main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Resources ~The Holocron~ - Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, May 17, 2015.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    This resource thread is for anyone to ask their questions to the community. If you are unsure about something or want to know about different tools, mediums and techniques or anything else in between.

2. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Can anyone recommend any free software for creating anime like art?
    Or techniques to use on programs like paint or paint.net ?
    More specifically I'd like to know about shading and shadows.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

I do not know of any programs for specifically anime styled art, I think it comes down to your own techniques though I have heard of chibi and avatar generators though that uses preexisting assets that others have created.

Shadows and shading in paint? Because there is no control over the opacity of the brushes, you would have to rely more on gradually changing the tone of the colour to darker. Kinda like the pixel art for the sprites for the classic SNES games and such.

4. Darth_Numanus

Darth_Numanus Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Hi,

Back when the prequels were coming out there used to be sites where you can find galleries of photo shoots of the cast in costume against plain back grounds.

Do any such sites exist for TFA or Rogue One?

I'm looking for photos like this: click here

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

5. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I'm trying to buy a drawing monitor to do my art on, but don't have a ton of money. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by a drawing monitor...
    Is it more of a display that you use a stylus to draw on like the Wacom Cintiq?
    Or more of a tablet that translates your strokes onto the screen like the Wacom Intuos?

There are alternatives such as tablet/mobile devices like the iPad and the Surface Pro which has drawing apps on there like Procreate

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    teamhansolo likes this.
  7. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    A drawing monitor is like the Wacom Cintiq, It's like a screen you draw on, that connects to the computer. The problem with getting drawing apps on a device instead, is that,
    1. I don't have a big enough device, and 2. I don't know of any good styluses. Do you know what I am talking about now?

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I do, thank you and I hope that some of this is helpful. It is tricky to find a tablet monitor for the computer that is affordable… The XP-Pen and Huion seems to come up quite a bit as great alternatives to the Cintiq according several reviews and buyers guides like this and this.

With the Styluses, there are two types: Passive and Active. Passive has no active electronics and works as though using a finger on a touch screen. Active ones can connect to specific devices (Apple Pencil, Adonit, etc) to additional functions and refiner drawing pressure sensitivity and so forth. Depends on the type of device, there should be a compatible active stylus for it… however, as you mentioned, the screen size is not big enough for your purposes.

teamhansolo likes this.
  9. JackMaa2

JackMaa2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2020
    Yes, you can check honest review and buying guide 2020. With new and advanced features helps you to find the best drawing tablet for your personal and professional use

10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Is it okay to ask around if anyone knows about SW fan art about a certain ship you are fond of but you don't want to wade through images of said character with a love interest of the same gender?

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I don’t quite understand the question.
    Are you looking for a means to search for specific art of a character / vehicle?
    Or to ask for art to be made of a specific character / vehicle?
    If the latter, we do have a request thread here