main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Imperial Remnant Fan Club: Order & Justice For The Common Good

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Robimus, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Anyone cosplaying Soontir Fel gets a salute from me :)

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    There was a couple cosplaying as Soontir and Syal at the first Celebration Europe. It was hilarous, cause a Wedge cosplayer was often photobombing their shots. :p

General Immodet and Scapro Tyler like this.
  3. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    Dam I miss all the funny stuff :(

4. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    So I am curious.

How does everyone think that the New Cannon Imps compare to the EU Imps?

5. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    My vote is the old EU is still the best for simply having Thrawn plus my fav Soontir Fel :)

6. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Fair enough.

I will admit I am sort of liking a bit of the New Cannon as they are not just "old white men" as the bad guys and they are less Xenophobic you know?

7. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    I'm crossing my fingers Thrawn is lifted into the new cannon as he needs to be in a movie! :)

8. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I think it is quite likely. Thrawn is an Alien and a bad ass. It would make sense.

9. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    All they need to do is break out the blue paint :)

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or find a Pantoran with red-eye disease.

General Immodet and Amon_Amarth like this.
  11. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
  12. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I think the old EU commented on diversity in a clever way. Palpy's Empire was portrayed as xenophobic and anti-alien. Same for the Sith in the KOTOR era. These regimes considered humans above all, while not making a distinction between humans (like our RL society often does), cause we're all the same species. And in that way, it tackled the issue of diversity and people needing to be more accepting of fellow sentients in a unique way. It showed a social issue, in space, thus making the readers think about own societies. Of course, there was room for improvement on this, EU needed more diverse human characters. Yet when most of these original stories were written, the overall awareness of the importance of diversity wasn't as high as it is nowadays.

That said, I don't want the gentleman in a glorious white cape from the Rogue One trailer to end up being a *literally whitewashed* version of Thrawn. ;)

Darth Aphrodite likes this.
  13. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015

Could not of put it better myself :)

14. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    That makes sense to me.

I don't mind the idea that the Empire is a Human-centric organization. I actually like the whole xenophobic idea. I just don't want to be a white male only run organization. Lets have some diversity among the humans themselves.

15. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The old EU gave a more nuanced view on the Galactic Empire. Yet, TFA portrayed the First Order as an extremist organization. Even though many radical Imperial fractions existed in the old EU, the Imperial Remnant wasn't shown as such. In my opinion, the new canon needs an equivalent to Imperial Remnant.

If you are interested in diversity, some discussions in-thread have dealt with that issue.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Well, we've seen more than just white males in the NEU Empire/First Order, albeit only in novels and comics: Rae Sloane (black female Star Destroyer captain, then admiral); Moff Mors (female Moff, not seen in the old EU until Daala forced the Remnant to accept her reforms); plus, female Stormtroopers; female First Order officers besides Captain Phasma.

Iron_lord and Scapro Tyler like this.
  17. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree fully. Its great.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

The first female Moff we saw (apart from self-declared Moffs like Leonia Tavira) was in NJO:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crowal

though in LOTF: Invincible, one of Daala's conditions for not going after the Moff Council for various atrocities, was that half the new Moffs appointed to the Council be female.

It's possible that Daala's first reforms in Darksaber were what made it possible for Crowal to rise to that position.

Amon_Amarth and PCCViking like this.
  19. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    I tend to find people say they don't care much for Daala with rather shallow responses that she's no Thrawn but personally I'm quite the fangirl :)

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  20. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    In my opinion, Daala has been portrayed in too many different ways. I think the writers using her as a character should have cared more about continuity.

Scapro Tyler and Darth Aphrodite like this.
  21. Darth Aphrodite

Jun 17, 2015
    Sadly true :( but I still like her :)

General Immodet likes this.
  22. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Spot on. Her characterization had its switches between the initial appearances and LOTF.

Speaking of female Imperials, let's not forget Ysanne Isard. She's had an... interesting temper. xD But I really enjoyed her as a villain in the X-Wing and especially later in the Rogue Squadron comics.

23. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Yes, in my opinion the Rogue Squadron comic series only became interesting when Ysanne Isard and Sate Pestage were introduced. They brought politics into a comic series dealing with the adventures of starfighter squadron.

The Legacy comic series also came up with many female Imperials, especially on Roan Fel's side of the Empire. Which one of them is your favourite?

24. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I've always been a huge fan of Gunn Yage of the Skull Squadron. :tie: I guess the character was made in hommage to Starbuck / Kara Thrace; Battlestar Galactica was just airing around the time that Legacy comics started getting published.
    Anyhow, TIE squadron sass brought back a bit of X-Wing series nostalgia and it was pretty fun. Also, Gunn's heritage is almost getting into soap opera territory, but I thought it was neatly done. The series was called Legacy after all. ;) Her dynamics with her father, and later with Morrigan and Cade, were pretty interesting. Boy, it could NOT have been easy to be a part of *that* family... :p

25. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    It would be amusing to see how the family members acted towards one another after the events in Legacy: War. A happy family, I am sure... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.