main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hunger Games - best-selling trilogy, in production for a movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by rhonderoo, May 9, 2011.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Fair enough. :p

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So what are the chances that they change the ending or tweak it ever so slightly?

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So I was able to view this film.

It was probably better than the original in that they got rid of the idiotic shaky cam. The technical improvements were matched by story-telling ones, since the ending of the last film could legitimately be called a subversion of the system. It therefore might make sense that people could rally to her. By contrast, absolutely nothing she did before the last 5 minutes of the original at all deviated from the script of the event, so it was pretty baffling that people were somehow inspired to rebel or sympathize with her because of it.

Having said that, this one still had a lot of crazy holes in it. For instance, the grand scheme that was revealed at the end was pretty non-sensical. The girl was already living in the District, without tracking devices, and with what didn't appear to be 24 hour surveillance (though it was admittedly pretty constant). At several points, they referenced simply trying to escape into the wilderness. But instead, they concoct a plan wherein they place her directly in harm's way, have a tracking chip embedded in her arm, and subject her to emotional trauma, all so that. . .she can end up in basically the same place as she was before that start of the 75th Games. In what sense was that better than just walking off into the woods?

I'm also confused about how their plan was supposed to have worked if she hadn't shot the arrow at the lightning and. . .whatever all happened at that part. Why didn't the other contestants remove their tracking chips? How did that guy build a giant spool of hundreds of feet of wire, if they're not supposed to be allowed to bring stuff into the arena with them? And if they are allowed, why don't people bring weapons instead of making a mad dash for them in the center of the ring every time? If Katniss was really public enemy number one, how come her closest allies apparently weren't under surveillance (that is, how did the drunk guy have time to build a secret alliance with the game maker?)? More broadly, I guess I never understood how the in-universe audience was supposed to respond to these games. Why were alliances suddenly such a huge deal when they weren't before? How was playing the game normally a betrayal of the revolution when they spent the first two hours of the last film trying to convince us that it was actually a revolutionary act?

Finally what was with all the X-Files logic? If she was becoming a revolutionary figure, there were a lot simpler ways to discredit her. Or they could've addressed the fact that she didn't really need to be discredited at all. After all, as the President described the problem, the main issue was that she had suffered no consequences from publicly embarrassing the government. Fine. So why couldn't they just make some consequences? Her's was hardly the first act of defiance, after all. Just the first one to have turned out so well for the perpetrator. And if killing her exposed their system as arbitrary, brutal, and weighted in favor of the capital, wasn't that supposed to be the point of the games in the first place?

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Katniss participating in the Quarter Quell was NOT part of the rebels' plan. They had to adjust it when President Snow announced the QQ contestants would be chosen from the existing pool of victors.

And the spool of wire was among the weapons at the Cornucopia - it was placed there specifically for Beetee as a part of the plan.

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Was that a change from the book, then? Because in the movie, I thought the Game Master was the one to suggest using previous victors?

Also, how come Peeta isn't considered some huge hero of the revolution, when he was just as much a part of the defiance as she was?

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Because all Peeta did in the first Hunger Games was hide.

7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Did he? I honestly can't remember. I only saw the film once and then read the book afterwards - it's possible that they changed it in the film and I just remember the "later" (from my POV) version from the book...

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    But I thought they viewed the forced killings as barbaric? So shouldn't his method of winning be even more defiant? How can the event be reviled but she be so celebrated for "doing well" in it?

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Because she's Jennifer Lawrence goddammit.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, it was a change from the book. Kind of a stupid one, but I guess they needed stuff for Philip Seymour Hoffman to do.

You asked earlier about what if Katniss hadn't shot the arrow with the wire into the force-field - you could see that Beetee had originally wrapped the wire around a spear, but had been wounded before he could throw it at the field, and that's what Katniss saw that gave her the idea.

Peeta isn't as important as Katniss because she was who the audience bonded with after the whole Rue thing, and she was the one who blatantly defied the games-masters with the double-suicide pact; Peeta, while having romantic self-sacrificing goals, worked within the rules - his plan was for Katniss to kill him, which was noble but not defiant. Katniss' whole attitude and lifestyle was rebellious (she lived by illegal poaching) and at odds with the system, while Peeta was pretty compatible with the system (aside from his love for Katniss).

