main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Imperial Knights thread *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Thanks Jon. Your post highlights a problem I've seen popping up recently on this thread: people are making a lot of judgments about a person's qualities - Roan Fel as a peace-time ruler, Sia as a leader, Veed's motivations - based on, really, no pertinent information.

I'm interested in seeing how the Imperial Knights operated during the war. Did they actively fight Jedi? Did they work closely with Sith?

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, I have a feeling that Roan Fel may be tainted by events, even those that were kinda beyond his control.

Any alliance to defeat the Sith would have to encompass the "Big Three" of the galaxy- Imperial (including the IK), New Jedi Order, and Galactic Alliance. Of those three, two don't have many reasons to trust Fel- the NJO and GA. Yet, his daughter- compassionate, beautiful, idealistic- would have a far better chance to be a figure at the head of such a organization.

And John, I recall that several months back you brought up the point of what would Fel do when he figures out that the Sith manipulated the war. Would he be willing to let so many worlds leave his Empire once they realized that the GA and Jedi were right in backing the Vong?

BTW- we know who leads the Empire (Both Sith-Imperial and Loyalist-Imperial). But, who is the leader of the GA? A new Chief of State? Who leads the Jedi? A new council? A grand master?

Many fun and exciting questions to think about. :D

--Adm. Nick

3. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    There was a Council. Kol was on it. Whether it's still in operation is worth asking. It also doesn't seem that many Jedi are hanging out with the GA - they're on the run all over the place. Why not seek refuge with the GA? I'm thinking they may hold some hard feelings towards the Jedi for pressuring the GA to support the Vong, leading to this whole mess.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Or the Jedi might lead it.

It'd be nice to see some genuine and unconditional support for the Jedi.

5. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    While I agree that it'd be nice (seriously, people...have they ever lead you astray??!) it's almost definitely not the case. The Jedi are lying low with bounties on their heads, Hosk's being shady and mysterious, and the Jedi have to convene in secret on Daluuj, with Rasi Tuum mentioning that "it's dangerous for more than one Jedi to convene in one place, these days." It doesn't seem that the Jedi's place is with the GA, right now.

6. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    The Daluuj fiasco gave at least to me the idea that there is no longer any Jedi Order in existence and the situation is exactly the same as during the Jedi Purge: Solitary Jedi and small groups of Jedi hiding and running around and co-operation between them seems to be rare and uncommon. Of course, this is the reason why Wolf and Luke want Cade to accept his destiny. If there would be a Jedi Council in existence, Cade would not probably be in such a high demand and the Jedi so eager for him to get his act together.

The Galactic Alliance remnant probably has no Jedi - at least any whose identity is known. After all, it will serve the role of the Rebel Alliance in Legacy and the few surviving OJO Jedi the Rebels then had were not open about their identity. And if they would have Jedi, then why would they need our three Jedi heroes? I personally guess that the GA does not probably get huge amount of screen time - at least until our heroes stop their soul searching and find firm ground under their feet and start fighting the Sith.

If there is one place in the galaxy where one could except to find more than a few Jedi together, then that place would probably be Zonama Sekot - if it still exists and was not destroyed in the end of the war. If it exists, I doubt we will see much of it, if it all, because it served the role of Deux ex Machina once in the end of the NJO and could probably do so in Legacy too - and even when Legacy is really a puzzle whose pieces are a mix of different SW eras, I doubt that this will hold true about the main plots events to this extent. So, most likely very little or no Zonama Sekot and Yuuzhan Vong. But it would be the perfect hiding place for Jedi, the only planet where they would not have to be afraid of getting betrayed and sold to the Sith.

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    But the question remains: why doesn't the GA have any Jedi? There are plenty running around, apparently far more than were around during the years of Palpatine's purge. Why don't they go to seek refuge on GA held worlds? Why aren't they helping the GA fight Krayt? Why doesn't the GA resurrect the Great River? Why does Master Tuum question the wisdom of meeting at all, rather than simply meeting on an out of the way, non-GA, possibly Sith-held world? There's something going on here between the Jedi and the Galactic Alliance.
    This is all assuming Zonama Sekot wasn't a primary target during the Sith-Imperial War.

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    But the question remains: why doesn't the GA have any Jedi? There are plenty running around, apparently far more than were around during the years of Palpatine's purge. Why don't they go to seek refuge on GA held worlds? Why aren't they helping the GA fight Krayt? Why doesn't the GA resurrect the Great River? Why does Master Tuum question the wisdom of meeting at all, rather than simply meeting on an out of the way, non-GA, possibly Sith-held world? There's something going on here between the Jedi and the Galactic Alliance.

