The IMAX thread

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh, PA' started by Rox, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    from the official site:

Episode II Coming to IMAX Theaters
    September 09, 2002

Size Matters Not -- Except on an IMAX Screen
    This holiday season, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones will be bigger than ever. Lucasfilm Ltd., The IMAX Corporation and Twentieth Century Fox have announced that Episode II will be coming to IMAX theaters in the United States and Canada starting November 1, 2002.

This is not just the projection of the standard theatrical print on an IMAX screen -- the movie will undergo the revolutionary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) process, which enhances the quality of the image and soundtrack to the huge IMAX 15/70 format. This marks the first time IMAX DMR has been used to re-master a film that was digitally captured and created.

"Star Wars: Episode II The IMAX Experience will provide an entirely new way to experience the Star Wars universe," says Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing for Lucasfilm. "For the first time, fans of Star Wars will be able to see all their favorite characters, environments, vehicles and droids in a setting that is up to eight stories high and over a hundred feet wide."

"The combination of Lucasfilm's innovative digital technology and the revolutionary, proprietary IMAX DMR technology will deliver the clear, crisp and sharp images and sound that IMAX theater-goers have grown to expect," says Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs for IMAX Corporation.

"You can't find a movie better suited for the IMAX format," adds Bruce Snyder, President, Domestic Distribution, Fox. "We are thrilled to bring this giant of a film to the giant IMAX screen."

Keep checking starwars.com in the coming weeks for more information about the IMAX release of Episode II.

Someone in town wanna give the Science Center a call? It's long distance for me. Seeing ATOC's in IMAX would be mind blowing, if you thought The Biggest Damn Movie Ever was good then this will blow you away!
  2. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
  3. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ROAD TRIP!! Don't care where its playing we gotta go see this!
  4. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Definately if it doesn't come here ROADTRIP!
  5. Shewski Jedi Master

star 4
    I know my hometown theater has an IMAX screen still- I'll keep an eye out to see when they get it- if Carnegie doesn't have it, Columbus may be a semi-close alternative.
  6. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    O.O
    (see, I have this fetish for IMAX screens.. ) If SW Ep.II is anywhere on an IMAX, I'm going.
    I don't care how, I don't care when.
    Period.
    ROADTRIP! ^_^
  7. Left My Heart In Dagobah Jedi Knight

star 3
    Is it OK if someone from Erie posts here? :)

I was wondering if anyone started a thread about IMAX. I've already bookmarked the schedule for the Omnimax at Carnegie Science Center. According to the latest on TF.N it sounds like it will come to Pittsburgh:

Snyder plans to unspool "Clones" in about 50 Imax commercial venues in the U.S. and Canada, and another 20-30 Imax theaters based in science museums and other institutions.

Can't wait! Definitely worth a 2 hour drive to see. :)
  8. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't care where I wanna go (maybe my dad will tell stacie to be in charge of me again...like friday night)
  9. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    I'll call Carnegie today and see what I can find out
  10. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    If the Carnegie isn't getting it maybe there's an Imax theater in Cleveland that we can go to? Cleveland is a little over an hour from my house. We could all meet at my house and go from there.
  11. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    Sorry, guys. looks like we might be taking a road trip. According to the kid I talked with, they were offered to show it, but they would have to make "drastic and significant changes to their theater, that would cost them more than what they would make." He said it may still happen but he is doubtful, especially since their schedule is booked up.

I'll try again in a couple of weeks.
  12. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    What changes would they have to make??? I mean, they have the IMAX projector unless Lucas is trying to force feed digital on them.
  13. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
    I was talking to someone who worked at the Science Center over the summer, and he said that they showed AOTC there over the Fourth of July weekend. If so, then they might not want to bring it back for a second time.
  14. 1Bobafett14 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'll post again quickly under this title(I scanned the subject titles for IMAX and didn't see any, posted my thread, then read this one-my bad)

Anyhow, I anit gonna hold my breath on this one. They never brought Fantasia 2000 to Pgh. I did some volunteer consulting work a few years back for a good freinds mother who works for McKinsey downtown, and had some focus groups with the folks from the Science Center. Long story short, I'd be surprised to see them spend any $ on AOTC. That place isn't very inventive or imaginative when it comes to major projects such as this-that place is run bery poorly-and still losing money I might add. Also, Apollo13 is scheduled to hit IMAX theaters across the country within the next few weeks, and I'd be surprised to see that in the Burgh also.-but we'll see. I hope I'm wrong on this one.

