main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hunger Games - best-selling trilogy, in production for a movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by rhonderoo, May 9, 2011.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wish we could have seen more of Finnick and Johanna.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  3. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    The second trailer gave me hope, I might watch it at the theater.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually liked the first movie; I thought it was a good adaptation.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't see the first movie yet, but i'm excited for the new one

6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Anyone seen Catching Fire yet? I think they did a really great job with it; very good film (very faithful to the book) :D

7. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Loved it and I've never read the book. Definite improvement over the first.

Although very Star Wars...white troops are storm troopers, Sutherland is the Emperor, Katniss is Luke, rebellion to try and overthrow the evil Empire etc.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Was going to see it last night, but it was sold out, but will be seeing it Tuesday

9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Saw it this afternoon. Very well done and sticked to much of the book while only omitting the things which would have slowed the film down. I'll be back to see this again.

Also, I was a bit miffed about Mockingjay being split into two parts, but got to thinking about it after the movie and started to think that it wouldn't be that bad of a thing. That book covers a LOT of ground and the film would easily be north of 3 hours long were it all done in a single film while leaving out a lot more story elements from the book than Catching Fire did.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't read the books, but I've seen both films. I liked the first; thought the second was much better. For one thing- they got rid of the shaky cam, so now I could finally tell WTF was going on. Katniss was actually a character here, and I liked her arc, especially with the implications that she's just taken her first step into a larger world, so to speak. I didn't see the twist coming with PSH's character, so well done trailers for keeping that under wraps.

And I can't help but love everything about Stanley Tucci's character. He's just so hammy. :D

11. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Love Stanley Tucci. The twist literally came out of nowhere and had me scratching my head. I knew something was up but I've heard in the books it's quite different because you're given a hint (albeit a small one), but in the movie a shadow of a hint would have been welcome.

It also ended abruptly which is also different from the novel.

BUT I agree in the shaky cam. We actually got to see more of the world in this one, no perpetual close up shots of the first movie.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was also happy about halfway through the film when I realized the actor that played Joanna was Rocket from Sucker Punch.

13. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Wasn't the black dude with the wire in Spartacus and Boardwalk Empire?

14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Jeffrey Wright? IDK, I just know him from the first two Craig Bond films, as well as few single films.

15. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Yeah he was in Boardwalk and Spartacus, just looked it up. Haha I knew he looked familiar.

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought it was very good, though I didn't like it as much as the first one.

17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I've just came back from seeing this film and I really liked it. I agree that it was an improvement over the first film (not that the first film wasn't good!) and there was a lot of character development all around. I haven't read the books, so I wasn't expecting the twist with Plutarch being actually part of the revolution and that the entire 3rd Quarter Quell was about getting Katniss out! Maybe it's because Philip Seymour Hoffman is so good at playing the baddies. :p It took me completely by surprise, but I loved it.

So yeah, good film. :) Oh, and speaking of recognising actors from other stuff - the guy who played Finnick was also in The Pillars of the Earth.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Seeing this today hopefully!

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    For those of you who haven't read the books, please do so, there is so much more in them which the films couldn't possibly cover and they will give you an even greater appreciation for the films. Plus, you'll have some idea of what to expect in the next two films.

20. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    -in response to nearly every movie adaptation of a book :p

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Saw it. Loved it. How the hell are they going to make two movies out of a 400 page book though?

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    pfft, peter jackson could make three.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They would probably end the 1st movie before the invasion begins and the 2nd movie will be the entire invasion.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But are each of them going to be 2.5 hours long?

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Doubtful. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 was 145 minutes and Part 2 was 130 minutes.
    Twlight Breaking Dawn Pt 1 and 2 don't seem to be more than 2 hours each.
    The 2nd one will be shorter than the first one. Unless they focus more on Gale, President Coin and Snow and others. Which they might.