main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ?The Hunter, Haunted? [Jacen, ?Legacy of the Force?: SPECULATION!]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Disclaimer: Star Wars, the Galaxy where it takes place, and probably most of the intergalactic void, all belong to George Lucas. This is just one fan?s critical and artistic response, a not-for-profit commentary on the characters, situations and locations of the saga.

As its says in the title, this one is primarily an exploration of Jacen Solo?s character, during the timeframe of the ?Legacy of the Force? novels. There are major SPOILERS for Sacrifice, and also references to developments in Inferno, plus some fannish SPECULATION on future plot-developments.

And remember: we?re all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the sea of stars? :D

[blockquote][i]Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
    mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
    ché la diritta via era smarrita.[/i][/blockquote]

Jacen Solo pressed forward into the darkness.

He was moving with quick, silent steps, and his gaze reached deep into the pitch-black ahead of him. With his awareness guided by the Force, the lack of light meant nothing.

He was a natural hunter, and there would be no escape for his prey today. He knew that as surely as if it had already happened.

[i]So[/i], he asked himself. [i]Why are you frowning?[/i]

He smoothed his taut forehead, but he couldn?t shake a sense that he?d done this once too often ? chasing female Jedi prey through rock-hewn caves and caverns, hunting them in a starless darkness, punctuated only by the bright, stabbing blades of lightsabers.

He?d murdered Nelani Dinn in a mined-out asteroid near Bimmiel, and hounded Mara Jade Skywalker to her death in the storm-shelter tunnels hewn through the bedrock of Kavar.

He hesitated for a moment ? a mental double-take, though there was no pause in his predatory footsteps.

[i]This[/i] was Kavar. He was [i]hounding[/i] Aunt Mara right now. But he could already remember killing her.

[i]A dream[/i].

He laughed lightly, and plunged quicker into the darkness. Stealth didn?t matter now. In the Force, he knew that the rock-hewn passage had opened out, becoming a cathedral cave.

A dark grin twisted on his face.

Mara was here. Waiting for him.

Waiting for her inevitable death.

The darkness surrounded him now, but it held no danger for him. He was Darth Caedus, Dark Lord of the Sith, ruler of the Galaxy.

The darkness was his strength. His dominion.

And then a flash of noise interrupted his thoughts. He heard a sound like a phosphor torch igniting, followed by a slash of light.

He turned sharply, and saw a pale face staring out of the dark at him.

Mara?s face.

Her eyes stared at him, wide and bright with fear. Where her mouth should have been, there was only a silent, silver shape, glittering with bright white light. Tendons stood taut in her slim neck, and beads of sweat shone on her forehead.

Jacen blinked, and realised what he was looking at.

Mara was kneeling on the ground, and the light that lit up her face was an energy-sword. A gloved hand was gripped into her hair, hauling her head back, and baring her throat for the blade.

The shadows behind her were the shape of a man: tall and powerful, with a dark cloak over his armour, a dark hood pulled forward to hide his face from view.

?Who are you?? Jacen asked, striding forward, and palming his own lightsaber into his hand.

The only answer was silence. Mara stared at him ? fear and warning in her eyes.

He looked at her in contempt, then looked back at the black-clad man. He suspected he already knew the answer.

He grinned.

?You?re me. Aren?t you??

?We are One,? came back the reply ? a deep, masculine voice, an echo of his own. The Force seemed to ripple around the cavern at the words.

Jacen simply raised an eyebrow, and smirked.

What happened next took him completely by surprise.

A chorus of voices spoke, and red light leapt and danced around the hewn rock of the natural cathedral, lit up suddenly by a hundred blood-bright torches.

?We are One,? a hundred Sith Lords said.

Jacen gazed around the cavern, l

2. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    *grins*

That was truly awesome!
    Loved every second of it...every syllable!

3. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Oh wow! :eek: :D Very, very clever, Wok!! =D= This one certainly makes you think, and in my opinion, this was some of the best writing I've read from you.

You pulled me in from the get-go (the title is awesome!), and the whole concept of Jacen and his instability is really believable. Your thoughts that Jacen's fall started with Anakin's death are spot on (IMO, that's how I see it, anyway), so it makes perfect sense that he would be constantly haunted by his brother's presence. =D=

And Tahiri, yes he is certainly corrupting her, and I fear she'll fall and become Caedus' apprentice in the not too distant future. Perhaps... and reading this fic has made me think of this... Jacen is manipulating and turning Tahiri because she is Anakin's former lover, in a sort of twisted, insane way of getting back at Anakin for haunting him and starting him down this path?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, or not enough.. or I'm on the wrong path altogether, but that is what this fic made me think of, anyway.

