main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The importance of the "melting pot" sequence

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Gry Sarth, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Incidentally, the divorce rate spiked up right as these soldiers were returning home...

Hmm...

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Jake_Barnes

God wonderful point there! And what does Padme do when she's knocked out by sand? She brushes it off herself and races off to help Anakin.

Quicksand can also be a metaphor for Anakin's battle with the Dark Side in the film. It seduces him, the more he struggles the more it constricts him. It isn't until Padme declares her love that Anakin refocuses himself and helps to calm him, allowing himself to at least momentarily break free of it's clutches. Of course when she's gone the quicksand takes hold again.

Gry-Sarth- that's exactly a point (parellel w/ WW2 marriages) I've made before.

3. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I think we can draw a paralel between Anakin & Padmé sudden marriage at the beginning of the Clone Wars, to how a lot of soldiers get married right before being shipped to combat in a war, such as WW2...

YUP!!
    This has been covered a lot on that other Love Story thread. The one that seems to get a bit out of hand every know and then. ;).

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

YOu an me both.. :D

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    hehe.. and in the case of Anakin... talk about a divorce...

I'm also very curious about how the Council will react to the wedding... could Anakin be expelled? That was hinted to in Ep2...

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm also very curious about how the Council will react to the wedding... could Anakin be expelled? That was hinted to in Ep2...

(bangs head against desk) damn 34 months of waiting!!!!

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    34...months?

Blargh.

7. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    (bangs head against desk) damn 34 months of waiting!!!!

Gonna be a LOOONNNNNGGGG three years..

sigh

:D

8. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Who's ready to start camping out in line? :D 8-}

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well don't camp out- go in the theater and watch Clones if you can still find it! Enjoy it while you can!

10. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I'll act as the basher:

"What are you guys thinking? Stupid nerds, you're reading way too much into it! Lucas has no idea what he is doing and there is no way he could possibly have thought that far ahead! Lucas doesn't know the meaning of symbolism! He's become shallow and all he cares about is money! He just threw in the factory scene at the last minute so he could get more rich from video games and he has no imagination whatsoever! It's a dumb scene totally copied from video games! You people have no lives but sit around and gush about your favorite movies. Wake up nerds and welcome to real world. Quit posting on these forums if all you want to do is gush about a movie. You need different opinions from people like me to tell you this movie sucks."

P.S. For those of you who aren't familiar with me, I'm a gusher so don't start flaming me.

11. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    ...not a problem for me, it's still on it's second week... grrr

It BETTER be a REAL worldwide release for Ep3!!!

12. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Naw G-S, I'll just get advanced tickets again . . .. :D

You know, I thought about it like that when I read the novel, but it never even occured to me to write it out on the boards. Good job!

There's lots of symbolism with Anakin in this scene too. Even with the music.

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Ahh the signs of a true Clones nut- it's been out 2 weeks and G-S has seen it 4 times already!

He is one of us....

14. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    you will like it here. You are like us now. Discussions like this make you want to go out and see it ....again.. never mind that some of us have already memorized entire scene. There is alays somethign new to go watch for..

I think people at West Acres think I work there or something..

15. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    In response to Jake_Barnes' post on the first page...great post too! :D

16. T_C_1_4

T_C_1_4 Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2002
    I think I will go waste my life some more and camp-out near Hoyts, with more than enough canned beans, a poster of Natalie when she was nude at the beach, a Count Dooku light -saber(to protect myself), and to top it off, a replica of Anakin's Airspeeder to get there.

17. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    IamZam, I AM one of you. If you don't remember me you must be new here. I had to flee this place over two years ago in order to stay totally spoiler-free. Now that the movie's out here, I'm back!
    ...I'm actually the guy who invented the motto "Spoiler-Free til Episode 3"

18. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    Sorry GAry
    I've only been here since May 02, but a fan since 77.

19. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Wow! Awesome analysis by everyone in this thread.

I agree that after going through the melting pot, Padme is changed. I'm almost certain that was the intended symbolism. Remember that there are lots of mythological overtones in SW. I think that if I looked in a Joseph Campbell book, I'd find something about this.

20. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Wow, you guys take rationalizing and raise it to an art form!! Religious zealots could do no better. Gry, after several attempts, has finally talked himself into liking a scene in the movie that originally bothered him. Now he can relax in AOTC's warm, glowing, warming glow. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Well, isn't that special...

22. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Look everyone! It's dahveed 72! And he's making fun of us for liking AOTC!

Oh wait. He's been doing that all day.
    Nevermind.

23. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    fine ill give it a rest. sorry

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
  25. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Interesting post. There's only one problem with your idea. Such an important character motivation should not be so rediculously subtle. One of the biggest problems I have with AotC is that Padme's love for Anakin is never really explained.

As far as this particular moment goes, it would have worked wonders for her to address this during her " I truly, deeply, love you"(bleh :p ) speech. Something like "I've been thinking about this ever since I almost died in that factory" right before that line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.