The Hothlanta Rebels Official Gab Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta, GA' started by Minacia_Brightstar, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I thought that it would be nice if we had a thread in which we could talk about whatever we want, serious or silly.

So, come on in here and talk about anything you wish. Rant about work. Share the small triumphs of your life. Tell us anything you wish (Within reason, of course. There are some things we don't need to know. :p )

2. insane ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi Mandy!

I?m surprised that nobody has responded to this thread. I visit here from time to time to see what is up in the SW universe, and to see what is new with this group. I haven?t been to a meeting in sometime, but hope to get to one soon.

I guess I just need to comment on this war in Iraq. I am in total support of our president and our troops. I feel a little guilty because I was actually looking forward to the start of this war. I was thinking back to the 1991 Gulf War, where it was almost like a video game. All the videos of bombs striking and such, it was so in personable and unreal. And then when I watched CNN over this past weekend. Dead Americans. POW?s. Families talking about their dead brothers and how proud of them they are. It is so sad and tragic.

I was also amazed that movie makers and movie stars think that their celebrity status makes them sudden ?experts? on any and all subjects they seem to concern themselves with. Michael Moore, in my opinion, is an idiot.

Anyhow, guess I just needed to vent a little. This war makes me think about a quote from a famous American.

"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it."
    -- Robert Edward Lee (1807-70), American Confederate general in the Civil War
  3. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Hey there, IE! :)

While I wasn't looking forward to the war, I do feel that something needs to be done about Saddam Hussein. I just hope that the coming battles with his elite Republican Guard are decisively won by our troops. Experts believe that if we can defeat those elite guard quickly and totally, then the war will be very short.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of the coalition troops and their families.

4. insane ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    I also agree that Saddam Hussein needs to be dealt with, and I also agree the Republican Guard is the key. Some harsh fighting is on the way. This should have been done twelve years ago, but the UN mandate at the time only authorized Iraqi removal from Kuwait and Bush Sr. held to that.

It is also upsetting to hear all the anti Americanism that is taking place in the world. While I agree that our administration comes across as both arrogant and unsympathetic to world opinions, what is occurring now is unwarranted (IMHO). The United States has done more, and sacrificed more, than any other country in the world to help others. Appeasing Saddam was not the answer, and as Tony Blair, our most trusted ally in this cause so eloquently put it ?The rest of the world does not appreciate nor understand the United States' preoccupation with the events of 9/11?. (Not verbatim)

God bless our troops and God bless the USA.

I.E.
  5. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, count me in on the "don't think the war was a good idea" end of things.

That doesn't mean to say that I don't support our troops. And I hope that, since we've gone ahead and done this, we can solve the problem, once and for all.

I just think it was a silly move, given our fight against terrorism and the lack of support from the UN. We have enough on our plates, right now, without creating problems on other fronts.

As for the anti-Americanism? I was just over in Europe. They see and recognize what we've done in the world. It's just hard for them to believe that an ex-oilman isn't doing this for other reasons. And when the United Nations said no, we kept going anyway? It makes us seem like bullies who only back other nations when they agree with us. Tends to cause a bit of resentment.

And celebs? I think they're helping to affirm our democracy, quite honestly. To paraphrase the speech from "An American President," democracy isn't easy. It demands we let others speak when they're saying things that make our blood boil. And it's nice to see it in action.

Now, Michael Moore's approach? I think he came across like an idiot, too. [face_laugh]

On to happier topics. I just got a new 'puter! I'm about to embark upon the world of DSL. FINALLY!
  6. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I just got a new 'puter! I'm about to embark upon the world of DSL. FINALLY!

WooHoo! Welcome to the 21st century! :p

I love DSL. There have been a few times that I have had to use a dial-up connection since we installed the DSL, and I have to say that I no longer have the patience for a 56K modem. You'll get spoiled very quickly.

Oh, we also installed a wireless network system. So, I can now surf the web from my laptop, even if someone else is online on the desktop computer. Let me tell you, it is great to be able to surf the web from the comfort of your couch. ;)
  7. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ooo...that sounds lovely!

I think I'll just start with getting the DSL side of things settled. But sitting on the couch and surfing at DSL speeds sounds really nifty!

Since my new 'puter has WindowsXP, I had to name my computer. So I called it Artoo. It's kind nifty!
  8. insane ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    Taking actions outside the United Nations is not unprecedented. We ?liberated? the people of Kosovo under the flag of NATO. The French and Germans had no problem with that. I?m guessing it was because they had no business interests there. As far as Bush being an ex-oil man, he also once owned the Texas Rangers Baseball Team. I fail to see your point (I say facetiously).

Anyway. Congrats on the computer, Paula. I have been spoiled by a cable modem for the few past years. I?m not sure it?s worth the price, but it is certainly cool! Windows XP has its share of critics. I kept my copy for about a week and then back to Win98, eventually going to Win2000.

Mandy, be very careful about the wireless Internet. As I understand it, the security for that type of connection is very much less than 100%. Very easy to steal confindential data.

Hopefully, I will see you fine folks in April.

Insane Ewok out.

G.B.T.U.S.A.
  9. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    WindowsXP certainly is quirky, to say the least. But it's what we're using at work (against the wishes of our IT staff), so it'll make it easier to work at home.

