main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hunger Games - best-selling trilogy, in production for a movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by rhonderoo, May 9, 2011.

1. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That's my impression after the trailer. I'm calling it: this will suck.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's kinda funny- never even heard about this series until a couple months ago (one of my professors designed the movie's board game), suddenly it's got posters and such and is apparently pretty anticipated.

Is the book series actually good? Or is it just more Twilight-type crap?

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    The writing quality is much better than Twilight (full disclosure: I only ever read about the first 50 pages of the first Twilight book, so I can't speak to the quality of the entire series), and the story is better, and doesn't suffer from the worst gender issues of twilight, although it does suffer from some of the trappings of modern YA - an unlikely love triangle centered around the naive, un-self-aware first person narrator.

It's also INCREDIBLY violent and depressing.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I been recommended to read these and had planned too. Until reading 'INCREDIBLY violent and depressing' which made me look up the plot. Enough to say I've now lost interest in reading them. Not that I expect a happy ending in every story, but I'm rather disturbed by extremely violent stories centered around humans.

No problem with monster violence though. :p

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Pretty much what Dani said. :p

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, I'm with Vin... they better not **** this up.

But Dani's right, the books are no where near the Twilight series when it comes to stupidity and gender issues. Yes, the books are gritty and realistic in a post-apocalyptic kind of way, but they are extremely well-written. For YA and it's "demo" it sure seems to leave adults messed up. It has a way deeper insight on humanity and class systems, how the media affects us (reality shows, anyone?), than Twilight, which to me was pretty much summed up by Stephen King (all about having a boyfriend). Hopefully, they stick close to the book. I do NOT want to come out of there feeling like I just watched another Last Airbender.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    TRAILER!!!

http://youtu.be/p-5ANq4sAL0

EEEEE!!! I am so excited. I'm actually shocked/pleasantly surprised that they're actually making people like Effie/Capitol people look so outlandish and crazy makeup-ed like they are in the book. I would have figured they would have toned it down for the movie. :D :D

8. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    I don't like Haymich's hair, and I don't get why Effie's hair isn't pink, but aside from that, AMAZING.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I've heard of these but know next to nothing. Just saw the trailer and was singularly *unimpressed*. It looks dull, shallow, and likely to pander in the worst ways to young people while making all adults into Monsters Extreme. Lack of respect for elders is already rife today, we don't need further crap promoting this.

While I can understand dark for storytelling (I do it myself with my dramas) a society the likes of the one here just plain turn me off. I'll likely stick to synopsis and reviews only.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    wut

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    These are on my reading list. If I watch this trailer will I be spoiling myself, or undermining the experience of reading the books?

12. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Didn't look too bad to me. Better than expected.

Some things that stood out for the worse.
    1. Haymitch's hair is distracting lol
    2. District 12 didn't look as run down and ash covered as I hoped.
    3. Katniss should look less refined while in disctrict 12. She looked too clean, too glowing. I would like to see her transform into a beauty at the capital.

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm about halfway through the first book and think the trailer looks awesome.

14. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    That depends on how much of a purist you are. I don't think they're that spoilery, but if you're hardcore spoiler free I wouldn't watch it.

15. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    The trailer does spoil something that I found to be an interesting surprise at the beginning of the first book!

The trailer really only covers the part of the movie before the Games themselves start, so I would wait to watch it until after you've gotten to that point.

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'll leave it then. Get to things in my own time. Thx.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't remember Effie being described as looking similarly to the Mad Hatter of the most recent Alice in Wonderland, though I do recall different hair colors to be in fashion. Just not the face paint stuff. LOVE the Banks portrayal though and the tagline with the date was a legitimate goosebump-raiser.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Running Man meets The Tribe? Hm.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Battle Royale meets Disney Channel is what I got.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yep, read enough to know I'm *absolutely* avoiding both the film and books! [face_sick]

21. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    It's okay, Dooku! Not everyone can handle the violence :)

22. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I've read the books and I love Hunger Games, and I'm SO excited for this to come out! To the haters out there...well at least this isn't Twilight!

23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm so pumped for this. Comparing HG to Twilight is like comparing Aaron Rodgers to Tim Tebow. There's nothing there.

24. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Its like comparing two things I've never heard of? Not entirely apt because I've at least heard of both Twilight and the Hunger Games, but otherwise an absolutely smashing analogy.

25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Exactly! Glad you liked it. :)