main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Hundred-Year Darkness and the resulting Sith Empire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jun 10, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What his role in the Great Sith War? What about his opposition to Vitiate? That's far more than "ruling a static Empire".

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's after his death. LivingJedi is assuming you want a novel during his life, one supposes.

Quoting a quote of a quote makes the post very, very long, that's all.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    There's definitely ways to write books about Ragnos during his lifetime that are interesting and depict a Sith Civil War or something like that. But the general impression that is given by Golden Age of the Sith, and the general premise that it flows from, is that the Sith Empire long ago conquered "known space," and has spent a long time resting on its laurels, with the Sith Lords involved in byzantine maneuvering while avoiding outright conflict beyond duels. This is why Naga Sadow's desire to invade the Republic is so radical, and why he needs a casus belli to justify it with the other Sith Lords.

Marka Ragnos' lived over a century not because he was awesome, but because he was safe, and it was a Pax Sithica or something along those lines.

As for a book about him as a Sith spirit, I'm not sure if a novel should depict events from the point of view of an apparition, Jedi or Sith. That's something that should be kept mysterious.

I suppose I should note that I haven't read Revan so I really know nothing about Vitiate or how that depicts the Sith Empire of Ragnos, so perhaps that has already done the work and I'm just ignorant of it, in which case perhaps there's a foundation for a novel.

4. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Now I agree and all that Lord Ragnos is awesome and all. But lets go back to his predecessor. An even more powerful and mysterious IMO is Tulak Hord. We've never even seen a depiction of the Old Sith Empire lightsaber-wielding Dark Lord

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Though we've had a lot of conjecture which allows us to argue he was a Sith close to the arrival of the Dark Jedi on Korriban.

6. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    His Deshada servant Khem Val is over 2000 at the start of TOR. I'm assuming that means closer to 2000 than 3000. That puts them both mid 5000s BBY. Around 5500 BBY. Which would actually put them closer to Marka Ragnos then Ajunta Pall. Just saying.

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Conjecture would disagree (some of it, yes, but not all of it).

1. Tulak Hord slew a thousand Jedi at Yn and Chabosh, deep in Republic space; the Republic did know about the Sith in 5000 BBY, and the Sith had forgotten about the Jedi.
    2. Tulak Hord was an accomplished lightsaber duelist, when the upper echelons had abandoned lightsabers.
    3. Lord Ergast developed Force walking thousands of years before ToR, and and died three centuries after Hord.
    4. The exact date of Khem Val's age is obscured.
    5. The only recorded time in which Sith left Sith Space was just after they arrived.
    6. Tulak Hord discovered and conquered a hundred worlds for the Sith, including Dromund Kaas, an Empire of 120 worlds.

So... I'm inclined to push him towards 6,900 BBY and have him leave with Dreypa and return after Ajunta Pall's death, so Pall isn't aware that any of the exiles from Korriban return.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't see how a spirit's point of view is any different from that of a living person. Also, it's clear that as a spirit, Ragnos was getting stuff done. Stuff that needs further explanation.

There's also stuff that he might have gotten done when he was alive. For example, he may have forseen that the Sith Empire was going to fall and begun setting the Great Sith War in motion based on that.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    RE: Ragnos novel.

I'd love a novel centred on the dynastic politics of the ancient Sith Empire. If that involved the rise of Marka and ended with the climatic duel in which he struck Simus' head from his shoulders... well, that'd be fine.

10. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    We already know what happened, not enough tension, but something like that would be neat.

11. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Suggesting he was Ajunta Pall's successor? I like that, it sounds a lot like Thrawn returning to Imperial space after Endor. Btw, I'm supposed to be getting the Books of Sith in the mail, is Tulak Hord mentioned?

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Not at all. Ragnos is, though. Syn's section is full of new information though.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd bet that the lack of Hord information is because Hord didn't get anything done.

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Bioware seem to have a monopoly on Tulak Hord information and backstory.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And Bioware is saving information and backstory for the end-of-TOR that will never happen. :(

17. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    He expanded it's borders from what the Exiles had to start with to what the Empire is during the Golden Age.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    A hundred worlds... Quite a bit.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Really? I was under the impression that the expansion was over a long period of time.

20. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Oh yeah Tulak Hord is really expanded upon in TOR through Khem Val. Albeit Khem Val's opinion is very high and perhaps exaggerated on Hord he expanded to the Dromund system and won the battles of Yn and Caboash (sp?)

Hansa and darklordoftech like this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Hansa, are you aware that Korriban's existence in the EU just might be thanks to KJA?

22. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
  23. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    <-- Hansa. [face_party]

And yeah -- pretty sure it was KJA who came up with Korriban. Possibly his most lasting creation in the SW universe.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It was KJA and Veitch together. It came up during a chat they had at lunch during the writing of Dark Lords of the Sith.

Hansa likes this.
  25. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I wonder how KOTOR 3 would have looked like if they had decided to finish it...

Hansa and darklordoftech like this.