main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Imperial Remnant Fan Club: Order & Justice For The Common Good

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Robimus, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Since many people seem to be interested in the First Order...
    What do you think of General Hux's age in relation to the position he helds?

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    He does seem to be fairly young. Then again, a lot of FO staff appears to be in their mid/late 20s or so, iitc. Like some bridge personnel, or that officer that reports to Kylo Ren before that lightsaber tantrum scene.

I wonder the fleet staff also underwent rigorous training ("programmed from birth") like the stormtroopers. A lot of FO personnel from TFA is young enough to have been recruited at an early age, when the First Order rose to power.

3. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Agreed. In comparison the Imperial officers seen in the OT and the EU, some of the officers in TFA are younger.
    If we want to create an in-universe explanation, then there are several options.

Like you said, the New Order could have been training officers from a very young age.
    Still, it is also possible the age of the officers tells us something of the New Order as an organization.
    Maybe, the First Order just is desparate to beat the Resistance. Therefore, it is using every personnel available.
    Also, many fanatic organization seem to have mainly success with younger people who are more easily influenced.

What do you think of the change in gender? In the OT, only male Imperial officers and stormtroopers were shown.

4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That Daala is now canon, but we haven't seen her onscreen yet? :p

Seriously, I think there were female Imperials in the OT, but they just weren't shown onscreen. I read somewhere that females were always intended to be part of the Stormtrooper Corps, at least, by the time of the OT. The Legends EU was very biased in terms of Imperial officers and Moffs, but the current canon, not so much (Moff Mors, Captain/Admiral Rae Sloane).

General Immodet likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's brought up in The Making Of Star Wars (A New Hope) in the appendix at the back.

General Immodet and PCCViking like this.
  6. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Very interesting, I didn't know that. Still, it is weird no women Imperials were ever shown onscreen in the rest of the OT.
    So, gender probably still played some role.

Do you think we will ever see non-human stormtroopers of officers such as in Legacy?

7. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Probably not. While Rebels has shown non-human Inquisitors, the First Order seems to have inherited the pro-human bias of the Legends Empire.

8. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    What do we know about Supreme Leader Snoke's species?

9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd say we don't even know what Snoke's species is, yet.
    Lots of speculation that he could even be a Croke.
    (Speculation: Tagged for safety).

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To me it looks like he comes from Delos :p

General Immodet likes this.
  11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Does that mean...

he would like Croke-Cola? :p

GrimdarkRose and Joseon194 like this.
  12. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This is true. We'll see what happens. ;) I am hoping for a broader range of discussion topics now, with all the new factions and stories in addition to Legends.

It's hard to judge this just yet. But, my money is on them being very pro-human, pro-humanoid at the very least.
    I don't think so, but I can see where they are coming from. Personally, I'm hoping it's a new species.

RE: Women in the Empire, I'm looking forward to seeing more women now with the NuCanon. Of course we had a few I'm still hoping to see make a return, but I'm happy so far with seeing multiple female characters in different roles. :)

13. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Indeed, the diversity in FO is admirable, though it was present in Legends too. Especially later on, in Legacy.
    Lack of it is probably a reflection of the times. I don't recall it was mentioned that the Empire was ever particularly exclusive, except when it came to non humans.

14. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I mostly agree with this.

Even then the Empire didn't really do anything but lack non-humans in the films, which bewildered me for ages because they worked with alien bounty hunters despite the supposed bias. And Firmus didn't say "aliens, we don't need their scum", he said "bounty hunters", which made me even more confused. Then, of course, we have Palpatine's government with Mas Amedda and Sly Moore. Everything seemed so...neutral. I never understood the enslaving and such from that point on. Sure, exclude them from the Corps for obvious reasons, but it makes no sense otherwise. IMO. And it gets worse when we get into the sexism that makes little sense when you consider the Rebellion's lack of women, too. That's my biggest beef with any story in the Legends EU with the Empire. This horrible, seemingly random bias against women/non-humans and tendency to enslave aliens. :p

The problem is they are continuing some of the anti-alien bias in new material. I could excuse the older stuff, since the whole bias thing started before the PT. But nowadays? C'mon. People can still be evil without being slavers and negating what I see as sufficient proof they weren't anti-alien. It doesn't even make sense sometimes...randomly exterminating planets all the time because of aliens? How is that going to strengthen an Empire? How is nearly everyone within its ranks that stupid and/or kicks-kittens-for-fun evil? :p

I'm interested to know if anyone has a view on this, too.

15. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    In the old EU, Carnor Jax had non-humans enlisted into the military because the Empire was losing its advantage over the New Republic.
    Although Pellaeon is always credited for being more tolerant towards non-humans, he probably just saw through what Jax already started in the past.
    Any thoughts on this?

Also, do you think in the new EU it is possible for an Imperial Remnant-like fraction to exist next to the First Order?

Gamiel likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It looks as if First Order took over the rump Empire in the known Galaxy, unhappily. I would like to see the Empire overthrow the First Order at some point.

But that works well with old canon if you're inclined to merge them as Pellaeon retired at some point after the Vong War, for Snoke to take over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  17. Joseon194

Joseon194 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2015
    The first order also seems to have adopted the Empires love of superweapons with glaring weaknesses...

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  18. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    As Sinre says, from TFA & related materials, FO seems to be what's left of the Empire in GFFA. **However**, this does not exclude a certain faction allied with the Chiss, lurking and prospering in the depths of the Unknown Regions... ;)

Indeed. But I find über super mega weapons are a bit passe. Thrawn could have managed things much more efficiently without all the mess and drama. So artistically. :)

19. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

As Mara and Luke said in the Hand of Thrawn, superweapons weren't Thrawn's style. His style was to rancor roll some brilliant strategy over his opponents. :D

Tim Battershell and Amon_Amarth like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside working for Thrawn and not reversing what Carnor Jax had started, what examples have we of Pellaeon being more tolerant towards non-humans?

21. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here. :)

I feel like the Empire could do so much more than just use superweapons, but nooooo. :p

Amon_Amarth and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    In my one canon Pellaeon overthrows the First Order when he heads back home in 40 ABY. As you would expect him to do!

23. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    I think he's pretty young for the responsibilities given him. Hence the obvious passion in his speeches and the tension between him and Kylo Ren.

Agreed :p

24. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    One of my three canons is your one canon, so I am in complete agreement with the idea.

My other two canons are not really canon at all, from an EU perspective, but in those cases I most definitely have the Empire still attempting to retain their standing...even if it involves some scheming and subversion. It only makes sense. :p

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I realised I could have summarised One Canon as 'everything post-RotJ and pre-DNT is four years earlier' and then everything 'post-NJO stays where is'. So much simpler than 2400 words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.