main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The importance of non-jedi humans in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MOC Vober Dand, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've just finished watching all six movies and something I noticed was how much more depth the story seems to have in terms of character interaction when there were strong, believable human characters involved who aren't jedi or sith. In TPM and AOTC there weren't really any characters like this and I think this was a real weakness. In ROTS I thought Jimmy Smit's Bail really added some weight to the story and provided a counterbalance to the jedi characters and by the time we hit the OT there's obviously Han, but also Lando and others. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I see where you're going. But since it's Star Wars, you have to have an expanded Universe. If you limited yourself to human characters as part of the main cast, or even as extras in the background, it takes away from this imaginary world that is supposed to be full of different varieties of aliens.

3. Jedi_872

Jedi_872 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005
    I think DarthDuckie means non-droids, non-Force users.

I agree that the lack of these make the PT weaker since the Jedi have no emotions or personal lives to draw us in. However, I understand why this had to be the case.

4. Enshu-Atsukau

Enshu-Atsukau Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2005
    I don't really agree. I mean, human non-Jedi are indeed important. Where I don't agree is when you say there is a lack of them in the two first episodes. What about Padme, for a start ? What about Shmi ? What about Panaka and the Council of Naboo ? I could mention Owen, Beru and Clieg, but their role is too small. It is true that in AOTC, Padme is the only main character that fit your description. Yet she has a great role in that movie.

5. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The Lars' role is too small, but the Naboo council and Panaka are okay? I suppose the people outside the Opera House count as okay too then? For Human non-force users I would say you are overlooking the obvious: Jango.

I completely agree with the original poster that a few "regular joes" would have added something to the PT. It would have shown a bit of the effect the Jedi and their actions were having.

On the other hand, the story isn't about the "little people". It's about the Jedi, so that's what is focused on. In fact, now that I think about it, the story unfolds perfectly. GL takes us from a "regular joe" with friends and family, then follows him along as he is isolated from the rest of the galaxy. In a way we are experianceing the same thing Anakin is in his life. We quickly get to the point where we see (have) no interaction with the regular folks of the galaxy, all of our dealings are with the elite and the Force powered. It's because of this that Padme now seems so important. She is a link to the "real world", a regular person that Anakin can relate to.

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I wish somehow (And I have NOOOO idea where it would fit) Bail Organa would have been more involved in the PT. He reminds me of a Male Padme, except older and doesn't have a direct attchment towards the Jedi (As Padme has Anakin). He was just doing his job and truly believed in the republic. He did seem to have some link to the Jedi, but it was because they held similar ideals, not because he was Smits-en (haha) by them.

Carnage

7. prefontaine

prefontaine Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    This is why it is unfortunate that the Rebel Alliance scenes were cut from ROTS. This was an important aspect of the story that didn't center on Force users, yet it was overlooked as not being important. Yet a quick scanning of all six films clearly shows that non-force users are indeed extremely important (Han shooting down the TIE fighters over the first Death Star, saving Luke on Hoth, Lando "We're getting outta here" Calrissian, the rebel strike force bringing down the shield around DS II, Bail saving Yoda, etc.). Without these individuals who are opposed to the New Order, Luke stands no chance in bringing Anakin Skywalker back into the light. And yet this was cut, presumably due to time constraints, thus illustrating my contention that AOTC should have been the first film of the PT, so that some of these other characters could be fleshed out a little more in subsequent films.

8. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, I'm not saying that there aren't any in the PT. They just don't seem to work as well as in the OT as far as providing a more "Ëarthly" point of view. That was what was so good about Han. In amongst all ther earnestness of Luke, Leia and Ben was this guy who was interested in making a buck and chatting up girls. As for Padme, although she was pivotal to the story, IMO she's one of the most disappointing characters in all the films. Portman just never really fired in SW. Glimpses of what she can do in ROTS, but otherwise pretty ordinary.

9. dark_jedi_order

dark_jedi_order Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    I think that is what George Lucas was going for; showing a major contrast between the OT and the PT.

In the PT there was order and justice where the main characters centered mainly on Jedi and politicians. When Order 66 was enforced and the Jedi were nearly wiped out, it showed the fall of the Jedi Order. When the Empire was formed the Senate basically lost all of its power as well. This is why there aren?t a lot of politicians or a large band Jedi in the OT. Everything has literally gone to hell.

So desperate times called for desperate measures, and throughout most of the OT the main characters were usually farmboys, rogues, smugglers and maybe a politician or a Jedi here or there. Later, as we see the saga come to a close, all of those characters eventually became Generals, Knights and leaders, once again returning to the PT state.

10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I agree with that in terms of the story. I just think that in terms of story telling and film making (particularly character interactions) that some contrast of outlook, motivation and attitude is a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.