main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The "Hugo and Nebula" Lounge social thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh wow.

I'd actually like to do that this summer, though, because I'd like to raise enough money for a trip senior year and my mom said she's not helping, so I could really use the money. Babysitting is fine, and it pays a bit better than minimum wage and there aren't taxes, but it's unpredictible. I'd like to have a solid job and babysit on top of it.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Good policy, barabel_humour. I'm seriously thinking of miraging until one Legacy-class TPB debuts, which is a very long time.

3. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    The funny thing is that I can walk past the hardbacks of both Betrayal and Locke Lamora countless times every day at work without being even slightly tempted to peak inside either of them but for some reason I have no will-power when it comes to all that black highlighted text. [face_thinking]

4. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Hey! Anyone here like westerns? I can't wait to get Fort Apache on DVD on Tuesday. Then my John Ford cavalry trilory shall be complete!!! [face_dancing]

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nope, sorry.

I'm dying to get the Star Wars book!!! And I can't get to the bokstore until monday :( But I totally understand the lure of black highlights!!

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The sooner the year finishes, the sooner I get my Feast for Crows and The Bonehunters paperbacks. :cool:

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ex, you should go over to the book club thread and discuss Game of Thrones :)

8. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    I have to wait so long between SOIAF installments that I sometimes forget that it is an on-going series and that it didn't all just end in tragedy and turmoil.

It's actually worse with LotF considering there still isn't a paperback release for Betrayal even though the release dates for Bloodlines and Tempest are already up. I just don't see how I can stay spoiler-free indefinitely. [face_frustrated]

The only series that being spoiled through hasn't affected my enjoyment of is Harry Potter, but that's because all the stuff that me and a friend predicted at the end of the second has actually started happening. :)

9. MarcusP3

MarcusP3 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2006
    I am the opposite. I am forced to stay out of bookshops for a looooong time. Stupid expensive hardcovers.

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Loved to, Zebs. I don't dare, until Feast for Crows paperbacks.

Besides, those visions in the second and third books give the game away, really. Unless . . . Martin's pulling an Erikson. [face_thinking]

11. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    *lounges*

*sips margarita*

Ahhhhhh! :)

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    *steals the tequila bottle and has a straight shot*

That's more like it!

*collapses*

13. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    *draws smiley faces on Marcus as he lies inert* :p

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Don't drink tequilas, they've got worms within!

15. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    But that's what makes them exotic! [face_mischief]

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Consuming their brains and guts and whatever lavatory secretions they emitted whilst drowning? :confused:

17. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Oh Ex, you're so plebeian! [face_laugh] The worms are obviously cooked before they're put in the liquor. And it's not even in tequila where you find them. Here's some fun facts about the worms I found on the net :)

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    All alcohol and all worms are just gross [face_sick]

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

*shrugs* I was just going by what I heard from a gay worker last year, who inquired what galaxy I was on that I didn't know some tequilas had worms. When I put that above post to him, he grew very peeved and put off. More so, when I informed him the sorts of food Laosi and Koreans consume too. I assumed a, ah, connoisseur of worming would have known the prep involved, which he didn't elaborate on. [face_thinking]

Still, Zebra, they're not removing the organs, are they? That's not possible.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Moving on from the bugs . . .

Has anyone read anything good lately? I went to the library and the bookstore yesterday, so I'm very content :)

21. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Yeah :) I'm a good way into Mr. Midshipman Hornblower and I'm really liking the book. It's a collection of short stories about Horatio Hornblower's adventures at sea. I'm liking it so much I'm thinking about picking up the miniseries.

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I'm heat seeking for informative feedback on any of these books. Level of excitement, rewarding finale, creativity, interest, that sort of thing. They are my next potentials, and ths time I want to go in warm. After almost buying David Eddings, I want to be safe.

Revelation Space; Alastair Reynolds
    Jonny Strane and Mr Norrel; Susie Clarke
    The Risen Empire; Scott Westerfeld

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry, never read any of them. Why don't you like David Eddings? I'm going to try him (eventually).

24. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Too old, when the form of language was stiffer and less creative; and secondly, the Eddings are now writing kid books, which is kryptonite to me.

25. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Nat! Congrats on your promotion [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.