Fantastic job! [face_love] You know I always love your work, but this one really stood out for me. It was very well-crafted, and extremely clever (I think I've said that already). :p

Really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to more from you. :D You know my PM box is always open if you have something new, right? [face_batting] ;)

Ant. ]-}

EDIT: Silly mark-ups! :p

4. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    yeah Anakin! hautn him!

5. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Is that an actual language? Pray tell what the translation is. ;)

Because chasing male Jedi is just no fun, obviously.

So if they're One, what does that make Jacen?

Jacen, Jacen, Jacen... is nothing sacred to him? Sounds like it's not.

How nice of Anakin and Mara to do so.

Creepy but cool, McE.

KT

6. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    oh my stars and garters... i disappear for a week or two and this is what you producE? I think I need to take extended vacations from the boards more often then [face_frown]

It's a truly great job on this one, and I know I've told you before how much I like the thought of white-eyes there...

Great, great job!

7. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
    ché la diritta via era smarrita.

Italian, right?

In the middle of ____ of our life
    I return(?) for a hidden/secret _____
    what the straight way has lost.

That's the best translation I can think of...some words I don't know.

On topic... Great fic, McEwok! I love the dream that you open with. A lot of emotion and energy- I really like it! Great job.

8. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
    ché la diritta via era smarrita.

Thank you, Google, for helping me find out what that means :p Very appropriate!

He smoothed his taut forehead, but he couldn?t shake a sense that he?d done this once too often ? chasing female Jedi prey through rock-hewn caves and caverns, hunting them in a starless darkness, punctuated only by the bright, stabbing blades of lightsabers.

Yeah, since DN Jacen has been killing or injuring an alarming amount of women, hasn't he? I think he has a problem with them [face_whistling]

This was Kavar. He was hounding Aunt Mara right now. But he could already remember killing her.
    A dream.

Interesting [face_thinking]

?We are One,? came back the reply ? a deep, masculine voice, an echo of his own. The Force seemed to ripple around the cavern at the words.
    Jacen simply raised an eyebrow, and smirked.
    What happened next took him completely by surprise.
    A chorus of voices spoke, and red light leapt and danced around the hewn rock of the natural cathedral, lit up suddenly by a hundred blood-bright torches.
    ?We are One,? a hundred Sith Lords said.

That was awesome =D=

The Sith were here ? to acknowledge him, and to salute him.

So sure...? [face_thinking]

The perfect man in the Sith robes wasn?t him.
    It was Anakin.

k, I at least saw that one coming now :p Go me!

?Is everything all right, Colonel?? the droid?s voice asked.

I really liked SD-XX's scenes in Inferno :D

He leaned forward, resting against the cool clearsteel pane. He could see the brilliant stars, and Kuat, spread beneath him like a satisfied lover.

Beautiful.

Mara was dead, and so was Anakin.

Keep telling yourself that, bud [face_mischief]

Don?t worry, Jace, his brother?s voice teased, cocky and incongruous amid his thoughts. Mara and me aren?t really going to come back and kill you.
    The voice fell silent, and he breathed a sigh of relief. The voices were something else he occasionally had to deal with.
    His hand closed round the blue milk carton.
    Then Anakin laughed again.
    We?re just going to sit back, and watch you fail all on your own?.

[face_laugh] =D=

Loved it, Ewok :D =D= Sort of reminds me of a viggie idea I had after reading Inferno [face_thinking]

Anyway, I love that you're delving into this idea of Jacen having nightmares in Inferno. I imagine he is haunted by all the horrors he's caused, and it would be interesting if there was something more tangible to its source than simply his unconscious guilt... like the spirits of those he's killed. Still waiting for an explanation of the names he apparently whispers in his sleep though :p

This was great. I particularly loved all the dream imagery and the way the Sith were revealed in it. Also, the closing was very fitting [face_mischief]

Another wonderful piece =D=

9. shahid_chestro

shahid_chestro Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    AWESOME!!!!!
    please update soon.

10. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006

Lol [face_laugh] That has to be the best line and so Anakin and Mara =D=

Great Job!

PHGS Weyr