main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN The Hulk!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by SkylaFett, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkylaFett

SkylaFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2001
    Hey Guys,

If someones goes to see it this weekend can you please let me knoe if it's suitable for Keytin. He saw Spiderman and X2. To give you some idea as to what might be ok for him.

2. Jedi_Crafton

Jedi_Crafton Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    if he saw x-2 and and spidy, id say its sutiable, it was an overall good movie

3. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    If he could handle X-2, he'll love the Hulk. The first half will have him asking all kinds of questions(as I witnessed last night with lots of kids) But the second half will have him standing on his seat screaming and making Hulk sounds. You'll be buying this DVD for Christmas.

They may have run roughshod over his origins, but at least they didn't make him an X-mutant like everyone else in the Marvel Newniverse.

I liked this movie, a lot.

It may have been the company I was with, too. :)

4. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    Does the Hulk himself look less cartoony than in the commercials? Even after watching the Lowdown, I am not satisfied that they have mastered the human CGI. I will admit that it is a far cry from the Superbowl version that was aired.

5. Jedimama

Jedimama Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 1999
    I think the CG Hulk does indeed look better than in the commercials, though there are some cartoony elements to it from time to time.
    It was much better than I had anticipated, though I did the think the last 20 minutes or so went on a bit long.
    I wouldn't hesitate to take my kids to this movie. Nothing more intense than Spider Man.

6. SkylaFett

Dec 6, 2001
    Cool Thanks Guys!

7. handsome_trooper

handsome_trooper Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2003
    i have not seen x2, hulk, or reloaded yet. altho i they were playing reloaded here the other day but i had to work so i missed it. i cant wait until i get back to the good ol USA. 7 months and counting. hopefully i will see you all when i get back.

jj

8. SkylaFett

Dec 6, 2001
    Hey kid, I'm about out the door to go to work but glad to see you on.

BTW I'm sure you will see all these guys.

Also J if you have time today go get your self on Bloodfin. You can click on the link in my signature.

9. Noval

Noval Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2002
    I thought this movie was awesome. His origin as they told it was a *cough* LITTLE *cough* off but overall I thought the story was good. I like the comic book frames they threw in there every so often and I'm with Xizor that the Hulk's CGI looked a lot better in the theatre than on the commercials. That was my biggest concern and it turned out much, much better than I had anticipated. Kudos to everyone involved with the movie. Can't wait for the sequel. :D

Noval

10. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

May 30, 2002
    Two favorite moments:

When a certain character spoke through the mirror,

Any onscreen time for Jennifer Connelly, YUM!

Ok, the green mushroom cloud from the Gamma Bomb. That was straight out of the comic book. Loved it!

11. YodaOnMyLeg

YodaOnMyLeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2001
    For those of you who saw the movie, did you guys catch Stan Lee and Lou Ferrigno as two security guards at Bruce's lab?

12. Noval

Noval Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2002
    Yessum. :D

13. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

May 30, 2002
    Ferrigno looked great-- the last time I saw him he was at a convention signing Hulk junk.

Nice of them to include him in the show.

14. InTheSockOfTheNight

InTheSockOfTheNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2002
    The last time I saw Ferrigno was a couple of months ago when he was at an Indy ICE game! That was pretty cool! :D

Possible Spoilers Ahead

Hmmm...well, two days out from watching the movie and I am still not quite sure whether I really liked it or not. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I am not sure where it ranks in my favorite movie pantheon.

It was an entertaining movie filled with some great acting (*sigh*Eric Bana*sigh) but then again, how can you go wrong with the likes of veterans Sam and Nick and the always amazing (and very talented) Jennifer. I thought newcomer Eric Bana did a wonderful job portraying Bruce (has anyone ever seen his turn as Mark "Chopper" Reed in Chopper? All I could say after seeing that was WOW!)

For the most part the flick was wonderfully (and dramatically- oh my gosh!) directed. *Round of applause* for Ang Lee. The downfall of this movie may come in the directing though as the movie may be to "serious" for the likes of the "MTV" generation to enjoy.

I liked all the various "comic book/24" editing wipes/styles/boxes/segues/etc. used. Some of them were utterly brilliant.

I thought the CGI was okay, at least it was improved from the original teaser trailer. There were moments when I thought the CGI was just "incredible" (ala the Hulk and David Banner in the lab) but then they follow it up with the "hulk dog" scene (a poodle?) and it just deflated my enthusiam for the CGI.

The opening credit sequence rocked!

The mirror scene was great!

The cameo scene was an awesome addition!