My big problem is getting a Works database with all my SW collectibles on it converted to Access. It won't bring in the date field.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have 2,619 entries in it. I dread having to go type those back in! There must be a way!
  10. insane ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not sure why the OS you are running would have any impact of the programs you are using. Here at work, we run W98se and W2000 and we share files and run the same programs on all the machines here. Our server and several laptops run W2000 and most of the desktops run W98se. We use MS Office Professional and we have not experienced any compatibility problems. I can't imagine you would.

I.E.

G.B.T.U.S.A.
  11. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I hope you get your database problem worked out, Paula. I'm pretty good with office applications, but I will admit to being less-than-knowledgeable about converting database files.

My wireless internet has a built-in firewall. I don't know how good it is, but it claims to offer some extra measure of security. We also have several passwords in place so that someone can't just "piggyback" onto our internet service. Again, I don't know how effective it is, but it is better than nothing.

12. Darth Dowe Jedi Master

star 4
    So I know you guys have Vader for the Vader World Tour. I've created an Atlanta page (just click on the red atlanta link, or click on Atlanta on the map). Besides the disposable camera photos, if you guys could bring a digital camera and take more pics that would be great. Then I could add them to your page on the VWT site.

Email the pics to: tony@bostonrebels.net

Thanks for participating in the VWT!
    Where are you guys going to take your picture with the Dark Lord? :)
  13. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    We've had quite the discussion about where we'll take our official picture, but I suspect the Dark Lord is going to end up getting quite the tour of Atlanta!

His first stop will be at our Springtime Charity Putt-Putt game, this weekend. I'm sure the Klingons will be quite amused by him!
  14. Darth Dowe Jedi Master

star 4
    You can really take him anywhere, and take a bunch of pics with a digital camera. We took him to the Longfellow Bridge and the Hatchshell in Boston, mainly because they are within walking distance to each other! ;)

For example, look at DC: they took Vader to 3 different monuments in the city.

Have fun! :)
  15. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Thanks, Dowe!

I'm sure we'll have plenty of uhm...interesting photo opportunities this weekend at the Putt-Putt challenge. ;)
  16. Technoviper Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think that I will post a joke from time to time here. I encourage others to do the same.

What happens when a pig pen breaks?

He has to use a pig pencil.

*LOL*

I got a million of 'em...
  17. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Why does it scare me that you have a million of 'em?

For those in the Atlanta area (since they don't broadcast on the web, yet), our very own "Other Carol" will be featured on the "Almost Famous" show on Z93 (92.9). It'll be at 3pm, today.

From what I hear, she's making an interesting selection of music. Should be fun!
  18. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings from Memphis!! I'm Steve...just thought I'd drop by. Mandy pops in our "Rendezvous" thread from time to time...so, I thought I'd return the favor. Nice meetin' ya'll!!
  19. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
  20. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll drop in too...hey everyone in Atlanta! :D

God bless!

-Malz
  21. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wow. Visitors! We'll have to wear our nice Jedi robes, now. ;-)

Welcome to the Atlanta board!
  22. padme1967 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Howdy everyone :)
    I was breaking in my new laptop and thought I would stop in.

Speaking of the war,
    Did anyone else think about the end of ROTJ special edition when they saw the video of Saddam's statue coming down?

Speaking of bad jokes,
    Two guys walk into a bar...........

third guy ducks.

23. dixie_chicken Jedi Padawan

Hey Everybody!

This is "OC" just checking in. Being on the radio Wednesday was just a blast. They only played about 6 of my songs but that's o.k. I had picked out 12 and I guess they chose the ones easiest to find. This is my play list:

Dixie Chichen - Little Feet**
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2**
    Rock Lobster - B52s**
    Baby Love - Mother's Finest
    Pencil Thin Mustache - Jimmy Buffett
    Roundabout - Yes
    Bitch - Rolling Stones**
    White Buffalo - Ted Nugent
    Free Fallin' - Tom Petty**
    London Calling - The Clash
    Battleship Chains - GA Sattelites
    Doraville - Atlanta Rhythm Section**

**is what made it on the radio

Kaedy Kyle grew up in Atlanta and has been in radio for almost 25 years, a comfortable presense for the afternoon drivetime. It is a fast paced world behind the glass of the z93 studio and they made you feel very welcome. I got a neat goodie-bag with a Braves hat, 2 travel coffee mugs, 2 plastic cups, Bruce Springsteen cd "The Rising", a t-shirt and hat with the "America Undercover" logo from HBO,and 2 Z93 retractable ball point pens. A pretty good haul for an hour's work in radio.

I've got the tape of the music breaks that I'll bring to the next gathering. The overall experience was great. It's the adrenaline rush without the risk of death.

WOO WHOO

Other Carol aka Dixie Chicken
  24. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    dixie_chicken: Sounds like you had a great time on the radio. I don't have 25 years under my belt like this Kaedy Kyle, but I have been in radio for 14 years. They only pay me in McDonald's coupons...so, yeah...you did rack up pretty good.

Well, just dropped by to say, "hey"...now I'm heading back to Memphis.
  25. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    To quote Mandy in a totally different social thread in a totally different city..."Only I could kill a social thread."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.