main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA The IEFF Cantina

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AboutaSith, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Well, now Matthew's dad (his dad is the one in the hospital) is in the hospital with a kidney stone. They're probably going to have to do surgery to get it out and he's not even at the same hospital as dad/grandpa. At least it's only really really painful and not fatal! Even though it's my "ex" family, I feel very bad for them! Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers! Thanks gang!!

2. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Ouch, Kidney stones. Sorry to hear that.

3. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Is anybody else watching the season premiere of Star Gate 1 and Atlantis?? Ya baby!![face_dancing]

4. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    we just got back from the Lewis observatory in Apple Valley. It was really cool. Never seen Jupiter close up, it was amazing!

5. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Did they have an event going on? Are they open to the public? Do they have different programs? It sounds like it could be a cool place.

6. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    Twice a month they are open to the public for free. The hi desert astronomy society holds at open house at the Lewis observatory. They meet once a month for meetings too and then have special events when there's some celestial event happening. Have you ever watched a meteor shower? The largest one happens every Aug. around the 12th. This is something we have always enjoyed doing. We go lay out in the early morning hours (best hours for viewing are always after midnight) and see how many shooting stars we can count. One year we counted over 1500 while we were out that night. Maybe something we can plan for this group this year if anyone's interested. Have to go where there's no city lights to interfere.

7. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    It sounds like a great idea!! I've sat out several nights during August that past few years. Normally it's been just me and the dogs. It would be great fun to have friends along! My house might be a good place to go for that. No street lights and there's a bathroom close by! I'm willing if anybody wants to set a night!

8. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    sounds good! what's the status with the gift basket stuff?

9. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    With everything Han-shot-first donated, we have enough to fill both baskets!! He was incredibly generous... THANK YOU!! =D=

Anyway, I was going to try to bring it by to you either tomorrow or Sunday. I'll call you tomorrow and see what we can set up. What time do you guys normally get up? I don't want to wake anybody! I-)

10. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    not usually before 9 and I think the guys are going to be up late tonight, so I think probably later than that tomorrow, but you can drop it by whatever time you'd like. Someone will be here.

11. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I'd like to do it tomorrow, but I'll have to see how my day goes. I'm meeting my mom at 9:00 at Hallmark for the Christmas Ornament premier. She buys so much there that she gets a special invitation to go before the store opens on premier day. Then I've got to head down to the Cookie Lee warehouse in Riverside then back home for church. We'll be there at 4:30 if you're interested in coming with us! If not, maybe the Sat. after the CC Matthew and I can go to the 6:30 service and you and Ryan will join us. Anyway, blah, blah, blah, I can tend to go on and on. I give you a call tomorrow!

12. Rogue_Granger

Rogue_Granger Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    Yay for the Lewis Center!!! :) In high school I was lucky enough to be a part of a project through GAVRT (Goldstone-Apple Valley Radio Telescope program) and it was the most increadible expierence! The Lewis Center was one of the major backers for the project. We were a part of the Cassini program (we helped NASA and JPL calibrate some of the insturments on board for the Cassini- Jupiter flyby on it's way to Saturn)

The Discovery Channel started filming a documentary featuring 12 kids out of the thousands with the project, and I was one of those 12 :cool: I was then voted the spokesperson for the 12. It was AMAZING!!! We got to go climb up into the 12 story high telescope and see the radio telescope array. I also got to present our reports and findings at JPL. The show was going to be called Space Patrol, and there was talk that I might continue on with the show in some capacity. Then Sept. 11 happened, and the documentary lost it's budget :(

An-e-Ways, thought I needed to give The Lewis Center some love, since it was mentioned :D

and yes....I am an Uber-Geek.

13. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    wow, that's really cool, rg...sorry that the project fell apart! I wouldn't say you're an uber geek, I'd say really intelligent if you're part of all that and what a cool thing you'll have to talk to your kids about someday. We're just really beginning amateurs in the astronomy stuff but we love to try to take in the vastness and wonder of it all! My dad helped work on the booster rockets that got the first men back off the moon, he was in the Smithsonian for it and Chuck Yegar personally called and asked my dad to come work for him years later (he declined because he didn't want to commute 3-4 hours one way to work). My dad definitely inspired my interest in space so who knows who'll you'll inspire someday!

14. Rogue_Granger

Mar 10, 2003
    That is soooo cool! I've always been into astronomy, and when I heard about the project, I jumped at the chance.

On a side note, my best friends and I got to meet Buzz Aldrin @ the re-opening of Space Mountain at Disneyland last year. We got a picture with him...he was surprised we knew who he was, because he said he was "very happy to have such young and beautiful fans!" (His words-not mine!) LOL! [face_laugh]

The thing with Astronomy is that there are so many facets to study. One of the coolest things about that experience was being able to talk to some of the smartest men on earth about these subjects.

I got to meet Dr. Mike Klein (who was incredibly gracious and did not once talk down to us as children <at 16, I was the oldest kid there>) For those who don't know, Dr. Klein originated the SETI project (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) at NASA, before the project was disbanded and re-instated as a civilian project. It was amazing to talk to him about the current theories in Wormholes, black holes, event horizons, Etc.(all stuff normally classified as "sci-fi"... whatever....). Really, really cool experience.

Edit> Spelling [face_plain] fingers aren't working!

15. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    that's really awesome. We saw Buzz Aldrin and got his book autographed at the Discovery Science Center last year and we met Alan Bean and Wally Schirra and got our pictures taken with them in March at the Grand Slam Sci-fi convention. My son is 13 and I want him to get a chance to hear these men talk about their experiences etc., as they're getting up there in age. There are so few people on the earth that have the experience they do, I just can't even imagine what it would be like to experience space travel first hand and to be among that select few who have that opportunity. I commend you for your knowledge, interests and pursuits!! I'm looking forward to meeting you...who knows maybe one day my son and I will be saying "she used to be in our Star Wars group" when we hear about some amazing project you've been involved with!

16. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    howdy all! speaking of the lewis center...very cool place indeed! I was there when jupiter was getting bombarded. I actually have impact shots from nasa in real time. they were faxing it over to the center. pretty cool for sure. I ended up talking with I forget who but I was there for over an hour, so they gave me the picture. if you've never been, you should go and as far as the meteor thing, sounds great. [face_dancing]

thanks for the mention JF77. anything to help out. and by the way, we can meet up for happy meal toys anytime and i'll catch you if you fall...haha

17. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Thanks, but will you somehow get my door open when I lock my keys in the car again? :oops:

18. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
  19. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    [image=http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/sgca27/Ryan32.jpg]

Look at my cat here. Why does he look so proud? He looks like something on a pyramid wall.

20. Rogue_Granger

Mar 10, 2003
    He looks sneaky to me...Can't trust those feline's you know.... LOL!

21. Rogue_Granger

Mar 10, 2003
    Edit>>> Posted in the wrong thread [face_blush]

22. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    what's that smell? oh yeah...fried pussycat! lol just kidding!

23. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    [image=http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/sgca27/RyanHiss.jpg]

24. Rogue_Granger

Mar 10, 2003
    Awwww! [face_love] Kitties!

25. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Damn it was hot today!!!!!