DISLIKES:

Now I love Danny Elfman, but come on- the music sounded like it had been regurgitated from Elfman's previous works. Going into the movie I wasn't totally sure Elfman had done the music until I heard the opening, it was easily pegged as his work.

Eric Bana's eyes are just gorgeous but did every scene really have to be that close up? It felt like whenever two people were talking the camera was alway so focused on the peoples eyes, it got to be almost annoying after a while being that close up.

The ending battle between the Banners and their alter egos just left me with a big "huh?" and an even bigger "what the hell?" I guess I need to see that part again or something...

**On a side note, did anyone catch how in Desert Base there was a huge absence of green coloring in the architecture and design on the entrance room? Amanda commented on this to me and I thought it was an interesting design technique.

15. Jedi_Gepper

Jedi_Gepper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    With the Summer Wedding Tour on hiatus until, um, this weekend, I guess I'll have to start a Summer Movie Tour. I think I'll see this one tomorrow since the response seems pretty positive (having skipped the spoiler post...thanks for the warning :) ).
    A girl's got to do something with her time when she's not working, right? Of course, I might get sucked into the new "Harry Potter" book instead.

That last statement is going to get me in trouble, isn't it? Ah, well.

16. InTheSockOfTheNight

InTheSockOfTheNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2002
    Gepper- If it makes you feel better (and also so you won't be the only one), I have already read Harry Potter in it's entirety and I liked it! Let the flames begin....

17. YodaOnMyLeg

Jun 10, 2001
    Who dies in the Harry Potter 5??

18. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    YoML- the person who bites it in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is Sirius Black, Harry's Godfather.

19. Quag_Myr_Rumm

Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    He has a godfather?

20. YodaOnMyLeg

Jun 10, 2001
    I thought it would be someone bigger (Hermonie - did I spell that right?). Being the spoiler junkie that I am, now I cant wait to read how it develops.

Thanks.

21. jordankarr

jordankarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2002
    I enjoyed the flick... It was fun and creative.... The Background may have been a bit of a change to the original concept but hey it still had the over all HULK feel...
    I still think I liked X-Men 2 better though!

I had a good laugh when I saw stan lee and Lou come out of the front doors to the lab... I think they put Lou into a shirt one size too small for him as a tribute to the Blue shirt ripping from the TV show....

I think I realized where the CGI engine came from to do that realistic of a job on the HULK...

I think it was a new version of the Final Fantasy: Spirits With In CGI program... ILM did a great job with it...

22. Redphive5

Redphive5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    I liked this movie more than I thought I would. I enjoyed the fact that there was a complex story-line and in-depth origin. Hulk was a little cartoony, but they used the wet look and dirty look to mask some of that.

I'd say Hulk is better than Spiderman and Daredevil, but not quite up to par with X2.

On a side note, I think the complexity of the story and intense violence (Hulk Smash!) might be a bit much for little kids.

23. Jedi_Gepper

Jedi_Gepper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    So, despite continuing to plow my way through "Harry Potter" and being delayed from going yesterday by it taking entirely too long to get my sunroof fixed, I found time today to see "The Hulk," or "Hulk," or whatever it's officially called.
    Knowing absolutely nothing about this character's actual origins comic book-wise, I know that the movie put in it the fine tradition of poor little boy with a screwed-up and/or mysterious childhood. Do any superhero types have normal well-adjusted childhoods? Just curious.
    I wasn't actually too distracted by the CGI, though it was at times rather obvious. That's alright though. It's not as if I know what the Hulk would actually look like out in the world anyway. Besides, the poodle had the worst groomed appearance in the film. The story itself was fine, but the movie went on just a bit long for my attention span.
    The performances were all good, of course, but all the split-screen stuff was giving me a headache. It was a good gimmick, but I think it was overdone for awhile there.
    I'll be nice here and not reveal major plot points since that's, well, rude. However, I did like the set-up for poor Bruce's anger issues.
    It truly ain't easy being green, is it now? Anyway, obviously it was better than "Spiderman" (despite Randy Savage), but like someone said, it's no "X2."
    Thus endeth the ramble.

24. yodafett_77

yodafett_77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    If you had a normal, well adjusted childhood, would you run around in tights and name yourself after some kind of rodent/insect/affliction of your choice? I didn't think so... But some of us do it for fun on the weekends. ;)

25. Quag_Myr_Rumm

Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Actually, Superman had a "normal" childhood. He was too young to remember the rocket crash and grew up in a good home. Yes some of them do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.