The "I Love Luke" string

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by Skywalker1138, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey, it's Valentine's Day.... and then there'll be every other day... Do you love Luke? What's your story?

Here's mine:
    I was a Luke fan seeing the movies in reverse all on TV too! My parents were very protective--even overprotective. It wasn't until I was about 11 years old and saw ROTJ first... then ESB and finally ANH. It wasn't until Special Edition I got to see them all in the theater! I started collecting stuff from rummage sales and collector's sales when I was a preteen already! I even sent out for autographs! I got in touch with Mark Hamill's first agent and became friends with her--and later got to meet her when I moved to CA. While living in CA I also drove passed Mark's place in Malibu on Big Rock Road a few times. That was cool too!

I met Mark Hamill in 1995 at Gen Con. He was my idol! I was sick with strep throat, waited in line for four hours, and then when I got up to meet him nearly fainted! I met his daughter Chelsea and his youngest son, Griffin, too. He signed my life-size Luke standee and drew a heart through Luke's heart and wrote "To Jen with Love, Mark Hamill" I was in shock--and then escourted away from the table by some Klingons (wherefor I hate Star Trek)...

That was my special moment.

What's yours? Was it in the movies? Was it at a Con? Was it through a fan club?
  2. Idaara Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry, I'm a Han Solo/Harrison Ford kinda gal (even if he's making me mad by going out with "twig girl".)
  3. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    Luke's too whiney for me. He is cool, but I can't give up a smuggler/scoundrel/pirate.
  4. marajoan Jedi Knight

star 3
    ditto.
    Although I would not turn down a chance to meet my favorite Jedi.
  5. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey this is the LOVE string not the Hate string.... but you guys should start a Han Solo love string if you're crazier about him---hey, where are all of the Luke fans? Our Treasurer & Vice President are Luke fans--where are you guys anyway?
  6. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Now, Luke is not my favorite. I will admit that. It's Han who has captured my heart, and I am a serious devotee of Leia.

But I do love Luke to a degree. Yeah, he's a little whiney in the beginning, but then again, I might get a little whiney every now and then too if I felt myself somewhat trapped on a binary dustball with a boring future in sight.
    Luke does change in ESB. He is far more confident (but still reckless), and he has matured considerably since he left Tatooine. And hell, I would scream, too, if I found out my father just happened to be the most fearsome dark lord in the universe's history.
    And by ROTJ, he has made a full transformation into a mature young man, and a Jedi to boot. Pretty darn good, I think.

No, he's not my kind of handsome, but he has a wonderful innocence about him that is very comfortable. I definitely wouldn't mind having him as a brother, someone to laugh or joke with, to share experiences, and to grow old with. He is kind and loving, determined and strong, very introspective and intelligent. He is no transparent figure. And the girl who gets to spend the rest of her life with him is very lucky indeed, and should consider herself thus.

He's a great man, and I have always understood why Jenni can be so easily enamored with him. :)
  7. jedisister Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, I fell in love with Luke at the tender age of 4 or 5, the first time I saw Star Wars. As the years went by, he always remained my favorite. I mean I do have other favorites now, but Luke will always be a favorite. I even had an iron-on type t-shirt of ANH Luke with his grin and studly white Tatooine garb and his nice muscular chest showing(I was like 6 or 7 when I had that shirt. :) ) I also had a Luke Skywalker Empire Strikes Back grey jacket...and my most fave. toy was my X-wing...ok enough reminicsing for me [face_blush]
  8. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    I won Luke in a coin toss (or lost Han depending on your point of view).

When A New Hope came out I was into surfing and sail boarding. He looked like he belonged on a beach. I didn?t mind. He?s still my favorite. :D
  9. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anyone interested in joining the International Mark Hamill Fan Club (IMHFC)? I used to be a member and was the official On The Mark (OTM) web author. I intend to join again this year. Sally Sparkman is no longer running the IMHFC and better fans are running the official club now. Also, OTM still exists, and it is run by Mark's first agent, Lisa Cowan.

