main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Human factor

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by MikeSolo, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I believe that most fans find ESB so great because the story doesn't really involve that many aliens..the Aliens are in the background we don't really foucus on them. Yoda is the only alien that plays a main character.

ANH aliens don't really play a big role more a secondary role Jawas, Garabage monster, Aliens at the Cantina and Chewbecca.

ATOC... Lot of Aliens but humans are still have the big roles, while yoda again plays the lone alien main charcter Yes we have Dex, other Jedi, Kamioans and Geonisons* but they still play a secondary role oh yea Sandpeople. The Humans are still majorty of the main foucus.

RTOJ...More aliens play bigger roles Jabba the Hutt and Ewoks...Humans have to share the time with these Aliens.

TPM Jar Jar, the Gungans, Watto. More Aliens play big roles again.

Now more fans praise ESB and ANH and say ATOC is alot better than TPM. ESB, ANH, and ATOC foucus on the human characters more than the aliens. ( Yoda an exception)
    TPM and RTOJ gets tons of negative feedback and those two movies foucus on alien characters more than ESB ANH and ATOC.
    So I feel that ,what I like to call the Human Factor, plays a major role in determining which movie fans like the most.

I personally like each movie, I wish we'd see more alien characters get more attention.

So what does everyone else think ? Do you like the foucus to be Humans as well as Aliens or you like the lopside foucus more on the Human characters and less on the Alien ones ?

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Actually I thought there was a nice balance between "Human-Alien" representation. Just take a look at the Senate. ;)

Also, the Prequels seem to focus alot on aliens more because of CGI advancements and the availablity to put such characters in the movies. This is the "Behind the Seens" way of looking at it.

In the "Star Wars Universe" way of seeing this is a bit different. Diverse species of aliens were more previalent during the years of the Old Republic, considering that once the Empire was established, aliens really didn't have that much going for them.

Remember, Palpatine was pro-Human even as Chancellor (although he was smart and didn't show it, of course- only discussed it with close friends, i.e. Tarkin, Pestage, etc.), and so when he established the New Order, the Empire was itself pro-Human, thus eliminating the "superiority" of the alien populace during the events of the OT (explaining why there weren't many seen and were less "diverse" species during this time).

I see where you are coming from though. Not many aliens play "main characters", except for Chewbacca (R2-D2 and C-3PO weren't aliens either, and GL said the Star Wars Saga was seen in their point of view ;) ).

Yet, many aliens do play crucial parts (Jabba, Watto, Yoda, Darth Maul, etc.), so in a way aliens ARE essential to the storyline.

But we already knew that, now didn't we? ;) :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

3. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    Damn human Nazis.

All you need is love!

4. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    Yea I know why we see alot of aliens in the PT and why we don't in the OT beacuse the Empire is anti-alien,plus GL has the technology to make really cool Aliens now.
    But thats not what I was trying to point out. What I was trying to point out is a lot of fans, the hardcore ones from the late 70s and early 80s praise and talk about how great ANH and ESB is and that the PT will never live up to them. So if you look at ANH and ESB is when I know the Empire was strong no Aliens but still there wasn't much aliens playing big roles. Now go to TPM and ROTJ lots of Aliens playing bigger roles and a lot of fans don't like them and we hear tons of negative feedback. Now ATOC humans still main foucus but we have aliens playing not as big role asin TPM but not small small one like in ANH. So feedback is 50/50.

This is just what i've been noticing in alot of these Forums and thought that a Human Factor might be one of the reasons a lot fans worhship ANH and ESB and constantly talk about how TPM and RTOJ was not that great or even a disappointment

5. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    In a way this does make sense: can you relate better to Jar-Jar Binks or Han Solo? If the whole concept of the Star Wars mythology is based on basic human failure and redemption - then that's how people are going to view themselves. If that makes any sense.

I think you've hit on something MikeSolo! :) Maybe this is where the stem of hatred for the Ewoks and Jar-Jar Binks comes from. The general public just can't relate to them.

-Bjork.

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Interesting...VERY interesting indeed.

Perhaps this is where the "alien" bashing is concieved- I for one loved ROTJ, yet I could never really understand why they didn't like it.

I know that aliens don't compare to humans in the sense that you can't really "relate" to them as well- who knows how a Twi'Lek reacts to certain things, or how different events strike different aliens. When you see a human character you can quickly connect and associate with what the character is feeling, doing, etc.

Like Doug Petrie said in Star Wars Insider: Issue #65:

"I think that Luke Skywalker is a relatively bland character when you put him next to C-3PO and Obi-Wan and Han Solo and these really colorful, dynamic, specific characters.

The effect is that you kind of get to cut his face out and put your own in. The thing that's really great about Luke Skywalker is that the greatest adventure of all time is happening to you."

That coincides with this theory- people are more susceptive to agree with the human perspective, rather than try and decipher the alien point of view.

Also, there could be a subconcious feeling of "predgidous" against this beings- the likes of which propel people to feel hostile against alien characters.

Very intricate and complex concept...this could lead into some very nice discussion... ;)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

7. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    It's settled then. Shall we start an Alien Rights Campaign?

:p

Luckily ESB has the Ugnaughts, Yoda, and the Bounty Hunters, or it would really stick out like a sore thumb. Although it has plenty of creatures as well.

8. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    I've been thinking that some fans would choose joining the Empire over the Rebellion because of this Anti-Alien ideology the Empire has. Me personally would be with the Rebellion and not just cause I'd get to hang out with Princess Leia.

I know this probably has been talked about before but what side would you choose ? The Rebellion which felt every being in the galaxy had rights or the Empire which felt humans ruled and all other beings should be either killed off or turned slaves ? From all the postings from some fans that feel very strong that the OT was soo much better than the PT I feel might choose the Empire when it really came down to choosing sides.

9. Frank_Booth

Frank_Booth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    Ahem.

I would respectfully disagree with the "alien bashing".

It is only certain types of aliens that receive bashing.

The goofy, out of control cartoon refugees and the Ewoks, who made a mockery of the last climatic battle of ROTJ.

No-one bashed cantina aliens or Jabba. No one hated Ackbar or basically anything that didn't stink of pandering to kiddies or old racial stereotyping. And before anyone lashes out at me in defense of Neimodians, Jar Jar or Watto, I didn't say I thought they were consciously patterned after such caricatures.

10. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I think aliens are used to make some actors playing human characters appear even more good looking, so I think their presence is necessary. (tongue firmly placed in cheek)

11. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    I personally like the Ewoks and felt GL did a great job putting them into the movie. I liked the fact the big bad Empire could be destoried by the primtive weapons of the Ewoks. I loved those TV movies made about them, still waiting for those to come out on DVD. If they were catroonish it would of been animated and you'd know it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.