main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hugo Awards By Year: 1972--A Clockwork Orange

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    great movie. i love the music that plays at the beginning. sort of all dramatic and stuff :p

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I just found a copy of the soundtrack, a record, for a dollar.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Buy that sucker.

One of the great soundtracks of all time and Kubrick's eye has never been better than it was here; the music of the spheres is a common phrase, but it's never better applied than when talking about this movie. Magical and transcendant; unforgettable.

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Oh, I bought it the moment that I said it (I owe my friend a dollar). A little scratchy, but an outstanding soundtrack.

5. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Has anyone heard Alex North's 2001 soundtrack? I'd be interested to see the movie with that score just to see how it changes the experience.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Nope - Any good?

7. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I've been reading past posts on this thread and thought I'd put in my two credits.

"Destination Moon" was definitely a good choice. One of the first movies to feature a halfway realistic look at a flight to the moon. Could've done without the Bogart-clone on the crew, though.

"War of the Worlds" was another good choice. Still packs a great impact, with fine visual effects. And it, like "Destination Moon", was from the legendary George Pal.

As far as "Twilight Zone" and "Star Trek" are concerned, both definitely warranted an award. In fact, I remember reading that, in the year "City..." won, "Star Trek" had two other episodes nominated ("Doomsday Machine" and "Trouble with Tribbles").

Personally, my opinion regarding "2001" has lessened a bit over the years. Great visuals, yes, but people just seem too one-dimensional. I realize that sort of what Kubrick intended, but I'm still not too big on it. Arguably, a better choice for 1968 might've been "quatermass and the Pit", released the same year, I believe.

And I don't really agree that "Dr. Strangelove" can really be considered science fiction.

Did I miss anything?

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Next year: 1970.

Well, this one certainly surprised me because it's really not science fiction, it's science fact, but it's the one thing that's really SciFi coming to life.

Dramatic Presentation: News coverage of Apollo XI

It really deserves it though, despite being fact.

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Okay, moving on. 1971 was skipped for some reason, which brings us to 1972

Dramatic Presentation: A Clockwork Orange

Haven't seen this one, but I've heard good things.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm one of the few people who just really hates this movie.

Kubrick's eye is great and McDowell is sizzling, but the film simplifies the novel, leaches the real horror out (the incredible depravity is less the horror; the age is what's terrifying) and piles on the bombast. Seven phallic symbols in the first forty-five minutes, if you can believe it, and that's indicative of the problems. No one ever called Kubrick subtle, but he just really ruins a great novel with this film.

His usage of music, as usual, is spot on. But rape I do not find titallating.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Rogue, what did you think of the Apollo footage getting a Hugo?

12. steve12553

steve12553 Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2006
    Wonderful movie. Close to the spirit of the book. Well acted and great special effects for half a century ago.

13. steve12553

Feb 19, 2006
    Scared me to death when I was a kid. Still an interesting movie.

14. steve12553

Feb 19, 2006
    This episode utilized the original unbroadcast pilot. Captain Kirk was only a minor character in it. It was very interesting to any Trek fan.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I thought the Cage was the pilot.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I guess a news broadcast is a dramatic presentation, so I don't have a problem.

17. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I totally agree, and must say I've never seen Clockwork Orange either for exactly that reason.

When I watch a movie I want to take something from it - gain something if you will - either education on a subject or simple entertainment.

I don't think the central theme to this movie falls into either category. Similarly I've no interest in watching "Irreversible" for exactly the same reason, despite the solid reviews it gets for being a good movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.