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It may be a consequence of aging, but I've finally lost interest in paying to see sequels of bad movies. This is why I haven't been to see Hunger Games 2 or Hobbit 2 or Wolverine. Life is so much easier this way. The satisfaction of disliking a bad movie is nothing compared to the peace of mind I get from not seeing it at all.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    But it does mean you have nothing of consequence to add to this thread, though. Not that its stopped you from posting in it, of course.:(

Jabbadabbado and Rew like this.
  13. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    It's been awhile since I've seen the first film--in fact, it was so by the numbers and forgettable I only saw it the one time--but it seems pretty obvious to me that Katniss' friendship and improvised tribute to Rue is what seeded the revolutionary atmosphere, not Katniss merely winning the games. My guess is that there has always been a pretty clear dichotomy between the types of contestants in the games--the ruthlessly bloodthirsty "Careers" for whom killing and cold-heartedness is a virtue, and the reluctant tributes with humanitarian instincts for whom the entire enterprise is simply one of overwhelming terror and grief. Natural selection ensures those contestants don't last very long. Katniss is probably the first contestant who has been both human enough to forge a kind of emotional bond with the populace while still being skilled and resilient enough to actually win the event.

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The thread title mentions the book trilogy, which I've read, so I do feel I can add to the discussion.

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    But I don't really understand this. There have been battlefield alliances before. Quite frankly, we've seen people working together in every single one of these games that has ever been depicted. It seems implausible that having done this 74 other times, with 24 participants each time, there was never another pair that developed genuine friendship with each other or felt real sadness at their loss in the 1,752 different contestants that have preceded her. That's just ridiculous.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hunger Games Theme Park coming to Atlanta (plus Divergent, and err... Twilight). Make sure you count your kids before you leave.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/02/b...rary-of-film-properties-with-theme-parks.html

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    When is the last movie coming out?

Sometime this month, right?

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    November 20.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    A 42 minute documentary on the themes, symbolism, and social commentary in Catching Fire.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone catch Mockingjay Part 2 this weekend?

When I walked out of the theater, I felt pretty good about it. It didn't feel like two hours. I still had some questions. Maybe I need to re-familiarize myself with the previous 3 movies first before condemning/complaining about this one.

I love that it made $101 million its opening weekend and it's considered a disappointment due to the fact that it's predecessors opened to more.

I'd love to hear what others thought of it. I felt that the emotional impactful scenes didn't quite hit the mark they were expected to. I cared more about the death of Boggs than Prim.

Also,
    The whole scene with everyone heading to the Capitol had trap written all over it and the Katniss killing Coin was also pretty predictable.

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I didn't like the movie as much. It was okay, but nothing great. Seemed like some parts were dragged out a bit.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought it was a good movie. I really liked how it seemed more "Hunger Games" than Part 1, with the team infiltrating the city. The sewer part was especially tense.

And I thought the end part with the Major Death was very dramatic, theatrical, and well-done.

The epilogue was nice too.

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've just come home from watching it, and I'm actually pretty happy about it. I went in with low expectations, since I had heard that it was much more action oriented than the previous ones, also it's my favorite book in the trilogy so I didn't think it would be make it justice. It made me cry, just like the book, so I guess that's a good thing.
    It had my favorite lines in it "welcome to the 76th hunger games" and "she will choose the one she can't live without" but it also missed to of my favorite parts: Katniss' mental breakdown and the discussion on what they should do with her; and Gale line about Katniss' will always look upon him with the suspicion that he killed Prim.

I wasn't too happy about the mutts, but that's a sequence that I don't like in the books either. The sewer sequence definitely had me on edge just waiting for when they were going to attack. I also missed Katniss and Johanna's bonding and how they train in order to become Soldiers for the final attack. I'm ok with that though, since I see how that would have dragged the film on too long, missing it made it a bit strange in how team 451 was assembled. Also where was the wedding cake?

My main gripe with the film is the same as in the part one though; not enough Finnick and Annie. ;)

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh so there is a thread!

Anyways I liked the movie. An unexpected next step for the story but one that turned out quite good.