main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hunger Games - best-selling trilogy, in production for a movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by rhonderoo, May 9, 2011.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Got my midnight ticket!!

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I think that's the overall satirical point being made at the heart of Battle Royale. Its primary purpose is social critique. Probably slightly more honest about the way the world works, too.

3. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Saw the trailer and it looks kinda cool.

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Dude. Can we be best friends? This was precisely how I felt.

Snow is the only consistent bright spot throughout the entire trilogy to me. I also love that rose garden scene. I suspect it was improved by me visualizing Donald Sutherland saying the lines. Regardless, I loved how well-drawn he was. Unfortunately, that served only to highlight how poorly-drawn Coin was. I know we were supposed to see her as some sort of "just-as-bad-as-Snow-if-not-worse" character, but I never felt that way about her. Even at the end. The result was when Katniss killed her, I felt like it was entirely possible that it was an unjustified killing. This is really what ruined the trilogy for me. I felt like she just got manipulated into killing Coin (hence Snow's reaction to the murder) as opposed to accomplishing some greater good.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't know what I thought of Coin's death, to be honest. By that point I think almost everyone's motivations and feelings were so badly confused (by the author) it was hard to find a line that really made sense. The only person who seemed to know their own mind, though, of all the characters, Collins and even me as reader, was Snow. He saw clearly in that moment the chaos that replaces a dictatorship and was pleased about it. Only, Collins seemed to think that this twisted society could somehow be completely fixed up by Coin's assassination. Everything after it is so happy ever after. I found that very false. For me, Snow's unspoken point was that Panem was so damaged it couldn't possibly sustain itself without tyranny - and that the revolution was motivated only by the need to get in on the action. He saw it all along. And if not tyranny, then only chaos to come. I think that's why Snow laughed at Coin's death. He saw factions moving behind factions. Worse to come than his own Hunger Games. Worse than Coin's inevitable Hunger Games. Only... Collins didn't. Her character had a better idea than she did! She toyed with the idea of Panem drifting into another dark era with Coin, even had her characters pay it lip service, but decided not to go there. After such a terrible tale, I don't think the story could make believable a happy-ish ending, but Collins was desperate to give it one. So desperate she broke off after Coin's death and tacked one on. How would I have ended it? With Coin (a better drawn Coin) coming to and staying in power.... the threat of what might come in her premiership hanging over Panem as we leave it forever. That would at least have given Katniss' unease with everything in Panem some credibility, and perhaps encouraged me as a reader to - if not like - understand her at the end.

Up until I saw the trailer for the film of the first book, in my head Snow resembled Terence Stamp. Sutherland is adequate, though.

6. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Honestly, thought this was where she (Collins) was going with the trilogy all along. I thought everything was building to this particular realization by Katniss. I was expecting an ending something along the lines of: 1) Coin dies/is murdered, 2) Plutarch makes Katniss a figurehead ruler while he manages the merging of old and new beauracracies, and 3) Katniss grows up and realizes that Snow's brutality was all that was keeping Panem from tearing itself apart. Even when Snow's laughing at the end, I was still thinking that this outcome was possible. Then the whole damned book just jumped the proverbial shark.

7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So the premiere is going on right now. Anyone following it?

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I had a couple friends out there for it--which was my main interest in it.

But the video feed wasn't working for me anyway, so oh well.

10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Judging by the last several posts, not reading the third book might be a good idea. :p

If I could get my hands onto it, I would but:

1) If the book's as bad as everyone describes it, I'm not willing to shell the 7 or 8 bucks for a Kindle version
    2) I would lend it from the library but there's a waiting list, and the stupid library apparently only owns two copies
    3) Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the upcoming movie only covers the first book, in that case, there's no hurry and I'll get to Mockinjay sooner or later.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    1) If the book's as bad as everyone describes it, I'm not willing to shell the 7 or 8 bucks for a Kindle version
    Save your money.

2) I would lend it from the library but there's a waiting list, and the stupid library apparently only owns two copies.
    Put your name on the list. If you read Catching Fire you can't not read this one now.

3) Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the upcoming movie only covers the first book, in that case, there's no hurry and I'll get to Mockinjay sooner or later.
    Correct. No rush. Wait the six months for your free library copy.

12. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    There's also a free PDF of the book out there via google. I downloaded all three of the books, and read them off of my iPod over the course of five days. I finished Mockingjay a couple days ago, and I've never been so dissatisfied with a story's end. I can't imagine stopping at the end of book one, though. I've got to say, the ending made me cry. I never cry about books or movies, but Prim's death, and the scene where Katniss launches into a nervous breakdown over seeing the cat totally got to me. I was also pretty pissed about the lack of reaction for Finnick's death, and the lack of closure between Gale and Prim. I wasn't exactly a Gale fan, but c'mon.

13. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Yeah, I'll wait for the library copy, I have some other stuff to read in the meantime. Thanks for the spoilers though.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not that I pay TERRIBLY much attention to the pre-box office stuff, but I did happen to glance today that tracking for the film has this trending for an opening LARGER than Twilight films...

15. nostalgia

Jul 6, 2011
    I thought I'd done an okay job at masking any major details or spoilers. Sorry..?

16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    At the theater I run I have 4 sold out midnight shows already. Plus I have a few rentals that booked it at 8pm the night before through the distributor. That's just under 2000 tickets just for 6 shows. By Thursday I fully expect to have at least 10 midnight shows sold out easily. This movie is projecting bigger than Twilight. It's going to be a busy weekend at work.

17. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    You did. It was my fault :p

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The Hunger Games was good. Catching Fire was okay. Mockingjay outright sucked.

19. nostalgia

Jul 6, 2011
    Consider it mental preparation then! :p

20. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Trailer for Catching Fire already looks better than the book version. Philip Seymour Hoffman makes everything better.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There's a lot of story to cover in part 2. The first one was under 2 1/2 hours, but still seemed long.

22. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    The trailer looks legit. PSH is a great bad guy. I hope he and Sutherland are used correctly. Could be a good one.

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Links? [face_batting]

I'm looking forward to it. The first movie just hit Netflix instant :D

24. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

NYCitygurl likes this.