main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hothlanta Rebels Official Gab Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Minacia_Brightstar, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    If you've never been to the Fox, it's a fun all-around experience. They have a sing-a-long with the big "mighty Mo" organ, and cartoons, and everything. And the theatre itself is beautiful... a real movie palace!

2. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I've been to The Fox several times for stage shows of various types. I've just never been there for a movie. I'm looking forward to it!

3. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Is it just me or is this rotting carcass of a social thread starting to stink?

4. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Just returned from "Lawrence of Arabia"... MY GOD was it spectacular! I have always loved that movie, but seeing it as it was intended to be seen... swept me completely away!

But every time I saw Alec Guiness, of course, I kept expecting him to give Peter O'Toole Jedi wisdom... :p

5. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Okay...even though most of us already own the DVD and have watched it countless times...who all watch AOTC on HBO Saturday night?

*raises hand*

6. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    You know, I haven't watched HBO in ages. I'm not even sure if we still have it (we changed our cable package a few months ago)

I suppose I had better find out. ;)

7. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    WooHoo! :D I will! Oh crap! My Mom's the one with HBO and she's going to VA this weekend! :_|

Hey, I've got a question...do y'all have a member list anywhere? ?[face_plain]

8. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    We have never compiled a public member listing, as there are quite a few of us. We may eventually have on on our website, but we would have to get the approval of the membership first. :)

9. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Ok, cool :D

My Dad and stepmom are going to a wedding in Atlanta this Saturday and I was thinking of trying to convince them to let us go so we can go to y'all's meeting! :D Don't know if it'll work, but hey, it's worth a try! :D

God bless!

-Malz

10. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    You are all more than welcome to join us. If you need information about when and where the meeting is, let me know. :)

11. Darth_Javere

Darth_Javere Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2002
    hiyo

im bored

theres nothing to do around here

12. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    *...slowly walks into town...looking around at the boarded up windows and doors. A tumbleweed rolls down the dry dirt street...followed closely by another. The only sound in this ghost town of a social thread, are the clinking of my spurs as I walk. Wait...what's this? I bend down and find one, then two, then three...sprinkles? Where did these come from? They must've wandered off from the sprinkle herd in that other dead thread. C'mon little fellers...we'll getcha back with the others. But the question is...where are the others?*

13. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    [face_laugh]

We're around, we're just busy gearing up for Dragon*Con. :)

I do hope some of the Memphis folks will be coming down for the con.

14. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    *opens door...walks in...sits coffee down on table and pulls out bullhorn*

GOOD MORNING!!!

*waits for echo*

15. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    *He runs to escape the insults and verbal assaults, but they're everywhere, hitting him from all directions. Why did they hate him so? He merely wanted to interact and have fun. Maybe make some friends. He never intended to harm anyone, or anything. Yet, the fingers were still being pointed at him as they all screamed the same two words that stabbed at his heart...THREAD KILLER...THREAD KILLER!!*

16. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

No, my friend. I'm the ultimate thread killer, and I wear that title with pride. :p

17. Erelannon

Erelannon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2003
    You can have the title "Thread Killer", Ms. Brightstar, although I have killed a few already during a very brief life over on the Star Wars Forums.

It's a dubious honor to be sure, and hopefully this post won't force me to relieve you of that title.

Anyway... I'd like to revive the topic that was begun here with post #2. My opinion of the Iraq War is pretty contradictory. I believe ousting Saddam to have been 12 years overdue. I am the son of a career Marine Corps officer. I was in the Air Force ROTC. I believe that most (if not nearly all) members of the military are bold, courageous, humble, honorable, and good human beings. I support our military completely.

However, the *way* we have gone about the Iraq War smacks of arrogance, conceit, and diplomatic failure of a scale never before seen in the history of this country. (Perhaps the Vietnam debacle is the exception; I wasn't around to gauge world opinion of that war.)

