main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The "Hugo and Nebula" Lounge social thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you [:D]

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Now your first task as mod shall be to make cookies for us all :)

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Geez, I have to make sandwiches for Raven and the JCC mods and provide you guys with cookies??? :p

[image=http://www.biola.edu/parent/products/images/cookies.jpg]

These okay?

4. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Perfect! =P~

5. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    *speaks through a mouthful of cookie* Congrats, Nat! =D=

In other news, I logged on and sent a PM while at work today, it was mildly exciting. :)

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

[face_laugh] Congratulations :D

7. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    It was quite thrilling knowing that I could be caught at any moment and sent upstairs to do returns.

What was really interesting though was that TFN used to be a blocked site which means someone somewhere requested it be added to the list of approved sites, which is funny considering the OS is still blocked.

8. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    So, aything new lately anyone? :)

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Yes. I highly recommend the View from the Mirror. Almost finished the damn quartet. Only had time for a chapter a week past month, which has made the ending chapters even more gripping with intensity. Slow couple of starts, but the third book really picked up, and characterisation and tension of the last is bursting out of the pages. I had such a negative when starting the series, and they are a bit stiff, but everyone's a potential villain, everyone's honesty is as far as you can throw them. And everyone is genuinely honest with their feelings, actions made from personal need, not malice.

Has no one read this? It's "fresh" fantasy without dragons and blonde elfs.

10. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Never read it Ex, sorry :(

I would suggest for anyone who likes historical fiction to try reading Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester. It was the first Horatio Hornblower book written and I loved it! Read it in a day :)

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Never read it. I'll keep them in mind, though. I'm working on Discworld and Sharon Shinn books, and I'd like to read FFord's Tuesday Next books.

12. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I've never read those either :(

There.... there are just so many books I want to read but I don't have the time!! :_|

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Not surprising you haven't read the Mirror books, Zebra, I think they only had a quite short print run outside Australia.

I think you know my opinion on them, Ex. My copies of the last two are actually signed :p But guess what his newest series is? That's right, the dreaded young adult.

14. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    That must be why :)

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone read any books by Edgar Rice Burroughs and if so how did you like them? He was most famous for creating Tarzan but he wrote quite a number of other books as well. My dad loves his stuff, as did his dad before him :p and i've been thinking about trying them out.

15. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I fail to visit here enough, that is too true. I just noticed this thread in fact.

I have 'x' amount of time to visit the JC, and often it ends up being at YJCC, with strolls through various threads of interest, including some here.

I will try to visit more often.

I'm reading two books right now, both of which were given to me as gifts from my brother-in-law. They are Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (which I read when I can at home) and a book called The Einstien Intersection by Samuel R. Delany (which I just began to read yesterday, during my carpool). The second of these books is an old paperback, copywrited in 1967, so the tale is as old as I am. It's a Nebula winner for science fiction, which caught my eye, but I must say that the beginning is rather strange. I?m reserving judgment to see how it plays out.

My brother-in-law is a good guy, and I?m very appreciative that he thinks of me when buying books. He?s an avid reader himself, but mostly of crime dramas such as those by Robert B. Parker, and David Patterson for example. He will find out about a library having a book sale and will pick up a bunch. Sometimes I get extra copies of some books this way. On one trip he brought back several boxes of books, and placed them in my garage. It?s such a collection with a varied cross-section of genres that I don?t know if the whole thing is for my enjoyment, or if he just needed the extra storage.

In any case, this book by Delany is from that group.

I have also just last week finished another paperback that I found in this garage-stored collection: a book by F.M. Busby published in 1978 called All These Earths. It was a good read, in my opinion. A lot like the Sliders T.V. show, but the alternate universes weren?t accessed by a hand-held remote, but rather as a side effect from a faster-than-light space flight system called the Skip Drive. If you should happen to be perusing some old paperbacks in a used book store and you come across this one, I?d recommend it.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry, heard of him but haven't read him. I'm also sadly lacking in time somehow 8-}

17. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm lacking even more time now because I'm finishing up my last semester of school [face_dancing] Just two more months! :D

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Cool stuff :D I'm on a break from the evils of school for two more months (actually, exactly two more months). I'm busy because . . . you know, I'm not really sure. I just always seem to have stuff to do.

19. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Ah, I remember those days. But I haven't had a real summer vacation in like six years :(

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I haven't had any vacation in my life. There's no time. So take that! . . . Don't get me started on Irvine's new young "adult" books, MarcusP2. It's the newest rave, isn't it? Zahn's done 6 teen books of late; David and Leigh Eddings; bugger it all, my selection of fantasy grows smaller by the year. Had I not discovered Erikson last year, I honestly don't what I'd be doing.

No teening with him, and no subclasing of women. One offpage rape in nearly 5000 pages, that's coronnet carved reader respect, all right. Outstanding.

I'm tempted to try the next Mirror books, the war against the Lyrinx. But another four books is heavy involvement. Unless I can sell that rancid NJO, where can I put them?

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sucks. Summer break is the best part of being a student . . . and a teacher. See, that job has perks ;)

22. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I know! Just ask my mom and my sister. They both work for a school district and they both get time off :(

Of course my sister doesn't REALLY have time off any more because she just had a kid :p

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, congratulations!!!

24. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Yeah the cute little baby is a doll! [face_love] Although, I AM glad it's not me waking up in the middle of the night :p

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I'm not looking forward to waking up five+ times in the middle of the night, but I love kids so muc [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.