IMHFC
  10. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Reeseville," Mark's latest film project. The majority of the film, (working title No Tomorrow and Constricted) was shot in Dodge and Jefferson Counties, Wisconsin, in June and July 2002. Mark replaced Rod Steiger as the town coroner, Zeek.

There will be a premiere screening at the Cinequest Film Festival, running 27 February-9 March in San Jose, CA.

Reeseville
  11. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Luke Skywalker will always be an inspiration to me and anyone else facing a lineage of evil.
  12. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks BYOB--he'll be one for me always too :)
  13. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't get the "Luke is a whiner" thing really. Yes, in A New Hope when on Tatooine, he whines a few times. But look at the place, it sucks. I'd whine too. He doesn't whine when auntie and uncle get cooked the way Jeff orders his bacon at Webbs. He says he wants to learn the Force and wack some Imperials. Like the song says, "Aint nothing wrong with that." From then on, Luke becomes a pretty serious freak. By Jedi, he's walking into the Imperial garrison, handing over his saber and willing to sacrifice his life to try and turn back his father. He plans a rescue of Han and even on the ride to the Sarlacc pit, traveling with a blind Han, a cuffed Chewie and a chained Leia, he's all confidence.

Han is full of his own whining. The classic, "It's not my fault" comes to mind. Or when in the Death Star, it's Luke that is willing to run into danger. Han protests that it sounds like suicide. When in Jabba's palace, Han sounds whiney when he offers large sums of money to save his life. He makes up for this with his little speech to Jabba before the sentence is carried out. In all honesty, by the end of Jedi, Luke is the far more confident of the two I would say. So how do you judge a character, by how he started, or how he finished? Yes, he doesn't have the cool lines, the charming smirk or the '65 Mustang of the starship world, but by the time he reaches the first Death Star, most of his whining is done. I think Luke deserves more credit.

D
  14. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
  15. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    I will admit when I was a little girl I thought that Luke was cuter than Han. It was only later when I started thinking that Han is not so bad and his smirk is really sexy. I still like Luke as my hero but Han has my heart.
  16. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    For those of you who didn't realize, Mark Hamill turned 53 on September 25--a belated Happy Birthday!

Latest news on "Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks" is that previews will begin 7 October and the play will open on 29 October. Polly Bergen will be co-starring with Mark Hamill on broadway in NY. It's due to run 21 March- 13 April 2003, in Coconut Grove, FL also.
    [image=http://www.playbill.com/images/photos/sitting.jpg]

Since I work at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts I'm in tune to the broadway events passing our way--not to mention, for those of you who don't know the Milwaukee Theater (which will be twice the size of the PAC) will be opening in November and their first big act will be The Rockets in December. No sign of Mark coming along our way yet.... *sigh* but who knows--he's got family here... he might just stop on by. I only know the lineup through December right now...

GO MARK! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!
  17. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    Jenny- you're so crazy....crazy for Mark Hamill.
  18. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  19. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Twisty Mae and The International Mark Hamill Fan Club both have let me know that:

"Reeseville" (Mark's in it) will be here in Milwaukee, the Milwaukee Independant Film Fest is doing a screening on November 6th at the Oriental Theater at 7:15pm

There are also more showings at the Oriental if I understood the IMHFC correctly.

You can get more info at
    http://www.milwaukeefilmfest.org/
  20. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
  21. FennShysha Jedi Knight

star 1
    I bought Comic Book: The Movie today and enjoyed it quite a bit. Even though it is about comic book fandom, Star Wars fans can relate to it, especially sine the star and director of the movie played Luke Skywalker. There are also some great cameos in the movie from the likes of Kevin Smith, Matt Groening, and three Star Wars actors. The movie does have a B movie feel to it and there seems to be a little too much ad-libbing, but overall I would give the movie three out of four stars.
  22. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    WhooHoo! Comic Book: The Movie rocks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.