From out-of-universe point of view, if the GA would have Jedi, they would not need Cade. So GA must not have any Jedi. How this is then justified in in-universe? The authors have claimed that there are lots of Jedi left, but if one takes this claim with a pinch of salt, then it could be that there are only a few Jedi around and many of them might not have the kind of skills needed to be use for GA in the typical Jedi role. The survivors might be healers, youngsters and such people. Personally I think that the intention is that there are a only very few Jedi left in the galaxy and the claims otherwise are just attempts to calm the fans who dislike the whole Purge re-run.

Then: Does GA even hold worlds? Perhaps they just have fleets in space? Perhaps it is almost impossible for various reasons for surviving Jedi to reach the GA worlds if they have any? But, more likely the GA remnant blames Jedi for the war and do not trust them. Simple enough answer. Or perhaps there has been Jedi among the GA Core Forces, but they have either died in combat or been betrayed and sold to the Sith and so the surviving Jedi have decided to go on their own way.

This is all assuming Zonama Sekot wasn't a primary target during the Sith-Imperial War.

I considered this too and so mentioned the possibility that it could have been destroyed. Its location in 130 ABY is marked on the Dark Horse map they released last year, so it was still in existence then. But destroying it would of course follow the spirit of Legacy - not that destroying everything in existence previously and making it the starting point of a new series would not be common enough in science fiction and fantasy genre. In the same manner, perhaps the YV were given the Yevetha treatment and they all were killed during the war in a genocide.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    "A few" is subjective, but even if they're useless to the GA (as able people never are to resistance movements) it doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't go to them unless there was some extenuating circumstance.
    Makes sense.
    Possible, though the Empire would have to catch Zonama Sekot, first.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, we don't really know the state that the Galactic Alliance is in during the Legacy-era. It is very possible that they are in total Rebel Alliance mode- mobile fleets, hidden bases, secret shipyards, etc.

Furthermore, we have no evidence that shows the New Jedi Order isn't still working with the GA. It is entirely possible that groups of Jedi hide with the Alliance fleet. Personally, I would love it if a Jedi training ship was hidden with the GA fleet- a sort of mobile Praxeum to keep young Jedi safe.

I suspect that Legacy #9-10 will show us the state of the relationship between the NJO and GA. If Jedi are present with GA representatives during their meeting with Fel's ambassador, our questions will be answered.

--Adm. Nick

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No offense but there's no reason that many Jedi might not be fighting with alliance. Shado and Wolf have to go somewhere between hunts for Jedi Knights so why not to the alliance?

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    My point exactly.

(See post above) :p

--Adm. Nick

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    A real question is why Wolf doesn't want to rally behind Marasiah? Is he afraid that he'll empower the Empire that way? Is he afraid that she won't allow his beloved GFFA to rise again?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suppose it comes down to trust.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Very possible. Despite the state of the GA in the Legacy of the Force-era, the following period (almost a century, IIRC) was marked by a peaceful galaxy with the GA and Empire living side-by-side. Legacy #0 and #1 makes it clear that the GA was the main galactic power during this period.

We also know that the relationship between the GA and Jedi was close during this period, illustrated by the fact that the GA listened to the Jedi's advice to support the Vong.

Wolf may indeed feel some loyalty to the GA. Personally, I would love to see the GA and Jedi maintaining that close relationship in the Legacy comics.

--Adm. Nick

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm looking forward to learning the explanation behind the Fel dynasty skunk stripe someday.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Soonitir Fel's wife died and his second wife was Polgara.

18. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Who?

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Belgariad Sorceress. David Eddings character from fantasy series. Had white strip in her hair as most defining feature.

More contemporary reference.

Soonitor Fel's wife died and his second wife was Rogue.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Why can't we say that Isard finally got her wish and slept with Soontir Fel before Lusankya hit the worldship?

:p

21. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    I must spend too much time on this site. I never get cultural references.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm sure the Jedi would love that. Apparently, though, if the Jedi pine for the GA, the pining is not reciprocal.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=14-071&p=1

My impressions of Roan Fel have expanded. Instead of being an evil cool as a cucumber manipulator, I withdraw that statement. Instead, Roan Fel seems to be Caligula as in he's not entirely playing with a full deck. His attitude towards the Grand Moff seems to be one part "I'm going to sexually assault you or kill you", one part "I'm a Good Little Jedi", and one part "Damnit! Why didn't I think of the Sith plot first!"

I do love Morlish Veed though and how he actually says he's going to save the lives of the GA.

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    :confused::oops:

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Go Soontir :p
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/RogueX3.jpg]
    =P~ =P~

As far as why Wolf is so dead-set on recruiting Cade back into the Jedi as a rallying point, it's my opinion that part of the "Legacy" is that there is something magical about the Skywalker name, going all the way back to "the Hero With No Fear" depicted in the outstanding prologue of the RotS novelization. If "Joe Sentient," let alone the Jedi Knights, learn that there is still a Jedi named Skywalker running loose, it becomes an "oh noes!1!!1!" for Bad Guys(tm) everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.