I'm talking with some folks from the other groups I'm in(about 6 real good groups right now, 3 local... Whew! When this hits IMAX, we'll probably be taking a road trip somewhere(well, I know I am)-already have some possiblities as far as road trips are concerned-always have fun on the SW road trips!

I'll try and keep everyone in the loop, as I find out more. Later all.

P.S.-met one of the guys who worked on the SW cups while I was on the Dixie plant tour-pretty cool! I was hoping on a longshot to score some artwork or something(anything) for the collection-no luck ;^( They took us up to the art dept. and..surprise.. one of the guys was also working on the design for next yrs. plastic cups for PNC Park-I'll let you in on the secret.....it's gonna be a Roberto Clememte cup...shhhh....you're not supposed to know yet ;^) He said no one gave him a player to put on it, so he just picked Roberto, he asked us Pittsburghers what we thought.....it looked pretty sweet.
  15. 1Bobafett14 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    By the way, King of Prussia, which is close to Philadelphia has an IMAX which may get AOTC. I have a handful of collecting buddies out that way also, so we may incorporate it into a weekend-movie/SW meeting/SW gathering/SW party/etc.. I'm hoping for another location closer(Pgh. still would just be uber-cool).....but at least it's a location.

I'll keep updating....
  16. Left My Heart In Dagobah Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great Lakes Science Center in Cleveland has an Omnimax theater. But there's nothing mentioned on their schedule yet.
  17. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    Does any one know what changes the Science Center would have to make to get AotC?
  18. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    The person I spoke with didn't say
  19. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love the science center, but they don't seem very interested in doing 'real' films at the Omnimax. Another example is that Disney's Beauty and the Beast was released last year for Omnimax's and the science center passed.

I sense a road trip in the future, if we hope to see AOTC on the BIG BIG screen.
  20. 1Bobafett14 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I could be wrong, but I',m pretty sure I remember reading a while back that it has something to do with adapting the current IMAX to accept the new digital format.

At C2 they showed about 8 min. of AOTC footage using a digital projector.

1st-It is absolutely awsome-it is so crisp and clear its amazing-think back to when you listened to tapes and then made the switch to CD's how crisp and clear they were.

2nd-the projector is huge! just looking at it you know it aint cheap.

If you ever have gone to a IMAX movie you can watch the current system in action and you'll immediately see that its a reel to reel system. With the digital technology, there is no more actual "film" being used. (well thats it in a nutshell)
  21. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    So then there are at least 50 IMAX theaters that have a digital IMAX projector and if not then is Lucas expecting them to convert like he expected regular movie theaters to?
  22. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    I believe there is also one in Harrisburg's science center- I went to one in like 10th grade- I'll check up on this, but I know they showed Fantasia 2000..
    I'll have to see if I can dig up the name/number of the science center then.
  23. 1Bobafett14 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Yep, thats about it in a nutshell Fluke.

I have my feelers out there. I have a list of IMAX Theaters within about a 5hr. drive of Pgh. I'm not going to post until I know for sure which theaters will be showing it(anything at this point would be pure speculation) and who knows, Pgh. may still surprise us. Anyhow I have my contacts between the Ohio group, the PA group and some website contacts in Va and WV keeping thier eyes peeled. If it's around, we'll know about it. I'll post once I know for sure.

Later,
    Bob(bobafett14) MTFBWY (May the force be with yinz)
  24. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I have gotten word from a very reliable source that we are getting the IMAX version here in Pittsburgh. Should be confirmed any day now.
  25. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.