Arena The "I called that one!" Upset Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DT421, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Ever call an upset that transpired and nobody believed that you called it beforehand?

It can be any sport.

It's nothing more than a bit of fun based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

Right now I'm calling Tennessee over LSU.

Anybody else got an upset prediction?
  2. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I called Tipsarevic over Roddick this year at the US Open.

and not an upset but on a Clemson fan forum I picked the exact score of the Clemson/North texas game correctly (35-10)
  3. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    rech, I think calling an exact score is much tougher than calling an upset. Especially in football and basketball games.
  4. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Upsets are not so difficult...are they?
  5. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Then call one and see if it happens. Hell, even predict the score of the upset if that raises the difficulty to folks satisfaction. :p

EDIT: And on that note then - Tennessee 24, LSU 20
  6. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I predict that the Buffalo Bills will win 3 games this season.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:
  7. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    I predict the Panthers will win one division game this season. At the rate they're going, that will be a major upset indeed. 8-}

And in other NFL news, I'll just go ahead and call Washington sweeping Dallas this year. We can dream, anyway. :(
  8. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm going with the Buccos over the Cardinals tomorrow night.
  9. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, there's a reason we don't play Streak of Upsets for Colors. lol... Sports folks do love a good upset, but picking a sure thing (at least in our minds) is probably the more practiced method of doing things. :p

I think we've all had a moment where we knew something was going to happen when no one else seemed to believe us. "Going against the grain" with reasoning like "the other team is just due for a win right now" makes it hard to convince folks, too. :p
  10. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Probably the easiest time of year to call for upsets is March Madness. Looking at the statistical breakdowns of match ups between seeds, you have a decent shot at calling them.
  11. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think it also bears mentioning that not every game where the team which isn't favored wins is an upset. Calling a true upset is much harder.

Incidentally, when I said picking an exact score was even harder, I wasn't trying to diminish the impressiveness of calling an upset correctly - but just noting that getting an exact score when several dozen points are involved is exceptionally difficult.
  12. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Well, we've got one win over them so far. Surely we can get the second one. :)

As for me, I called Denver beating the Packers in the Super Bowl. I got to see Titanic for free courtesy of my sister out of that one. :p
  13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I wish this thread had existed a long time ago. I'm pretty good at predicting upsets. Will definitely post here as my intuition speaks to me.
  14. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Milwaukee Bucks win the Central.
  15. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't think there is anyway Tennessee beat LSU. Things are ugly in Knoxville at the moment.

16. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I'll be pulling for LSU (my dad's an LSU alum) but its not out of the question. LSU has not looked good this year either, and while Tennessee has struggled as expected, its not a done deal. Its a very real possibility.
  17. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    My dad is also an LSU alum. But I will be pulling against them
  18. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think he means in some future year.

Because yes, the Reds did. :p
  20. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
  21. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    In that case, the Pirates winning the division within my lifetime. :p

I wouldn't be too surprised of UCLA topped USC...and I wouldn't be upset either.
  22. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Considering the Milwaukee Bucks play in a different sport than the Cincinnati Reds, he's probably talking about this year.

He's still wrong though.
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Oops, I managed to read "Brewers" instead of "Bucks" :oops:

I wouldn't be too surprised of UCLA topped USC...and I wouldn't be upset either.

[face_laugh] Agreed.
  24. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I thought the same thing, R...J. My mind's not ready for NBA teams not named the Lakers, Celtics, or Heat. :p
  25. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm also calling a Memphis Grizzlies regular season 2-game sweep of the Miami Heat this upcoming season.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.