main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The immense continuity issue with Grievous's strength

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Graves101, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Genuine question for CTC: (I have this unfortunate habit of asking questions that make me look like i'm being an ***, trust me I'm not) do you find the ROTS duel with Count Dooku unrealistic with 2 against one, as you can only block one saber (sword) at a time?

for the record as a sword enthusiast (I think I've mentioned this in other threads) lightsaber combat threads are my favourite and love hearing peoples opinions on them.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    (?!) well, I suppose which ever way you look at it, killing someone is never going to be done in a 'nice' way. But in regards to Dooku, he was a Sith and a generally powerful one at that. Bit different from throwing droids around. I.e, he too uses the force and wields a lightsabre.

3. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Kit Fisto was described as one of the most skilled/powerful duelists in the Order, so it's not really a surprise he could hold his own against Grievous
    ---

ROTS butchered that up pretty badly didn't they? :p

Sitara likes this.
  4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Where was Fisto described as that? In the EU?

5. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    yes

and in the TCW show,

he held his own quite well against Grievous

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Hey, at least Kit Fisto was able to perform a simple block... the same can't be said for the others.

Anyways, it seems a little inconsistant that Obi-Wan prolonged the fight, when all he needed to do was use the Force. In the Clone Wars, it wasn't the same. Grievous was such an overwhelming opponent that the other Jedi could barely focus on blocking his strikes, let alone using the Force. I was a little disappointed to see his arms get chopped off so soon in the movie, but I guess it's because they wanted to make the fight seem more realistic.

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I find most movie fights to be unrealistic.

8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Hey, at least Kit Fisto was able to perform a simple block... the same can't be said for the others.
    ---

true but he he left himself wide open for an attack which ended up getting him killed :p

but I suppose that's true for Palps, many many times does he leave himself open, butthat's another topic :p

Edit: CTC: you have a point

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Fisto in TCW and EU was when he was elaborated on further AFTER ROTS then. So in the film he was just another Jedi. The audience was unaware he was supposed to be adept at sabre duels. So clearly they couldn't have 'butchered' the idea.

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'll say this for the Dooku fights, in both he manages to incapacitate one or the other rather quickly so that he is able to concentrate on one opponent.

11. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    JCuk: I'm not up on my EU, so I've no idea if Kit Fisto being a magnificent fighter was known before ROTS was out or not

CTC: that's why I liked the Dooku fights, and probably why Grievous did an ok job, as he was taught by Dooku himself

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I like the Maul fights the best in the PT.

Park sells it well

Sitara likes this.
  13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's not it. Real fights are not cinematic. Someone mentioned Samari before, Samari fights were usually over within the first few strikes. They weren't epic battles, they were trained to kill quickly.

Real fighting doesn't look like the movies

Jcuk likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    This is what you posted. How am I supposed to interpret that?

16. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    CTC: is correct real sword fights lasted seconds.

Jcuk: interpret that anyway you want, I don't care :p

it was an offbeat comment,

ie, in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter

17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Did you ever see how the Samurai used to test the sharpness of their new swords CTC? It was, well, pretty brutal! (Nothing to do with the thread but thought I'd ask seeing as though they were mentioned)

18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They would test them on bodies of criminals, fulfilling the demand for bodies was a lucrative business in medieval Japan

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah straight from the shoulder, across the torso (through the rib cage) and then out. Always been fascinated with Feudal Japan. Shoguns/ Samurai/ Ninja. Quality.

20. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    He was elaborated on in the EU a lot before ROTS and TCW, as seen in the micro-series, Republic comics, ROTS novel, etc. Many people familiar with the EU would have known about him being a Council member and a strong Jedi. Being a fan-favourite also works in his favour.

21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hands up I was unaware of this.

22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    The only problem is we never see the Jedi do anything like that in the films, they probably don't teach how or even have the ability to just crush someone with the force. Now the Sith might, Vader does crush his medic droids.

23. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012
    No. -Darth Boba

24. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    When the microseries introduced Grievous, it was trying to establish him as a major threat for the then-upcoming ROTS film. By the time TCW came out, Grievous was already an established character.

25. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    What? Quit reverse trolling me!