcasts, my toddler thinks that the Russians are in possession of the neutron bomb. You know, "the bomb that kills people but leaves buildings intact." Kinda like THS.

TheSithWriter likes this.
  10. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    ...:_| That's beautiful! Good for you! REALLY! You're doing a fine job, keep up the good work!

Note to others: See? A pure, unsullied child doesn't care if Mark's wearing make-up and Carrie can't seem to focus on anything! This is a love of Star Wars in it's purest form. I only hope that if/when I have kids, I can raise mine the same :)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I'm serious.

Ridley Solo and TheSithWriter like this.
  11. QuiGonJim42

QuiGonJim42 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    If you are really going to raise your child this way, I offer a few pieces of advice:

a) Start buying now. Toys, minis, lightsabers, videos, etc. These things can get kinda expensive and hard to find later, even on e-bay. I bought QuiGonJin's lightsaber for my son 11 months before he was conceived.

b) Marry someone as crazy as yourself. Anyone but Angelharp would have divorced me by now, but her parents were SW fanatics in the 70's and turned her early. As a result, she has 5 other available SW fanatic sisters just waiting for the right geek.

c) You must start early. We started at age 1. 5 or 6 is too old to begin their training. Disney, Pixar, etc., could have ruined them by that time. (When he got the large robotic R2-D2 he would not play with him for the first few months. Thought he would steal all his toys. They are great friends now.)

As for THS not having subtitles for Chewie's family, the best way to learn a foreign language is immersion. The boy does a startling Wookiee growl.

12. Newbie_wan_Kenobi

Newbie_wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    what would a prequel holiday special look like?
    Jar Jars family on Naboo, chillin to the music of bob marley?

13. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Found this on ebay real or not dont know

14. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    If it's the Holiday Special on home video, it's fake.

15. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Not 'real' as in 'legitimate, retail-released product', no. It's as real as you're going to get though, if you catch my drift.

I think that link will be removed though [face_whistling]

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    *Bookmarks link* :) nice one mate.

17. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    LOL! some cheap plastic and a DVD labeler kit and this guy thinks he's king!

Also, Angelharp42 you rule! Thank you for helping the future!

18. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    I have a copy of this on vcd. It is fun to watch regardless of how bad it is.

TheSithWriter likes this.
  19. DeltaVX

DeltaVX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    By chance, would the 1978 Star Wars holiday special able to be on DVD? If not, will it ever? I ask because I've only seen an eight second clip of it on the ATOC DVD extras, and I want to see the rest.

20. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Not Legal. But its out thEre if you want it BAd enough to look for it Yourself

21. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Although I certainly wouldn't pay for it, myself.
    Hell, no. [face_tired]

The HS is like smoking. It's bad. You tell kids it's bad but they're going to try it anyway. The only difference is that the HS won't kill you.

Well, maybe not straight away...

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

22. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Lucas hated the Holiday special. He keeps the only copy of it locked up. And he's even said that if he had time and a hammer, then he would find and destroy every other copy he could find.

He's not going to release it.

23. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    Holiday Special = Never. Ever. Going. To. Be. Released. On. DVD.

'Nuff said

24. Feezior

Feezior Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    yeah, you'll have to hunt down a torrent or sumthing

25. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Listen, please do not watch it, becuase it is horrendous.