main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The "Hugo and Nebula" Lounge social thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    *lands in thread* Oh good a respite from all the gray on the other boards.

To tell the truth I haven't had time to read at the moment. Maybe with having had to quit my job today I'll have time inbetween job hunting.

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I've got family in Oregon! [face_dancing] I've never been but the rest of my family says it's very pretty :)

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What do you think of splitting books?

I fumed that Storm of Swords was two books of 600 pagers, costing me two paperbacks. And yet a 900 Erikson pager is a single book.

Now, I've realised it was worth it. Clash of King's font was so microscopic it wasn't funny, and outright harmful to the eyes. Storm of Swords was very good font.

I hear European or Japanese editions of books can have more multiplicity in books. What do people think of book divisions in general?

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Storm of Swords and Lord of the Rings are actually the only ones I've encountered that are split. And for anything over Gardens of the Moon length, I'd rather have it in standard size font.

5. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I don't mind books being split up if it's at a point in the story that justifies it. It's got to be at a point where a major plot ends and the next one hasn't really been visited too much.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree, though I'm not really sure why an author would splitr a book instead of just writing a sequel.

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

More $$ of course. ;)

I'm thinking of buying The Risen Empire. It's a duology, and people are saying it should have been one book. Some places are selling a special omnibus edition, and I got the feeling others may do so too, so I'll wait a few months and see what eventuates.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Never heard of it.

I got an award from my school that's given every year to someone who reads a lot. $100 to Borders :D [face_dancing]

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

How do they know you really read it all? o_O :p

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Because I'm part of two book clubs, and I bring a book to class every day . . . I suppose I could be pretending, but that's unlikely given the evidence :p

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Mmmmm . . . fair enough, I guess. [face_thinking]

12. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Technically I'm getting paid to read at work... [face_mischief] As long as no orders or returns need to be done or customers served, I can just stand around reading books or Amazon reviews and claim it's "research" to improve my section knowledge. :)

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Bookseller, eh? I bet you've always accoladed a book when asked by a customer how good it is. Admit it! I have that same problem at functions. Is the Drunken Barramundi a good entree? Sure! What I want to say, is the damn thing's so fine it disintergates before you fork it to the mouth. [face_laugh]

14. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    Good grief, if I told customers how attrocious some of the books they ask about really are, I'd be out of a job! How the hell should I know if the new Jilly Cooper is any good, just take Deception Point and begone!

I also enjoy recommending books that I've never read. I'll admit I struggle not to giggle when selling erotica to middle-aged men and spellbooks to teenage girls, but apart from that I'm very good at keeping a straight face.

15. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    My sister works at barnes and noble and her favorite thing to do is read allll the popular young adult novels. Apparently that's what she gets the most questions about, when there are paretns trying to buy for kids.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Everyone here is sadly unsocial . . .

I just got done with my first exam [face_dancing] I'm counting the hours until they're all over . . . 70 left. Of course, am I studying for tomorrow's? No, I'm online 8-}

I wish I worked at a bookstore, or even a library. Sadly, I can't legally work for another . . . *counts* exactly two weeks, actually. But I babysit, which is fun :)

17. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    So it would seem :( I guess SFF:Books just isn't a forum where people like to chit chat a whole lot.

I'm now done with my semester but now that I don't have anything to do I feel all out of sorts. I feel like I should be writing a report or doing something with my free time. For some terrible reason I feel all guilty for not having anything to do :(

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, not like TV & Flims . . .

Don't feel guilty, feel happy :) And if you need something to do . . . the beta index in fanfic is looking for betas, you can always sign up for that.

19. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Me? A beta? Er.... I'd rather not have some furious authors ater my head for proofreading their fics wrong :p

20. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Seriously :p

Siiiigh, my "summer" only has 12 days left... then I start work and for the rest of my life it will be work work work work work.

21. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Bummer Tracy :(

How about I have the evil kitties attack the ones giving you a hard time? :D

[image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/zebra3sicons/kittydance2im.gif]

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sucks, droideka :( [:D] I want to teach, so I'll be getting a summer break for the rest of my life.

Awesome kitty, Zebra!! [face_laugh] Okay, if you don't want to beta, how about volunteering for the awards? We're looking for hosts for the three Sagas, and then we'll need people to count votes, as well as provide entertainment for the ceremonies. Any of those requires time and effort, but if you've got nothing to do then you would be perfect :)

And if you like Harry Potter, try the House Cup game hosted by Mara-Jade-Skywalker in Census. Game 13 is ending Saturday, but there's always a summer game and Slytherin House would love to have you aboard :D

23. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    I'm avoiding Lit until the Betrayal ruckus dies down because I don't trust myself around all that highlighted text and I'm pretty sure I would've enjoyed Dark Nest more if I hadn't been so thoroughly spoiled. :(

I agree that this isn't one of the busiest forums or thread, but the silver lining is that you get a higher calibre of post... :)

This is the first time in 17 years (:eek:) that I don't have a summer break, but I don't really mind because I enjoy my job and due to the obscene length of university summers I never knew what to do with myself and felt sad that I wasted all that time when I had to start studying again. Though I expect I may feel differently this time next year.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm dying to get it, even though I've heard nothing but bad :( *hopefully* getting it at the latest Monday . . .

By the way, you all need to head over to the book club thread and discuss :)

25. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Well I worked 40 hour weeks all through the last two summer breaks at internships, so I don't think it'll be a major adjustment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.