By which I mean, we have a swaggering cowboy for a President who wields power arrogantly and loudly, offending all the civilized citizens of the world, thus ensuring we would become mired in a unilateral war of attrition much like Vietnam. The men who run this country, Georgie, Dickie, and Rummy, (oh, and Karl Rove) are evil, political, and deviously vile.

I firmly believe that the handling of the military, as well as the handling of the economy, is a fumbled, scuffed, stepped on, mishandled, total mess. Vote Democrat in '04!

Oh. I voted for Bush in '00, and take my share of responsibility for his ineptitude. I really wanted John McCain. Can you imagine how differently (i.e., well!) a *decorated, veteran POW* would have handled Iraq? It would have been a glorious, multi-lateral success. Far different from the partial, semi-effectual "victory" marred by guerilla reprisals from Saddam loyalists staining reality.

Mark me as:
    Proud to be a red-blooded patriotic American ... But ashamed to have helped elect Bush!

18. Erelannon

Jun 29, 2003
    AND... to ameliorate the perception I'm some sort of whacked pinko liberal ....

Something else to discuss :)

I am a fervent passionate believer in Netflix (www.netflix.com). I've been a member about four months now, and basically don't really go to the movies anymore. I make them come to me on DVD and watch 'em at home. Then I watch all the DVD "extras" you get - like deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes, photo galleries, etc. I love that extra stuff!

How about you? Do you do Netflix? How many do you have in your queue, if you do? Tell us what your first four movies are and why.
    If you don't do Netflix, then what four movies *would* you pick that are out on DVD now?

19. Erelannon

Jun 29, 2003
    OK ... my first four:

1. The Professional - why? Self-explanatory here...:
    Natalie Portman (as a very young 12yr old) becomes the unwilling ward of a professional assassin (played by Jean Reno - an actor I also like).

2. Iron Monkey - why? Evidently a very cool kung-fu movie well liked by afficionados of that type of cinema. I'm usually not interested; this one though is a recut/reedit under direction of Quentin Tarantino. Evidently a better movie as a result, and I like Quentin T's work (Pulp Fiction, anyone?)

3. The Long Riders - why? Because both of the Keach brothers, two of the Carradine brothers, and both of the Quaid brothers star in it. It's also a western (it's about the Jesse James/Cole Younger gang) *about* brothers, and I like westerns anyway.

4. Enigma - why? Two words: "Kate Winslet." Nuff Said [face_love] !!

Y'all take care ... who's gonna be next?!

20. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I tend to steer clear of political discussions here. Why? Well, sometimes I agree with the right, and sometimes I agree with the left. But, most of the time, I don't agree with either. I end up confusing the heck out of everyone. ;)

But, I will say that Saddam needed to be ousted. It was long overdue.

About Netflix: I have been thinking about trying it. However, I don't rent DVD's that often. If it is something that I really want to see, I typically just go out and buy the DVD. It's more expensive, but that is just what I have always done, especially since Blockbuster made me angry when they charged me a late fee for a movie I returned early.

But since I have been hearing good things about Netflix, I might give it a go.

21. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    It is never smart to make Minacia angry! [face_devil]

22. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    No sprinkles for Blockbuster!!!!!

23. Erelannon

Jun 29, 2003
    Well, hey, then ...

Although I didn't kill the thread, I guess the posts I wrote just didn't have that Minacia Brightstar *sprinkly sparkle*

(get it?)

<ducking the flying debris tossed at me>
    [face_devil]

24. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Yeah...political discussions just never quite go well, but I think I liked the t-shirt idea we came up with at the picnic. I might submit it as a group effort for the contest.

[Note to Club Members: The T-Shirt Contest designs are due by the meeting this Saturday.]

As for NetFlix? I haven't tried it, yet. But I like the movie theater experience. And then I like deciding which DVDs I want to own. I think it's a lot of the same reasoning I have behind libraries, too. I just like to own things. Must be the collector in me.

25. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    *calls 911*

We need to start resuscitation on this thread!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.