main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The I am Your Father Revelation in ESB

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Sammy52, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    The big revelation in ESB will not be ruined for those first time star wars viewers who watch the episodes from the beginning to end. I say that the shock can still be there, just so long that Luke's and Leia's names are not mentioned in Episode III. it can just be explained that it's just a coincidence that Luke and Anakin have the same last name and that Anakin/Vader killed Luke's father and that everything that obi-wan says in ANH is all true. agree or disagree?

2. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I agree that if its played out that way there is still shock value, but I dont think it will be played out that way.

3. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Disagree.

Whether or not either/both of their names are mentioned in the movie, it's still clear that Anakin Skywalker BECAME Vader, and that Padme's children (seen in the movie, and sent off to their destinations) are Luke and Leia from ANH.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    i think the shock value will be that vader finally told him

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    GL has already said that we will know about Anakin and Vader. George's logic is very clear and I agree with it.
    Future viewers upon seeing CT will be like wow there is Leia, wow there is Luke wow there is Luke. Finally wow they put all the pieces together. The viewers will be steps ahead of the characters and that will make for a more interesting viewing. When Vader says his classic line in TESB we won't be blown away by what he said but the fact that he said it.

-Seldon

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    It's a pretty crushing blow for Luke. I think the shock of the truth will be gone for the audience because...well...we know obviously but part of that shock is an empathy for Luke being put in this hideous situation and that will still come through loud and clear

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, basically, the shock value of this thing was gone for a long time. It's just seeing how it comes together, now, that's so cool.

The same thing is true of any film with a mjor twist: the original Planet of the Apes, the Sixth Sense (and anything else by Shayalaman), etc

After the movie has been out for a few years--especially when it has become a pop culture phenomenon--most everyone who sees it subsequently, knows about the twist before they actually see the moment on film. But it's actually seeing that moment that still makes it so good. It's that the author was able to set it up, and deliver the surprise so dramatically.

So yeah, in one sense its gone. In another, it has been for decades.

8. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I'm still not sure. Those who have exposed themself to spoilers might know differently (but please don't confirm or deny), but I think there's the possibility that we see Anakin 'die', and we see Vader, but we don't necessarily get shown that Anakin is Vader. To be honest I doubt it, but I'd like to think it's still a possibility.

I'm pretty spoiler free when it comes to this issue, so maybe things have already been officially (or otherwise) released that contradict this idea (I don't wanna know), but the 'revelation' is possibly the single most significant scene of the OT, and I think it would be cool for GL to protect that shock factor for future generations.

9. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    But not for Star Wars as a whole

Anakin turning Evil/Palpatine proclaiming himself Emperor/Republic turning Empire/Jedi Purge are all events that are at least on par with the ESB revelation

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The future audience will be shocked by ROTS instead of shocked by TESB. They will also be so much more sad when Obi-Wan and Yoda die in the CT. There is much more shock and suspense for the future viewers.

We watch the PT knowing that nothing will happen to the heroes or if something does happen we usually know in advance. It is the future viewers who will truly be along for the ride.

-Seldon

11. IchiTheKiller

IchiTheKiller Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2004
    If i ever have kids and they will watch the movies for the first time i will advice them to watch the OT first. They will thank me when they are older hehe!

12. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Why will they thank you ?

13. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Look at it this way: After you learned who Vader really is, when you saw ESB for the first time, did it actually make ESB a lesser movie on repeated viewings? or ANH for that matter? I don't think so.

14. IchiTheKiller

IchiTheKiller Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2004
    "Why will they thank you ?"

Cause then they get to experience that "Oh my god" feling when Vader reveals the truth.
    I don't know but the OT shall be experienced without having everything laid out for you before hand imo_Or else it would destroy the magik and wonder that is the OT.

Watching the prequels afterwards will be more like a cool history lesson for them.

Yes i will rase my kids to be bashers muhahaha!
    But aparently accourding to Triumph the insult dog starwars fans don't reproduce.

15. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
    I think the rel shock to future generations will be the line isn't "Luke, I am your father" it's "No, I am your father.

16. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Guessing now, since I am spoiler free, but I think the revelation scene will have some shock value after PT, although of a different kind. For people seeing Star Wars from 1 to 6 this is probably the first time evil is truly resisted. :)

17. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    Future viewers upon seeing CT will be like wow there is Leia, wow there is Luke wow there is Luke. Finally wow they put all the pieces together. The viewers will be steps ahead of the characters and that will make for a more interesting viewing.

your counting on future generations to watch the prequels and still remain interested in three more star wars films. a bit of a tall order in my opinion.

the truth of the matter is that the esb revelation was meant to shock.

i guess if you can endure the rest of the flaws being edited into the OT, you can live with the revelation scene being insignifigant.

When Vader says his classic line in TESB we won't be blown away by what he said but the fact that he said it

i am never blown away when a character states an obvious truth. but then again, i kinda like ric olie.

18. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    "your counting on future generations to watch the prequels and still remain interested in three more star wars films. a bit of a tall order in my opinion."

Why wouldn't they be ?

19. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Exactly what I was thinking. People are gonna want to know what happens with Vader, Palpatine, and the Empire. They'll want to see what happens to Luke and Leia, and the droids.

RotS will end on such a note that they almost HAVE to watch the next 3 in order to be satisfied.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In any case, even my friends who have NEVER seen Star Wars know that Vader is Luke's father. I don't think the surprise can be easily maintained for anyone who hasn't seen the original movies--unless they are shown the movies as young children.

In which case it wouldn't matter, because most kids won't quibble with things like that.

21. Kabal

Kabal Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 18, 1998
    It will not be a different "value" of shock-value. In 1980, George shocked the fans and moviegoers with that line. In 2005, when we watch ESB (or someone for the first time that has seen 1-4 already), they will probably know already, but the shock-value now will be reserved for our feelings for Luke. We'll feel shocked and surprised for Luke's sake only. It won't be as big of a deal because it is someone else's feelings (Luke's), but it will still be a "shock."

22. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    We'll feel shocked and surprised for Luke's sake only. It won't be as big of a deal because it is someone else's feelings (Luke's), but it will still be a "shock."

I can agree with this. On other part, that fact that DV said it is a "shock" as well. GL did say that the audience is likely to react "Oh my God, he actually said it!" - Something like that. In other words, the fact that Vader said it is mind inducing. (if that's the right word [face_blush])

23. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The big revelation in ESB will not be ruined for those first time star wars viewers who watch the episodes from the beginning to end.

It won't be ruined, it'll just be different. It won't be an out of the blue surprise; however, it will be interesting for the viewers to anticipate and observe Luke's reaction. And there's still the drama of wondering if Luke will really join his father. There's more to that scene than just the "surprise", but it seems the surprise has overshadowed these other equally intriguing elements.

24. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I agree, Darth-Seldon - the big shocks for an audience watching the movies in order will be RotS rather than ESB. The audience would probably get to the end of AotC knowing that Anakin is a very tortured hero, but probably expecting him to be all right in the end. There would be a sense of dread by the end of AotC, but few would expect things to get quite as bad as they surely will in RotS. Plus, Vader's redemption in RotJ will be an even bigger, more powerful moment for them, having seen Anakin's descent into the Dark Side, the way he fell so deeply into it ... to see him kill Palpatine will be a huge moment. Also, when Luke starts having to make some of the same decisions that Anakin did, there'll be a certain amount of tension, and a feeling of "Oh no, he's not going to make the same mistakes, is he?" As for Luke's shock in ESB, it'll be more a case of the audience knowing more than the hero, and there'll definitely be that tension of "when is Luke going to find out?" Of course, nothing can compare to that shock of the first viewing of ESB, but that moment is such a part of popular culture now that it will never quite have the same effect again. It's a shame, but also a testemant to the power of the scene.

25. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    The "shock" will be that Darth Vader has supposedly abandoned his identity as Anakin Skywalker, and yet is now telling Luke that he (ie. Anakin) is his father.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.