The importance of the "melting pot" sequence

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Gry Sarth, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alottoni Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yep, here in Brazil we had to fight to be spoiler free. We had to wait a month and a half since it opened worldwide.

The reason was the WorldCup, FOX said.

Anyway, this thread was really revealing to me. Thanks Gry.
  2. MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling

star 2
    *reads thread* ha, who says Star Wars is JUST science fiction? There's enough great analysis here to convert a basher!

>>>>It's this value for others that leads me to think that it very likely might be Padmé who decides that Luke and Leia should be split up and hidden from Vader.

If you really think about it, this is REALLY sad and depressing! He loves her beyond words in EpII, then years after that he essentially wants to kill his own children. Imagine Padme having to see her husband die (not literally) and THEN having to part with one of her kids because she knows that it reduces the likelihood of them being tracked down by her evil husband who is now "more machine than man. Twisted and evil" so he can pour his poison in their ears.

It's thoughts like this that drive home Leia's simple recollection of Padme in ROTJ when she said she was "very kind - but...sad" (probably off there a bit).

Actually since everything in this thread justifies, makes understandable, and enforces the bond between Anakin and Padme, it also makes you feel WORSE for two (I can't believe I am quoting this cliche) "star-crossed lovers".

what a corny note to end on. sorry.

3. DarthHarper Jedi Knight

star 1
    After reading all of the great posts in this thread I have a few things to add.

First, though I agree there's a lot that can be read into the crucible scene, I really doubt that Lucas intended it to be connected to the love confession. Remember that in the shooting script the droids stayed on the ship and Padme & Anakin met more or less immediately with Dooku & pals. There wasn't a droid factory scene until one of several reshoots. Therefore it couldn't very well have been in the "master plan," which may speak to its subtlety, too. Even the "maker" didn't know that's what he was going to give us.

As for Padme facing her death and/or the death of Anakin, well, keep in mind why Obi-Wan is on that planet in the first place -- to find her ASSASSIN. So if she gets out of the melting pot alive and then SOMEHOW gets out of the arena alive, she can also pretty much rest assured that there is still someone in close proximity who wants her dead and NOW. What would you do in that situation? I'd likely curl up into a small ball of goo an whimper myself to death. Not Padme. Her death is even more certain than anyone else's. So she makes it past the arena beasties? Like Count Dooku says to Nute, "she WILL die." (Dang those Sith Lords are just wrong all the time!) :) Because of all this, the melting pot thing (if it was indeed intended to be the first blow to her mortality), can afford to be subtle; there's the subtlety of the assassin's ominous presence too, coupled (or tripled) with the not-so-subtle triad of beasties about to gobble everyone up. Death is all around her; why wouldn't she confess her feelings.

And for those of you who've had very close friends that you care for deeply...can't you see where someone in that dire a situation could confuse attachment, companionship, even love (small "l") for Love (big "l")? I know I'm crossing threads here, but I don't necessarily buy the Love thing from either side of the pairing, but I can see where both of them, as beaten up as they are by the lives they've chosen, can at least THINK they're in Love (again, big "l").

Think about the 10 years they've spent apart. From 9 to 19, from 14 to 24. Whether death is the root cause of her confession or not, dang those raging hormone years without any kind of partnering of any kind on either side? It's no WONDER Anakin's behavior at the fireside is enough to creep out some audience members. Puberty's busting through at the first female he gets to be alone with, and at fireside no less!

O.k., I'm sorry, I know I've overstepped my bounds. I'll try to be good from now on. :)

And finally, to the person who asked back on page 1 of this post why there's sand on Geonosis, which is otherwise rocky. If she fell that far onto rocks, she would be dead. It's poetic (planet-creator's) license to conjure up a soft spot for her to land on. Also, they'd already paid the rent for their Tunisia locale, so...
  4. Jake_Barnes Jedi Master

star 4
    You've clearly overstepped your bounds. Prepare to be destroyed!

[evil_laugh] MUAH HA HA!
  5. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Thank you all guys, I´m truly, deeply flattered by all your praises of this thread. Thanks to all the great contributions everyone gave to this rich discussion.

Star Wars is just marvelous.

Oh, and thanks OB3, hehe...
  6. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    This is another wonderful observation that I totally missed when I watched the movie. Yes, Padme's life is in danger throughout and here whole life has always been shadowed by war and death. I think up until this point though, she has done a remarkable job of keeping her emotions separate from her duty. I think she, at the very most, would be the type to maybe cry into her pillow at night.
    But since she has been introduced to Anakin again, little cracks had appeared in that giant emotional wall. First, as many others have pointed out, he treats her like a woman, not a politician. He makes a habit of complementing her at every opportunity. And he also is not afraid to be emotionally honest and open. Combine that with the fact that she had to comfort him when his mother was killed, and she is very emotionally overwhelmed by the time they get to Geonosis. Then, right off the bat, she and Anakin are separated. She has to make it through the droid factory on her own, and unforunately lands in the inescapable melting pot. Luckily, R2 is there to save her, as he always is throughout the movies, but she is a prime candidate for an emotional breakdown. The wall has finally been torn down, and she is ready to share her feelings with Anakin.
  7. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I think the main problem we as an audience had with understanding Padmé´s motivation to behave as she does towards the end of the movie is the fact that Ep2 is a prequel, and we have a lot of knowledge of how things will flow. We know Padmé WILL NOT die until Ep3 (though she won´t necessarily die in Ep3), so we never aknowledge that she´s having her life really threatened time and again through Ep2. Nobody thought for a second she could have died when the Royal Cruiser exploded, nobody worried about those poisonous worms, nobody feared those Geonosians attacking her, or those sharp and heavy machines missing her by less than an inch, or her iminent melting on the iron pot, or those wild beast in the arena, or droids, or whatever.. uff... And yet she faced ALL those life-threatening situations.
    I remember on my 1st viewing, when she said "our lives are about to be destroyed anyway", thinking "no they´re not! it´s just a death arena, you´ll easily get out of this one", so her speech didn´t make much sense to me. But hey, IT WAS A DEATH ARENA! She WAS going to die.

I´m sure we all felt MUCH more worried with Mace Windu in his battle with Jango than with any of the multiple threats to Padmé. I really thought he would die when Dooku ordered the droids to finish them off.

...I´m looking forwards to fearing for her life in Ep3, yet another reason to stay spoiler-free...
  8. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
  9. Charu Jedi Padawan

Nice thread Gry!

Long time no seeing you in the concil...

Nice to see you back.

Charu
  10. OB3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    This topic connects with the topic
    Why did GL include battle droid
    factory scene.
  11. Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.